Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Key Fobs not working

140447 Views 57 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  Jimmy crafton
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone knows what the heck is going on, I have a 4 month old 2011 Chevy Cruze and all of a sudden my key fobs are not working, it worked about 20 mins ago and when I got home to try lock my car it didn't work. I tried my second one which I keep in the house and same thing, lock, unlock, trunk, panic, nothing works. Called my dealership and they didn't have anyone available, just said you have to come in. I am not going to change the battery because again, it's been 4 months and the 2nd key fob was brand new. Does it need a reprogram for some reason?

Thanks.

Edit: And now all of a sudden it has started working, both of them, what the heck, should I be worried?
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Cruze also. Also having the same problems. It has been in the dealership here in Wichita Kansas 4 times now. Once had to have it towed. This car has made me lose my job and my wife is on probation at her job. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life was buying the Chevy Cruze. The dealership says that there is nothing wrong with the car. They say that it is not a problem on any other car and that we are not telling the truth about it not unlocking, starting, remote starting or anything to do with the fob. I am beyond frustrated. I took off work yesterday to take the car back to the dealership for them to again tell me nothing is wrong!!! No codes!!! Take the pile of crap back home, there is nothing wrong with it. The last time this happen there was a satellite disabled or something on the dash and they got codes that time. But all they did is replaced the battery cable. I have worked in electronics for the last 21 years until my Cruze lost my job for me, but I know that replacing the battery cables was a way to "pass the buck" and just a stupid way for them to buy time until the warranty expires. I have been a Chevrolet lover since I started driving until now. This car and the service is beyond the worst experience I have ever been through. So, if you are reading this thread and thinking about a Cruze... DON'T DO IT!!!!

· Premium Member
492 Posts
Most common cause for both fobs not working is the ignition switch cover not closing. Take a look at the small cover for the ignition lock cylinder. When you pull the key out it should shut. If you pull the key out and the cover stays open your remote will not work.

Why is this thread in powertrain?

Attachments

Reactions: fl38583

· Registered
2 Posts
Mine doesn't have the ignition switch. It has a place for a key in the center console. So, this is not what mines problem is. But thanks for the reply.

Most common cause for both fobs not working is the ignition switch cover not closing. Take a look at the small cover for the ignition lock cylinder. When you pull the key out it should shut. If you pull the key out and the cover stays open your remote will not work.

Why is this thread in powertrain?

· Registered
17 Posts
Any updates on this? I'm having the same problem with my 2013 Sonic. The dealer replaced an electronic part a few weeks ago. This seemed to do the trick until a few days ago.

I used to be able to insert the key, turn it to accessory, then remove the key and the fob would work. That doesn't even work anymore.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my name is diego i bought a chevy cruze a week ago (actually 5 days ago) 2014 brand new 0 miles, my first time i was happy until i noticed that my keyless entry stopped working 10 minutes after i turn off the car, i need to open it with the key then it starts working again. I thought buying a new car would solve the any problems a car with 200 miles has more issues than my old car. Anyways i took it to the dealer, they gave me a rental ( free, but i need to pay insurance $20+ a day) so you understand my rush i dont want to keep paying for a car i did not intend to have and i dont want to keep waiting it has been two days and it may take 3 more, the dealer doesnt know the problem, is a new car, brand new car. I really want a refund but i dont think i can ask for that any ideas?

· Premium Member
5,470 Posts
I'm assuming you are in the USA.

If so, start by calling your insurance company and ask if the rental car is covered.....USA residents with decent insurance will find they have coverage.....it moves to the car you are operating.
If so, then cancel the add on insurance someone talked you into.

That'll make you feel better about the rental.

I know it is frustrating to encounter a problem on a new car but better now than two weeks out of warranty......better it shows a problem right away.

Refund huh......ain't gonna happen so don't get too excited about the idea.
Be patient, the dealer wants it out of their shop more than you want it at home......try to not pester them.....they'll figure it out and this will be nothing but a memory down the road.

Rob

· Registered
29 Posts
This is interesting. I have been talking to my dealership for a long time about the second key fob for my car. Evidently they can't find it! I bought the car in May and after a few months I just gave up trying to get them to do anything. I go to a different dealership for everything with my car now and I do have a back up battery for my key fob in case the battery dies. I have had no problems with the key fob itself, but reading things like this do make me nervous about problems occurring. I suppose that because I have the push to start style ignition this problem is possibly avoided? Very interesting.

· Registered
16 Posts
Both my key remotes started having issue when I got home today. Had been working perfectly fine until today, almost 2 years with my 2012 Cruze. It's not a battery issue. My wife rarely uses her keys and her remote is acting the exact same way as mine. It will work sometimes if I hold the key down for the lock, unlock or trunk functions. Pressing the keys quickly won't work at all anymore? I tried inserting my key in the ignition a few time to make sure it was closed when key removed. Remotes started working better, then went back to the having to hold button down? I guess I could drive around the block to see if some new interference is messing with my remote? Sometimes nothing works, until I start the car and turn it back off? Any other suggestions?

· Registered
1 Posts
When I drove home last night from a restaurant a mile away, where the remote worked, it would not work to lock the car or open the trunk. I went into my apartment and got the other key we hardly ever use, tried it and it did not work either. So it is doubtful it was the batteries. When I went out this morning, I tried my key again and it worked fine.

Very weird, and this seems to have happened to a lot of Cruze owners. Next time, I will check the cover on the lock.

· Registered
104 Posts
For you guys who went to the dealer and got it fixed, what did they end up fixing or replacing? I am having these issues with both key fobs, both with batteries replaced and do not want to have to go back to the dealer... I was just there a few weeks ago.

· Conservative Acoustic Foam
458 Posts
Radio Frequency Interference is a known issue with some of these systems. When Mobil came out with the speedpass some of the newer Corvette's at the time would pull up to the pump and have to get pushed away before you could start them.
That is hilarious...and frightening.

· Registered
3 Posts
For my car the FOB's stop working ~30 minutes after I lock the car. Both of them stop working even with new batteries. If I manually open the door with the key, the car alarm starts. Then I can turn the alarm off with my key fobs and they both start working again. The dealer thinks the Door Lock Receiver is faulting and going to sleep or halting after some time (in my case ~30 minutes after locking). We are going to replace the door lock receiver is see if it resolves the issue. For 2014 LT the part number is 13503205. There are 2 versions of the door lock receiver, one for cars with key-less start, and another for cars w/o. My car does not have key-less start. Will let you know if this fixes the problem for me. This is a special order part, so may take a week before I know.

These parts are available on ebay and I think it is located behind the drivers mirror. However, I am not sure it they need dealer programming. My is still under warranty so didn't go that route.

Update: Found this tech link article. http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=3081

Update 2: Replacement of the door lock receiver fixed my issue.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
For my car the FOB's stop working ~30 minutes after I lock the car. Both of them stop working even with new batteries. If I manually open the door with the key, the car alarm starts. Then I can turn the alarm off with my key fobs and they both start working again. The dealer thinks the Door Lock Receiver is faulting and going to sleep or halting after some time (in my case ~30 minutes after locking). We are going to replace the door lock receiver is see if it resolves the issue. For 2014 LT the part number is 13503205. There are 2 versions of the door lock receiver, one for cars with key-less start, and another for cars w/o. My car does not have key-less start. Will let you know if this fixes the problem for me. This is a special order part, so may take a week before I know.

These parts are available on ebay and I think it is located behind the drivers mirror. However, I am not sure it they need dealer programming. My is still under warranty so didn't go that route.

Update: Found this tech link article. Incorrect Remote Control Door Lock Receiver
Hi JASCruze,

We're very sorry to hear about this key fob concern you're experiencing with your Cruze but are glad to see that your dealership is working with you to resolve this. Please keep us updated on the repair and should you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to send us a private message.

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
21 Posts
And if you have a second gen? The type that has no keys whatsoever!!!

Momma' used remote start on hers this morning to let it warm up while she was getting ready to go out the door to work.

So it's sitting just outside the garage running with the doors locked of course and she goes to get in the car and nothing happens. The door buttons do not work. How remote does not work. She stepped back in the house and got my remote it doesn't work! Now we're talking about remotes that are 2 months old. The car wasn't even built until something like October or November and we did not buy it until December.

I might add that she could look through the window and see a message that said no remote detected.

But, once she unlocked it with the app, she got in the car and the remotes started working again!!! WTFrick? Arrrrggghhhh

So anyhow... The car is sitting there running and you can't get in it! There is no Keyhole, there is no hold the remote until the windows roll down, but there IS a hammer if we want to do that.

So the next thing I thought off was hey let's use the app maybe we can get in it with the app. We both have OnStar as well as the My Chevy app on our phones (for both her Cruze and my Silverado).

Sure enough... The app unlocked the car! Which quite honestly surprised the crap out of me because getting the satellite signal in the garage would have been impossible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
205 Posts
I am having intermittent keyless lock / unlock issues on my 2013. Both FOBs, new batteries. GM CSR, please don't tell me to go to the dealer.

Weird stuff happening check this out, I made the issue happen consistently:

When I hardwired a radar detector / car black box, I tapped power from the Reading Lamp circuit at the BCM. With A-B-A-B testing (I installed a mechanical switch to shut down the accessory devices), it proved that when the devices were powered, the car would not respond to keyless commands, very consistently, like I said A-B-A-B testing was performed.

I then added a relay to the interior light circuit and pulled power off of a larger 12v load circuit at the BCM, the relay is a minature 2 amp mechanical relay with similar amp draw to the interior lamps.

This solved the problem for the most part, but I will still walk back to my car if I am >20 ft away to lock the vehicle. Walking to my car after work (large parking lot), i am able to unlock from >20ft pretty consistently, it seems like the issue is trying to lock the car after driving it, say 10% of the time it happens the keyless command is not recognized, I just walk towards the car and keep hitting lock until it locks.

· Registered
316 Posts
I am having intermittent keyless lock / unlock issues on my 2013. Both FOBs, new batteries. GM CSR, please don't tell me to go to the dealer.

Weird stuff happening check this out, I made the issue happen consistently:

When I hardwired a radar detector / car black box, I tapped power from the Reading Lamp circuit at the BCM. With A-B-A-B testing (I installed a mechanical switch to shut down the accessory devices), it proved that when the devices were powered, the car would not respond to keyless commands, very consistently, like I said A-B-A-B testing was performed.

I then added a relay to the interior light circuit and pulled power off of a larger 12v load circuit at the BCM, the relay is a minature 2 amp mechanical relay with similar amp draw to the interior lamps.

This solved the problem for the most part, but I will still walk back to my car if I am >20 ft away to lock the vehicle. Walking to my car after work (large parking lot), i am able to unlock from >20ft pretty consistently, it seems like the issue is trying to lock the car after driving it, say 10% of the time it happens the keyless command is not recognized, I just walk towards the car and keep hitting lock until it locks.

Steelmesh, I also Hardwired my Radar detector to the Maplight right at the maplight on my 2012 LTZ, I have issues contstantly with the car telling me Remote not detected! My car starts up usually all the time, but sometimes it takes a few times, even once the car is running, remote not detected comes up! Remote Commands work fine when out of the car, and it always unlocks and locks and detects when I'm near, just acts up when I'm trying to start!
So what exactly is the delay time on your Relay to help with these issues? Have pics?Thanks! Ive had the reciver replaced already with no help! Dealer always tells me its my Radar Detector causing the interference too

· Registered
205 Posts
Steelmesh, I also Hardwired my Radar detector to the Maplight right at the maplight on my 2012 LTZ, I have issues contstantly with the car telling me Remote not detected! My car starts up usually all the time, but sometimes it takes a few times, even once the car is running, remote not detected comes up! Remote Commands work fine when out of the car, and it always unlocks and locks and detects when I'm near, just acts up when I'm trying to start!
So what exactly is the delay time on your Relay to help with these issues? Have pics?Thanks! Ive had the reciver replaced already with no help! Dealer always tells me its my Radar Detector causing the interference too
Something like this relay: TX2-12V-TH Panasonic Electric Works | Relays | DigiKey

I did this at the BCM connector:

MODIFIED WIRING DIAGRAM:

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.