Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my first post, and I wish it was on a more positive note. I've got about 2600 miles on my 2013 Cruze LTZ, just bought it last month (yes, I have a very long commute). I really do like the car, but it's certainly had a few quirks since I bought it. Nothing major, but a few items I wouldn't expect in a brand new car -- I won't get into those though, it's just me being picky. So anyway, I get in my car to go home tonight (we have a lot of rain bearing down on New England right now) and I sit down in the driver seat and feel a piece of water in my leg as I'm starting the car. I look up at the ceiling and good lord, there's water on my headliner. Now it's important to know, I HAVE NOT USED MY SUNROOF SINCE BUYING THE CAR. So where on earth did this leak come from? It's not like it's the first time it's rained since I bought the car. See picture below. Anyone else had this problem or something similar? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,904 Posts
That looks like it has been leaking a little for a while and now is starting to saturate and drip. I have never wanted a sunroof because I am tall and headroom would be a problem for me. My Son has a Mazda Tribute V6 and his sunroof leaks as well but his car is about 10 years old.

· Registered
40 Posts
Just bought My 13 cruz LTZ as well with a sunroof Hope I don't see this happen. However take it to the dealership and they should fix all your issues even replace that headliner

· Premium Member
909 Posts
More than likely the sunroof drain tubes are either kinked or clogged. Pull the car into the garage and open the roof and you will see them in the corners. Make sure there is nothing blocking them.

All sunroofs leak, but it's a matter of the tubes to drain the water away. You may even have a bad seal somewhere. Regardless, take it to the dealer to have them fix and replace the headliner.

· Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
ChazzyJ

I am sorry to read that you are experiencing this leak issue. I would suggest that you take the vehicle to your Chevrolet dealer. A diagnosis is an important part in determining the cause of the leak concern. I would be glad to find a dealer for you or call to schedule the appointment with your current dealer to have the source of the leak found and repaired. Please send me a private message if you would like my assistance in getting this issue resolved.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to the dealership Saturday Morning and they were unable to find any leak. Unfortunately the water had dried with no staining overnight, so there wasn't anything for them to look at, other than my picture. They tell me both drain tubes are connected, it passed the water test, and the soapy water pressurized cabin check. So what do you know? It's raining today and guess what? Yup, same problem. It's going to rain all night, so I'm going to cautiously leave it in the driveway tonight and hope the staining is still there in the AM. Then I'm going directly to the dealership and I'm not taking the car back until they figure something out. More to come...

5,722 Posts
I would like to create a file to document these issues in our system for you and work with you until they are resolved. Please send me a direct message including your name, address, VIN, current mileage and the dealer that you are working with if you would like my assistance.

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Premium Member
909 Posts
Dealer should have taped a garden hose to the roof and turned it on. They would have found the leak pretty quickly.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright, late last night I pulled it in the garage because it was literally dripping onto my floorboard. So it was about 75% dry this morning when I took it to the dealer. Showed them where I saw the leak begin. Called them 6 hours later at 1:00. They told me they couldn't find anything. They literally asked me, "does it leak when you have the door open or shut?" Really guys? It leaks when I'm nowhere close to the car and it's raining. They asked me to come down there so they could show me what they think was happening...like I was crazy. Anyhow, I went down there furious. Showed the shop foreman the pictures of the leak and his reply was, "oh wow, that is a substantial leak." No crap...did you not believe what I was saying. So I showed them what I was thinking and that I still believed the drain tube was the culprit. The mechanic that previously worked on it on Saturday said, "I checked the drain tubes on Saturday, they were fine." I looked at him and the shop foreman and said, "you guys need to drop this headliner, slowly pour water into the valley catch under the sunroof and watch it drain into the drain tubes." They agreed. Well I got a phone call at 5:15 saying they found the leak finally and guess what? Yup, it was the drain tube. The headliner does have a stain on it from last nights rain. I told them either get the stain removed or order me a new headliner. They said they would clean it up. Very frustrating process. It's not that they're not nice, the shop foreman was an incredibly professional individual. It was just very frustrating that they were insinuating that I was crazy and it wasn't truly leaking. Anyhow, I get the car back tomorrow morning. It is supposed to rain on Thursday and Friday, so I will be able to confirm whether the leak has been fixed relatively quickly. (P.S. yes, they taped a hose to the roof and could not replicate the leak).

5,722 Posts
Hey Chazzy J

Please update me after the weekend. I would like to know that the leak issue has been fixed properly. I am here to assist you with all of your vehicle issues!

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

· Premium Member
3,164 Posts
I would demand a new headliner if I were you! Most cars guys and detailing pros say to stay away from trying to clean headliners since they are so sensitive and can easily be damaged in the detailing process. I hope it all works out for you though. Let us know how it goes and demand they give you something free for your troubles, lol!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, so the leak is back for the 3rd time as of last night.

I am now leveraging Jackie as a channel of communication. I am also going directly to Chevrolet. This is the 3rd time the dealership will have to resolve this issue. After this I'm going to path of Lemon. It would appear this is unsolvable and I'm not going to continue to live with the fact that I have a defective new car. Dealership is keeping the car indefinitely until they get the leak figured out. Litigation will start shortly.

More info to come as it becomes available.

· Registered
55 Posts
Im having the same issue. Bought the car last Nov and it rained like mad for the first 2 weeks. No leak. I run this car thru the car wash twice a week, no leak. Today, I notice that after a very light rain, I had the stains where the A pillar meets the headliner like Mr Chaz. Where are the drain tubes exactly? Does someone have a pic?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts