Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 cruze eco with 48000 miles from new. Recently I have noticed after it snows there is water in the trunk on the left side near the trunk material flap.

From what I can see it is coming from the drivers side rear quarter, I cannot see the leak origin due to the double skin metal, however I can feel water residue behind there.

Today it rained heavily, however there was no water which has me confused. I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Any ideas, should I remove the fender well lining and bumper in attempt to seal the leak.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,537 Posts
Mine was leaking around the right taillight and have seen other report theirs were leaking from the same location.

Soaked EVERYTHING when it rained.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went on a 30 min interstate trip in the rain and there is water on the left side. The right side is dry. It does not look like the taillight is leaking.

·
Administrator
15,612 Posts
I just went on a 30 min interstate trip in the rain and there is water on the left side. The right side is dry. It does not look like the taillight is leaking.
Mine leaks on the left side as well. It's the seam in the sheet metal around the tail light, not the tail light itself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XtremeRevolution, did you have to remove the bumper to access the seam?

Jblackburn, reads like it is the bottom seam that runs along the bumper.

Where can I get the service manual for the cruze?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
15,612 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I'm fairly certain mine leaks at the seam behind the rear tail light on the drivers side, not behind the bumper.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
In early production years, there was an issue of these seams not being fully sealed or caulked at assembly time. It was fixed at the factory as it was likely a procedure issue. This sounds more like seam caulk failure. When my old '97 Civic got rear ended, the trunk leaked after the repairs. Took it back to the body shop and they put a worker in the trunk with a drop light and then sprayed high pressure water all over the back end until he saw where the water was entering the trunk. Just a thought.

·
16,537 Posts
In early production years, there was an issue of these seams not being fully sealed or caulked at assembly time. It was fixed at the factory as it was likely a procedure issue. This sounds more like seam caulk failure. When my old '97 Civic got rear ended, the trunk leaked after the repairs. Took it back to the body shop and they put a worker in the trunk with a drop light and then sprayed high pressure water all over the back end until he saw where the water was entering the trunk. Just a thought.
Yep, that's what they did with mine.

At the time, the car was covered in snow and it was near 0 outside. When it warmed up above freezing, water everywhere.

·
16,537 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I initially thought it was the bumper (it is slightly depressed in the middle where I set something heavy on it at Ikea), but from their description, I don't think so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: So the trunk is still leaking, this is ridiculous. I removed all the trunk trim, removed the taillight and I do not believe it is coming from there. To be on the same side I added automotive rtv sealant around the holes. I strongly believe it is coming from the drivers side rear quarter between the double skin sheet metal, in front of the plastic baffle. I am contacting GM, regardless of being out of the warranty, this is obviously a manufacturing defect that many people are experiencing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so GM customer care looked into the problem somewhat, there are no recalls. They contacted my local dealer and wanted me to bring the car in. However the impression I got was that I was going to be charged to diagnose the problem.

I decided to remove the rear bumper and examine anywhere water could be coming in. I added RTV around the baffles. However I found where the inner rear quarter metal meets the trunk metal had seam sealant that was hollow and crumbled in my fingers.

I removed the bad sealant and reapplied rtv to these areas. 2 months later after many many heavy rainstorms, it is bone dry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The section where you found the answer to your problem, was that spot under your bumper or by the wheel well? I'm having the same issue and I can see where water has been between the two pieces of metal, on the inside of the trunk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, 34,000 km from new, 2012 Chevy Cruze, just had to bail out the trunk. Back seat are wet. Looks like it has been going on for sometime. I rarely drive it. How did you get yours fixed? p.s. until this I was very happy with the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts