Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 1.4turbo 6 AT.

Summer mileage continues to go up. I usually put on about 450-500 miles before I fill up (normally 13.5 gallons). This has gone up significantly since the warmer months have hit, my last two fill ups were 580 and 600 miles respectively (again both at 13.5 gallons). If all goes well my current fill up should prove to be the best, DIC shoes that I have 220 mi driven with an estimate of 490 mi to go. This is the longest I have been able to hold more than 700 miles combined. As the second half of the tank never seems to do as good as the first, I would expect to see about 680 total miles filling up with about 620 miles logged. Not too bad!!

A question about driving that I have is coasting. I have seen alot of talk about putting the car in neutral vs. not, but if I throw the car in neutral I have noticed that I can coast a much longer distance (sometimes 50% longer). The DIC reads 99mpg whether it is in neutral or not so arent I better off getting that 99mpg for longer distances? My 25 mile commute is almost all paved country roads and I work nights so there is very little traffic and lots of time and space to coast. Last night my door to door avg was 50.5 mpg.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
The DIC reads 99mpg whether it is in neutral or not so arent I better off getting that 99mpg for longer distances?
I believe the car cuts off the fuel to the engine if you leave it in gear. if you pop it out of gear, it has to use fuel to keep the engine alive.

The biggest problem with shifting into neutral is if you ever overshoot - it could get real ugly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the same year and engine and have been coasting in neutral also. My last fill up said 508 miles. I have heard to leave it in gear also but still do neutral. I may try the other way and see what happens.

·
Administrator
25,080 Posts
2012 1.4turbo 6 AT.

Summer mileage continues to go up. I usually put on about 450-500 miles before I fill up (normally 13.5 gallons). This has gone up significantly since the warmer months have hit, my last two fill ups were 580 and 600 miles respectively (again both at 13.5 gallons). If all goes well my current fill up should prove to be the best, DIC shoes that I have 220 mi driven with an estimate of 490 mi to go. This is the longest I have been able to hold more than 700 miles combined. As the second half of the tank never seems to do as good as the first, I would expect to see about 680 total miles filling up with about 620 miles logged. Not too bad!!

A question about driving that I have is coasting. I have seen alot of talk about putting the car in neutral vs. not, but if I throw the car in neutral I have noticed that I can coast a much longer distance (sometimes 50% longer). The DIC reads 99mpg whether it is in neutral or not so arent I better off getting that 99mpg for longer distances? My 25 mile commute is almost all paved country roads and I work nights so there is very little traffic and lots of time and space to coast. Last night my door to door avg was 50.5 mpg.
Take a look at Fuel Economy. If you meet the range requirements definitely post in that thread your odometer picture and gas receipt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts