Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2014 Chevy Cruze. Did the unthinkable yesterday. Left keys in ignition, went in to fast food restaurant. As I went to leave, I go searching for my keys.
I had left them in the ignition - car was in park, radio on.

I had done that with another GM car (just once) and as I left, the car started pinging to alert me to my error.

I am very fortunate this time that the unlocked car, keys in ignition, was not stolen - any suggestions what can I do to make the Cruze trigger a response so I never do that again.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
My mom and I went to Costco last Friday in my dad's 2014 MKZ. We get out and I asked her if she locked the car as we walk away (she gets forgetful in her old age). She says, I thought it locked itself, because the car has keyless entry and start/stop like the Cruze LTZ. I said idk, but I wouldn't trust it. She start fumbling around for the key, can't find it. Walk back up to the car, and the key is sitting right there smack dab in the middle of the driver's seat, must have fallen out of her pocket. Good thing I decided to question!

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Have 2014 Chevy Cruze. Did the unthinkable yesterday. Left keys in ignition, went in to fast food restaurant. As I went to leave, I go searching for my keys.
I had left them in the ignition - car was in park, radio on.

I had done that with another GM car (just once) and as I left, the car started pinging to alert me to my error.

I am very fortunate this time that the unlocked car, keys in ignition, was not stolen - any suggestions what can I do to make the Cruze trigger a response so I never do that again.
If the key is in lock position, the position where the key can be removed, it is supposed to 'ping'.
If the key was in the accessory position, (it was, your radio was playing with the door opened) then it will not ping.

Try to train yourself into a conscious, step by step, shut down proceedure.

I follow a series of steps....might sound silly but it is to prevent these moments of brain fade.

Park car, turn off heater (or A/C) blower, turn off radio, remove seat belt, shut car off and bail.

Over time, if you think about it, everybody develops their own series of tasks before leaving the car....try this or create your own but the key word here is 'Slow Down'.....lunch will wait.

Rob

·
Registered
274 Posts
Try to train yourself into a conscious, step by step, shut down procedure.

I follow a series of steps....might sound silly but it is to prevent these moments of brain fade.

Over time, if you think about it, everybody develops their own series of tasks before leaving the car....try this or create your own but the key word here is 'Slow Down'.....lunch will wait.
Rob
:iagree:
I agree, once I learned to slow down, I made far fewer mistakes!

I have a step by step routine for leaving my house every day to avoid locking myself out. I have a deadbolt.
....I will now work on my car exit plan!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My mom and I went to Costco last Friday in my dad's 2014 MKZ. We get out and I asked her if she locked the car as we walk away (she gets forgetful in her old age). She says, I thought it locked itself, because the car has keyless entry and start/stop like the Cruze LTZ. I said idk, but I wouldn't trust it. She start fumbling around for the key, can't find it. Walk back up to the car, and the key is sitting right there smack dab in the middle of the driver's seat, must have fallen out of her pocket. Good thing I decided to question!
I have the Cruze SRI Z in Aus with keyless entry and push start. If I leave the key in the car the horn beeps 3 times. I am sure this can be configured in the car settings in Mylink.

·
10,711 Posts
I have the Cruze SRI Z in Aus with keyless entry and push start. If I leave the key in the car the horn beeps 3 times. I am sure this can be configured in the car settings in Mylink.
I think it also did those annoying beeps if you started the car and left with the keys.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
I thought it dinged either way when exiting, plus for some reason my CRUZE does not auto lock. I know if you have a smartphone you can unlock the 2014 CRUZE for 5 years with the app, and you can also call OnStar or Roadside service to assist you. I always carried a spare key with my other cars which we can't do with these new keys. Why do they make this style key?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Good question Eddy .
Seems like you really have to be on your toes these days .

·
10,711 Posts
I thought it dinged either way when exiting, plus for some reason my CRUZE does not auto lock. I know if you have a smartphone you can unlock the 2014 CRUZE for 5 years with the app, and you can also call OnStar or Roadside service to assist you. I always carried a spare key with my other cars which we can't do with these new keys. Why do they make this style key?
They make a Camaro Ignition Recall key that is less bulky. I may swap over to it one of these days. Do you still have the black plastic tag that came on your keys or stapled to one of the books in the glove box(when you got but removed for obvious reasons)?

·
Epic Beard Man
5,388 Posts
Yes, my LTZ Cruze does this as well, and like Merc said if I get out with the car running. The MKZ beeps if the key is left inside while running, but it didn't do it with the car off for some reason. My dad may have turned it off though, I'm not sure.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
There's a setting in the radio to turn that on.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, my old boss always made fun of me when riding with me, always put the keys in my pocket and locked the doors. He said he always left his keys in the ignition. But one day his brand new Lincoln Continental was not there. Since he had a reputation for leaving his keys in the ignition, his insurance company said no.

They did find his car three months later, but looked like it went through a salvage yard crusher. I don't even think about removing my keys, completely automatic. But extra particular with this Cruze, this has got to be the easiest vehicle ever made to lock yourself out of. Won't even leave this thing for a second without the key in my pocket, wind can close the door, and there you will be standing.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
They make a Camaro Ignition Recall key that is less bulky. I may swap over to it one of these days. Do you still have the black plastic tag that came on your keys or stapled to one of the books in the glove box(when you got but removed for obvious reasons)?

I would assume you're talking about the key on the right? I've always known that to be a "valet" key most companys give you a 3rd set like some sort of key like that, I got one with my Scion and with my Infiniti.

·
10,711 Posts
I would assume you're talking about the key on the right? I've always known that to be a "valet" key most companys give you a 3rd set like some sort of key like that, I got one with my Scion and with my Infiniti.
Yes, key on the right is what the Camaro's have and the key on the left is "Neutered" so they no longer can use it in the ignition after recall was performed.

Black tag on bottom between 2 keys is what you need to get keys cut for fob.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Yes, key on the right is what the Camaro's have and the key on the left is "Neutered" so they no longer can use it in the ignition after recall was performed.

Black tag on bottom between 2 keys is what you need to get keys cut for fob.
Oh sure I still have that but I don't carry it with me. As I mentioned my Car doesn't Auto lock except when taking off in drive. Plus the Dealer has ways of duplicating the key in the event you lose it. I am on the 12th floor of this Hotel and just looked out and locked my Car, well it was already locked. Neat to see it flash! I remote started my Car in a different Hotel from the Elevator the other day. Didn't think it would work but it did! Better yet when I came back to this Hotel my laptop auto connected and for free. Its supposed to be $10.95 a day. Heck the room is only $10.99 and a mighty fine room overlooking the Colorado River and Laughlin "Strip"!

·
10,711 Posts
Oh sure I still have that but I don't carry it with me. As I mentioned my Car doesn't Auto lock except when taking off in drive. Plus the Dealer has ways of duplicating the key in the event you lose it. I am on the 12th floor of this Hotel and just looked out and locked my Car, well it was already locked. Neat to see it flash! I remote started my Car in a different Hotel from the Elevator the other day. Didn't think it would work but it did! Better yet when I came back to this Hotel my laptop auto connected and for free. Its supposed to be $10.95 a day. Heck the room is only $10.99 and a mighty fine room overlooking the Colorado River and Laughlin "Strip"!
Sounds like you are having fun. I had a room on the 11th floor of a hotel called Hotel ML formerly known as Marriott in Mt. laurel NJ. The 2LT remote started from the 11th floor balcony. It was great as it was winter time and I had the family with me.

Most my places I had free wifi but I'm using my iPhone as a hot spot with the data plan I have.

I never used the auto lock feature ever even when I had the keyless LTZ for a few. It seems like something to tell the insurance you have but never use it. I'm always working on the car and if I washed it I'm not rolling these windows down. They seem to streak on the inside too easily. When going through the gate on base, I'll open the door and just hand my ID that way.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Still haven't broken down yet to lay out another 70 bucks or so for a spare key. Just make darn sure what I got is in my pocket.

Most of the time, as long as I don't think about it, just get in and slide that key in that flat area. But if I think about it, screwed, will fumble around it for a half an hour trying to find that slot.

O4 Cavalier was not this way, had a recessed key slot with a ring with a couple of thumb tabs on it. So not putting the force on the key, just slide it in, would find the hole, hit the thumb tabs and away you go.

Just saying Chevy did know once how to do it right, whoever designed this key hole was smoking crack. And also think about those marketing guys. Let's screw the hail out of our valued customers if they need a spare key. Must stay up all night dreaming of other ways to screw us.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts