Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a real rough and very low idle after it warmed up. I got a check engine light and found the codes are for a lean condition in bank one and so kind of maf problem. Looking around I saw some people had a problem like this with an after market sri. I hqve had this intake and run 93oct in the car and have for about 7 months with no problem until now. . . Any ideas?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Check for a loose hose or connector.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A quick test would be to unplug the maf.

If the idle changes your maf is most likely working.

If the idle stays the same or gets better it's a good chance you have an issue with your maf.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Ya know, it wouldn't hurt to put a little spray on the MAP sensor while your at it. It seems as though some get a light oil coating coming off the turbo. It is screwed down with either a T10 or T15 (can't remember) star...not torx screw.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When your car is idling, give it a quick rev.

after you let off the gas, does the engine kind of "hang" in the rpms and gradually go down in steps, or does it come back to a normal idle speed immediately?

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Also, check your plugs aren't loose. That caused a funky sound and idle stumble for me until I figured it out.

And, x2 on cleaning both the MAF and MAP sensors. Quick-drying electrical contact cleaner is your friend. My MAP had a light oil coating on it when I cleaned it somewhere about 80-82k miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
more than likely an intake leak then.

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the maf and the intake tube and intake manifold. you are letting unmetered air in after the MAF sensor and it is trying to adjust itself because your MAF is reading one thing and your 02 sensors are reading something completely different. Spray the carb cleaner with the car running around the intake tube and intake manifold. When you spray it somewhere and the idle goes up/changes, then you have located your intake leak.

edit: I did a search to try to figure out which model Cruze you had, and saw you just did the resonator delete. You more than likely knocked something loose or forgot to hook something back up when you did that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the maf and the intake tube and intake manifold. you are letting unmetered air in after the MAF sensor and it is trying to adjust itself because your MAF is reading one thing and your 02 sensors are reading something completely different. Spray the carb cleaner with the car running around the intake tube and intake manifold. When you spray it somewhere and the idle goes up/changes, then you have located your intake leak.

edit: I did a search to try to figure out which model Cruze you had, and saw you just did the resonator delete. You more than likely knocked something loose or forgot to hook something back up when you did that.
Nothing I know of was knocked lose I havent done anything to the car in a few months and my idle problem has gone from a sputter now and then to hardly running at all over the course of two weeks

·
Registered
639 Posts

So how do you figure when he removed the resonator(under car towards the back) that he knocked something loose near the maf(under the hood up top in the FRONT)????

·
Registered
151 Posts
So how do you figure when he removed the resonator(under car towards the back) that he knocked something loose near the maf(under the hood up top in the FRONT)????
there is a thing called an intake resonator?

A resonator is something that baffles noise. This can be either in the form of something similar to a muffler, in the exhaust. Or in the intake, to keep intake noises down. The cruze has one on the exhaust and intake end. I just kind of thought that it was kind of common sense that I would be talking about the intake one, as I mentioned an "INTAKE LEAK". Apparently I was wrong.......

·
Registered
639 Posts
there is a thing called an intake resonator?

A resonator is something that baffles noise. This can be either in the form of something similar to a muffler, in the exhaust. Or in the intake, to keep intake noises down. The cruze has one on the exhaust and intake end. I just kind of thought that it was kind of common sense that I would be talking about the intake one, as I mentioned an "INTAKE LEAK". Apparently I was wrong.......
Ok I'm with ya now. Didn't think about the intake side.
My apologies.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just had to have the purge solenoid replaced on my 2011 Cruze LTZ RS. I had the P0171 (lean/emission) code pop up along with P0300 (misfire). I am still thinking my MAF is no reading correctly because after I drive the car for awhile with the ac on, it does not seem to be a spunky on acceleration vs when I first start to drive it. Additionally, after I let the car sit for a few minutes and the start it again, the idle fluctuates drastically, sometimes resulting in the engine stalling. This leads me to believe I have an MAF issue. I have had my car in and out of the dealer several times over the last couple of weeks to no avail. I think my MAF is acting up, but not enough to throw a code.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts