Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FYI I know this topic was mentioned in another post. I was just surprised to hear it mentioned on this radio program. The only reason I am bring it up again that and I heard things on this show I did not know before like the car company owns the ECU. !!! Even though you own the car.

We have a radio program on Saturdays and the first topic that was mentioned was the bill trying to be passed preventing(outlawing) modifying your ECM. I really wanted to call and mention that I "tuned" my engine, but I was driving and could not do so. He mentioned something that the manufacturers want to change the wording that you own the car but "we own the computer" so you cannot modify it. It is too complicated for you to work on or do anything to it. Here is some of the wording:
The dispute arises from a section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that no one thought could apply to vehicles when it was signed into law in 1998. But now, in an era where cars are rolling computing platforms, the U.S. Copyright Office is examining whether provisions of the law that protect intellectual property should prohibit people from modifying and tuning their cars.
Here's a site I found on the issue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/automakers-gearheads-car-repairs/

To say the least I was dumbfounded and tuned so ha!!!!!! I guess I am a criminal!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Time to ride the '87 Honda more.

Honda will probably say they "own" the rights to the digital instrument cluster...

Should have seen it coming. Noticed it on German cars. Like the transmission dipstick tube cap on Mercedes Benzes that said "MB Workshop Only" that appeared around 2000.

I'm still waiting for the label on the hood release..."NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. DO NOT OPEN."

·
Registered
420 Posts
The ECM controls many emissions and safety systems that could become a hazard to others if tampered. These systems allow my CTD to have advanced systems like multiple air bags, stability/traction control, advanced ecodiesel engine, 6 speed auto, advanced security, etc, etc for a reasonable price. My 2001 BMW 740i has many of the same systems but since most are mechanical instead of electronic it cost $69K when new. The BMW can be repaired by the owner but they better like it because they are regularly required. Aside from limiting do it yourself repairs I think the newest cars like the Cruze provide a lot more value than older ones. This would not be possible without multiple computer systems that would be screwed up by amateur mechanics. For $25K the CTD drives almost as well as the BMW with double the fuel economy.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
And when the Movie 1984 came out people thought it was far fetched (Yes the book was published first in 1949) talk about insightful......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts