Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have problems removing any styrofoam cup from the cupholders? It's like you need to sacrifice a goat or something just to get the cupholder to release the cup to get it out of there. You literally cannot get the cup out with one hand without puncturing the cup or pulling the lid off.

I'm thinking about cutting out the rubber tabs in the front cupholder to solve the issue.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
My wife has mentioned that they're a PITA as they do not want to give up her Chik-Fil-A sweet tea! I agree that shortening the flaps might help. I rarely need cup holders so for me it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
same problem here i have found a cheap and simple way around this problem without clipping the flaps. i just put an empty cup in the holder and put my drink inside the cup it is also helpful when you happen to get a leaky cup from McDonalds

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Yes I agree if you get a 32oz styrofoam cup it will be held hostage out I have considered removing a couple of the rubber tabs. Removing 1 would still leave enough tension on the cup so it won't move around without holding the cup "hostage". Maybe duct tape a couple up so they don't grab so much. I just haven't done it yet. I will try the tape and see what that does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I agree if you get a 32oz styrofoam cup it will be held hostage out I have considered removing a couple of the rubber tabs. Removing 1 would still leave enough tension on the cup so it won't move around without holding the cup "hostage". Maybe duct tape a couple up so they don't grab so much. I just haven't done it yet. I will try the tape and see what that does.
What if you take out every other one I wonder?

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
I tried something. I have some Duct tape I taped back the front 2 rubber flaps and it makes it easier to remove a 32oz cup. I didn't cut anything just applied 2 pieces of strong tape. It is still snug but you can easily remove a cup now.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
same problem here i have found a cheap and simple way around this problem without clipping the flaps. i just put an empty cup in the holder and put my drink inside the cup it is also helpful when you happen to get a leaky cup from McDonalds
One time they gave me a cup with a block of ice inside, so when i tried to break my straw through the ice, i poked a hole in the side of the cup. Took me like a minute to realize it, and by then my pants had a nice size stain, and I had to hold the cup sideways until i drank enough to get under the hole >_<.

And of course my friend just laughed his ass off the whole time.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I haven't experienced this problem yet. My usual routine when I buy a drink in a disposable cup is to transfer it to my travel mug. The travel mug slips out just fine and I feel safer using that while driving compared to a disposable cup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One time they gave me a cup with a block of ice inside, so when i tried to break my straw through the ice, i poked a hole in the side of the cup. Took me like a minute to realize it, and by then my pants had a nice size stain, and I had to hold the cup sideways until i drank enough to get under the hole >_<.

And of course my friend just laughed his ass off the whole time.
leave it to McDonalds to give you more ice than drink. I have finally started asking for mine with no ice but it still doesn't stop them from giving me a defective cup about once a month... one of my friends is probably poking the holes in mine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hate to be that guy..but theres a reason why they are so tight..so that when you stop short or turn a sharp corner the cup and liquid doesnt go all over the place
Hey there captain obvious...

Of course there is a reason for the tabs. They hold the smaller cups in place when the car is moving around. They essentially do nothing when larger cups are used though. they are moved and pushed to the very side of the plastic cup holder housing. The larger cups fill up the entire cavity, so they will not move around whether the tabs are there or not. That was the reason for my idea of taking the tabs out of the front cup holder and leaving them in the one behind it. If I have a smaller cup, I will place it in the holder with tabs. If I have a larger cup, I'll put it in the front one and not have to worry about it being held in with the jaws of life.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After pulling off my first Mickey D's coffee cup lid while not knowing my new Cruze was optioned with the Kung Fu Grip cup holders, I've learned to twist and pull up slowly to release the cup. Give it a try before trimming as it seems to work for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After pulling off my first Mickey D's coffee cup lid while not knowing my new Cruze was optioned with the Kung Fu Grip cup holders, I've learned to twist and pull up slowly to release the cup. Give it a try before trimming as it seems to work for me.
Yeah that's the way I do it currently, but it's still a fight.

Great username by the way... excellent movies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.