Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to hand fee it now, was wondering why my door wasn't closing, safety belt hanging out the door.

Use a clock spring to retract these things, must be getting weak. Knew how to make good clock springs for over a hundred years. Could it be these are also made in China?

Almost sure not covered by any warranty, but could waste my time and check.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I haven't looked to see if it is the same, but my mom's 09' suburban did the same thing. Turns out the belt guide had a removable rubber protector that had come unsnapped and was causing it to bind. Just had to pop the tabs back in and it works fine again. Not sure if it is a similar setup, but it is worth a thought as if that is the case it is free to fix it.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Wash the belt webbing with clear water and towels.

Our sweat gets into the webbing and makes it stiff and then the retractor doesn't have enough spring to roll the belt in.

Odds are, nothing is wrong with the reel/spring.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On previous vehicle was able to remove the safety belt, very carefully disassemble it and wind up a few more turns on that clock spring. Too cold to do this now, will break all that plastic trying to remove it.

Could also be the cold causing this problem, it is February. It does retract okay if I pull it out a couple more feet, then let it go.

Don't know if Honda is still doing this, regardless of the reason with seat belt problems, would replace it for free, no questions asked. Ha, even had a German Shepherd pup chew up a belt, here is a new one for free. GM hasn't been so nice on this subject, even with one that broke and not even our fault, you want a new one, that will be 160 bucks!

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Had the same problem with our '92 Saturn SC. The shafts the belt reels turned on had rusted/corroded and bound up the mechanism. I was able to take them apart, sand the corrosion off, and coat the shafts with low temp white lithium grease. After 20 years the retractors still worked fine for my Brother-In-Law.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the same problem with our '92 Saturn SC. The shafts the belt reels turned on had rusted/corroded and bound up the mechanism. I was able to take them apart, sand the corrosion off, and coat the shafts with low temp white lithium grease. After 20 years the retractors still worked fine for my Brother-In-Law.
Notice also that inertia weight rust up to lock the roller, but I guess is you hit something hard enough, haven't tried it yet, may work free. All started with shoulder belts, if that weight doesn't move forward, the lap part of the belt can also become loose. An old fashion type lap belt never would come loose, so for all practical purposes, shoulder belts are worthless. They know this, added air bags like crazy. If these things don't kill you, not good at all for short people, one size does not fit all.

Sitting way too close to these dam things.

Does road salt really save lives? Salt does get into the air, and even on the inside of these shoulder belt rollers, we may add grease, OE's don't. Finally see where a ton of road salt can cause more than 3,800 bucks of road damage while also rusting out our bridges.

Against the law to take your snowmobile on the road, made for conditions like this. But kind of would like one with an encloser and a heater. Or even heaven forbid, let us go back to studded snow tires. Somebody is making a bundle with salt, but we sure are paying the price for it, like for 40 odd years now.

Heck, haven't met a guy yet that works for the government making all these laws that would last five minutes working for private industry. This is a major problem, call it politics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts