Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hear that k and n filters are bad and let a lot of particles through. bUT what about the cold air intake setup? This boosts horsepower a little and allows you to hear the turbo. My main concern is that the filter keeps the engine safe. So if not k and n is there another cold air intake system that is better? Just really trying to hear the turbo and maybe get a couple extra horsepower.. perhaps even mpg.. mostly though keep the engine safe and clean. Right now I just have a drop in STP filter which I hear are good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the K&N Typhoon and have had no problems using it. You just need to make sure you don't over oil it when cleaning. But, since it does flow more air, that does mean there is more of a chance for particles to get through... Most of the gains come from bypassing the intake resonator which, you can always do without getting a new intake. There are other intakes such as injen and AEM, but just choose the one you like the most.

Also note, cold air intakes do not do much for something that goes to a hot turbo which is why sri intakes I feel are a better choice... they are cheaper and easier to install and would get the same gains.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
The AEM intake uses a non oiled filter and should provide superior air filtration compared to the stock filter as well as add that sound your looking for. Personally I will not used an oiled filter on any car after seeing the mess a brand new one made to the intake of my previous car.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
I too run aftermarket intakes on 2 of my vehicles ... and I use non-oiled filters on both, as I have had a fouled mass air sensor in the past from too much oil on a K&N from the factory. I don't think it happens too often, but it's mass produced and there is ALWAYS the possibility for a few to be over-oiled right out of the box. I'd say if you want a little better mileage use a short ram style setup. If you want a little bit more power go with the CAI setup. Either one will allow you to hear the turbo "whoosh" better.

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.