Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost the ability to remove my key from the ignition or to move my car from park without using the over ride buttons. Any ideas why? Curiously, I was having an issue with the engine dying in extreme heat prior to this. The traction control warning would activate. My mechanic suspected an issue with the transmission but we could never figure it out for sure. Now that the key and shifter are locked I have no problems with it dying.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Check your battery.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I haven’t heard of many issues like this. Do you have 800 key chains hanging off your keychain? Maybe all the weight wore out the lock cylinder. Maybe it’s time to take it apart and investigate what’s going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven’t heard of many issues like this. Do you have 800 key chains hanging off your keychain? Maybe all the weight wore out the lock cylinder. Maybe it’s time to take it apart and investigate what’s going on.
Haha, I have 1 keychain and 3 keys. I think it's likely a manufacturing issue.

·
Premium Member
8,011 Posts
I suspect it's the shifter. You can't remove the key until the shiftier is in park. And, you can't move the shifter from park unless you're stepping on the brake. It seems like something with the shifter is broken or out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Haha, I have 1 keychain and 3 keys. I think it's likely a manufacturing issue.
? just checking... my sister in law has a keychain from everywhere on the planet and one key for the car. Can’t be good for the ignition.

Anyways... pull up the bezel and check to see if everything is good with the shifter. I’ve seen the linkage come apart and cause starting issues and keys getting locked up in the ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently lost the ability to remove my key from the ignition or to move my car from park without using the over ride buttons. Any ideas why? Curiously, I was having an issue with the engine dying in extreme heat prior to this. The traction control warning would activate. My mechanic suspected an issue with the transmission but we could never figure it out for sure. Now that the key and shifter are locked I have no problems with it dying.
I had the same problem and the dealer replaced my computer to the tune of about $700, this included labor and I have not had a problem with the key since

1 - 12 of 12 Posts