Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gen 1... I didnt have enough time to do a wet test last night. Just want wanted to know what they were.
Do you happen to have a borescope handy? Taking a quick look into the cylinders on my 2012 1.4T showed me what I needed (but didn't want to) see.

I would highly doubt you've skipped a tooth cam gears that some people have suggested, this engine has a very tight tolerance for cam timing and you'd see a CEL by now.

Here's the thread on my diagnosing my cracked ring lands, might help you our diagnosing it: https://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-gen1-1-4l-turbo/235283-thick-oil-smoke-high-rpm.html

I also did a comp. test, and I posted my numbers in there: From left to right, Cyl 1 = 250 psi cyl 2 = 250 psi Cyl 3 = 150 psi and Cyl 4 = 190psi <- Keep in mind the pistons were soaked in oil, so this is a skewed result

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
no, I don't.... been meaning to buy one, but just haven't yet.

I have jumped teeth on a timing chain before, and 99% of the time when you do it, the car will not run as good. (once on a Ford 302 V8 and once on a Ecotec 2.2) the Ecotec wouldn't even start after the timing chain jumped. just blows my mind that this motor only has 87K on it... but engine # 1 went too crap at 69k....

I am going to run it til she pukes and will just find another used motor again...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Unfortunately, it seems to be a bit of a common occurrence with downsized turbo engines. Low Speed Pre-Ignition appears to be the killer, from what I have gathered online: https://www.oronite.com/about/news/low-speed-pre-ignition.aspx

Knowing this, I try to keep the Rev's up when I start to roll into higher boost pressures (+10 PSI), If the TCU doesn't downshift while going up a hill, but the boost is rising, I down shift into 5th to keep the engine around 2K RPM, rather than the 1400-1500 it sometimes tries to hold it at. This could probably be automated with a tune, but I just haven't contacted BNR about it yet.

I guess the one upside is that since it's a pretty popular car, there should be enough wrecks to pull engines from lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
well, I replaced the boost sensor, and I am no longer getting the P0299 code anymore, but now getting a P0236 and once in a while a P2227.... so I wonder if I got a bad sensor from GM... P0236 is boost sensor performance. but it is running a much better, until the P2227 pops, then it goes into limp mode...

·
Registered
80 Posts
well, I replaced the boost sensor, and I am no longer getting the P0299 code anymore, but now getting a P0236 and once in a while a P2227.... so I wonder if I got a bad sensor from GM... P0236 is boost sensor performance. but it is running a much better, until the P2227 pops, then it goes into limp mode...
Turbo sensor P0236 AND Baro sensor P2227? I'm starting to think you may have a ground problem. All the ECU does is send 5 volts to the sensors. Then it reads what comes back, voltage wise. Bad ground will cause the return voltage to come in low or variable. Bang, limp mode.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts