Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Cruze LTZ RS. It has the keyless entry, but like 2 weeks ago I went to get in my car and it wouldn't open, I pushed the unlock button and nothing happened. Eventually I unlocked the door with the key and my alarm goes off and I couldn't silence it (which made wonder what was the point of the keyhole in the door if there isn't one in the car) well I couldn't start the car since it wouldn't detect the key. I had to leave it and get the dealership to tow it. They supposedly replaced the receiver and ordered a new key fob. All was fine for like a week and it did it again, needless to say it's in the shop again.

Is this happening to anyone else?

I looked around and didn't see any threads on this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
you said ordered a new key fob, just making it clear, you are using that now? or its on order?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my 2012 LTZ Cruze since October. Never had a problem with the keyless entry (knock on wood). Their has been about 2 times that I get in the car but the car can't start and says the key isn't being detected, but on the second try it would run, let me know how it goes for ya, hope they have you fixed up.

I have a 2012 Cruze LTZ RS. It has the keyless entry, but like 2 weeks ago I went to get in my car and it wouldn't open, I pushed the unlock button and nothing happened. Eventually I unlocked the door with the key and my alarm goes off and I couldn't silence it (which made wonder what was the point of the keyhole in the door if there isn't one in the car) well I couldn't start the car since it wouldn't detect the key. I had to leave it and get the dealership to tow it. They supposedly replaced the receiver and ordered a new key fob. All was fine for like a week and it did it again, needless to say it's in the shop again.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Actually in cases where your fob has died according to the manual you can pop off the black cover in front of the emergency brake. Under it there is a key slot where you can place your key in. Once inserted you press the start button with your foot on the brake to start your car like normal. :)

Edit:

the black cover almost looks like a small little space for sticking your change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had my 2012 LTZ Cruze since October. Never had a problem with the keyless entry (knock on wood). Their has been about 2 times that I get in the car but the car can't start and says the key isn't being detected, but on the second try it would run, let me know how it goes for ya, hope they have you fixed up.
That would happen to me too, it even did it once while I was driving, but I thought it was just a glitch.

They said it started right up for them and it gave them no problems, though I don't know if to believe them. I just took the car we'll see if it happens again.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts

ahgustiin,
I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your vehicle. I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me at anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of day ago. When we approached the car the trunk wouldn't open at first, after a couple of tries it opened. Then when we tried the door handes it would not unlock. I used the key and the alarm went off. After entering the vehicle and trying the start button the doors locked and the alarm continued. I set my remote in the small tray in front of the cup holder and it was no help. I remembered seeing what looked like a key slot under the mat of that tray when I test drove another Cruze, so I pulled the mat up and stuck the key in and tried to start it. At that point it started and the DIC said "theft attempted!". Since then both remote seem to be working fine.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Chevy really needs to do something about the alarm going off when you use your regular key. Does anybody know why the alarm goes off like that? Is it because the car was locked with the key fob and not the key?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same thing happen to me just today. However when I unlocked the door with the actual key the alarm did go off, but then I started the car and the alarm shut off and I had theft attempted on my display. What do I do to get our RKE to be recognized again?

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have the same thing happen to me just today. However when I unlocked the door with the actual key the alarm did go off, but then I started the car and the alarm shut off and I had theft attempted on my display. What do I do to get our RKE to be recognized again?

rj5838,
I would suggest that you take your vehicle into your dealership and have them look into this for you. Please keep me posted on this and if you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are instructions in the manual on how to reset the car/fob security link.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had a "theft attempted" message on my car when I went to start it this morning. What can cause this? It was in my driveway all night, alarm never sounded, and there really isn't any chance that anyone went near it - I live in a quiet private community 300 feet off the nearest road....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually in cases where your fob has died according to the manual you can pop off the black cover in front of the emergency brake. Under it there is a key slot where you can place your key in. Once inserted you press the start button with your foot on the brake to start your car like normal. :)

Edit:

the black cover almost looks like a small little space for sticking your change.

No start button on my brake lever. You have any pictures of said button?

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I just had a "theft attempted" message on my car when I went to start it this morning. What can cause this? It was in my driveway all night, alarm never sounded, and there really isn't any chance that anyone went near it - I live in a quiet private community 300 feet off the nearest road....
Last winter when my girlfriend went to get into the car in the morning for the ice scraper(passsenger door, since we keep on passenger floorboard). She found the door frozen shut, it gave a bit but she could not open. She she did get into the drivers side and drove home.

Later that day I heard the car alarm going off but by the time I walked to look it stopped. That evening we saw the theft attempted message. I think that frozen door got opened part way and tripped the message, as it has not happened since. Knowing this I would assume that any door, hood or trunk left partially open or a bad switch could trip the message.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts