Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leased a 2012 Blue Granite Metallic Cruze LS with the automatic transmission on January 12, 2012. Long story short, the automatic transmission was awful, although it shifted fine on the test drive. Along with weird shifting or not wanting to shift when cold, around 11 months into the lease it started to violently jump out of gear and then right back in - this usually happened with normal acceleration in third gear. I had complained all year long and got nowhere. My "offer", starting two months into the lease, was to swap it out for a manual shift Cruze. The dealership knew I was very unhappy with the car, but they sent me a "Happy First Anniversary" email on January 10th, 2013. I pitched a hissy fit and sent a scathing letter to the Sales Manager at the dealership, telling him that sending that email was the dumbest thing they could do. I once again made my "offer" of swapping the car for a manual shift one. Two days later, on the actual first anniversary date of the lease, I got a call from a salesman at the dealership. He said that they were ready to satisfy me and that he had a brand new 2013 Cruze LS (Cyber Grey Metallic) with manual shift and it had my name on it. He asked how long it would take for me to get there and see if we could work it out. I said - 20 minutes. At 4:30 that afternoon, I pulled out of the dealership in my new 2013 Cyber Grey Metallic Cruze LS with manual shift - a brand new 39 month lease and no change in the monthly payment. So......it looks like if you have the same problem, they will talk to you at the end of the first year on the lease. I guess that way they can sell the turned in car as if it was from someone who trades every year. Don't bother with "going up the line" with GM on the dispute resolution, they are all useless - I talked with their people five times and all I got was lip service.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow sounds like a pretty $#!+ time. Sorry you had that experience on the bright side you got an upgrade (too bad it took that long) how are you liking the manual trans? and the 13 of course.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a special incentive certificate from Chevy where they offer an extra $1,000 off LS automatics. It made me wonder if they're slow sellers. I have the LS manual and like the trans and the way the car drives so I dont' want to switch.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It shifts like running a warm knife thru soft butter and has really short throws. The clutch is velvety smooth and low effort, due to a combined hydraulic system that runs the power steering and hydraulic clutch assist. Much less effort to push the clutch down than my SVT Cobra Mustang!! Only difference I have noted between the '12 and the '13 is that the heater/AC fan now has six speeds instead of four. Kinda wish the base LS was equipped with cruise control but I guess you have to move up to the 1LT for that - not much of a problem since I am retired and mostly drive short distances. After I had 400 miles on it, I decided to play boy racer and run the engine up INTO the red line zone, which begins at 6500 rpm, and "run it thru the gears." Shoulda known GM would not like me doing that - There is a rev limiter that shuts down the ignition system momentarily at 6200 rpm!! Thus, the red line zone marking on the speedometer is a useless thing. Like I did in the '12, I have "customized" the instrument panel with some small pieces of black electrical tape - I've covered the most aggravating light - the green one that is on all day long that let's you know your DRL's are on - I'm glad I have DRL's but I don't need to keep looking down at that stupid green light indicator it's distracting. Same with the Passenger Seat Airbag Off light that is on whenever I am alone in the car - I don't really care and the light is distracting, so I've taped over that also. And the manual shift '13 has a third aggravating light that I have covered over with electrical tape - that **** Upshift light. I will upshift when and if I feel like it!! **** government regulations!! I wonder if the black box data recorder recorded my attempt to get to the red line???

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I love the MT in this car.

6 speed fans? Aww man. I hate the 4 fan speeds.

Now I gotta figure out how to retrofit that climate control unit into mine.

That up shift light can be turned off by your dealer, but electrical tape works too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Glad your dealer made you happy.

That's odd that the 1.8 won't redline at 6500 RPM. The 1.4T sure will. On both of these engines, though, there's not much power much past 5000 RPM anyhow. And no, the government doesn't care if you redline the engine. In fact, they encourage it to get more speeding tickets and more gas taxes out of you. So stick it to The Man by keeping those revs low! They only care when the engine redlines itself with no commanded throttle input. Being a manual, though, you have two overrides in the clutch and shifter on the one in a really large number chance that ever happens.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
It shouldn't have take your dealership this long to get GM/Ally Bank to "eat the lease". I'm glad they did finally get you out of the 12 Automatic.

The steering is full electric. It's the brakes and clutch that share the hydraulic fluid. Red lines are 6100 for 1st gear and 6500 for the remaining gears, but as sciphi said there just isn't that much power to be had above 5000 RPM. What gear were you in when you hit the 6200 rev limiter?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I leased a 2012 Blue Granite Metallic Cruze LS with the automatic transmission on January 12, 2012. Long story short, the automatic transmission was awful, although it shifted fine on the test drive. Along with weird shifting or not wanting to shift when cold, around 11 months into the lease it started to violently jump out of gear and then right back in - this usually happened with normal acceleration in third gear. I had complained all year long and got nowhere. My "offer", starting two months into the lease, was to swap it out for a manual shift Cruze. The dealership knew I was very unhappy with the car, but they sent me a "Happy First Anniversary" email on January 10th, 2013. I pitched a hissy fit and sent a scathing letter to the Sales Manager at the dealership, telling him that sending that email was the dumbest thing they could do. I once again made my "offer" of swapping the car for a manual shift one. Two days later, on the actual first anniversary date of the lease, I got a call from a salesman at the dealership. He said that they were ready to satisfy me and that he had a brand new 2013 Cruze LS (Cyber Grey Metallic) with manual shift and it had my name on it. He asked how long it would take for me to get there and see if we could work it out. I said - 20 minutes. At 4:30 that afternoon, I pulled out of the dealership in my new 2013 Cyber Grey Metallic Cruze LS with manual shift - a brand new 39 month lease and no change in the monthly payment. So......it looks like if you have the same problem, they will talk to you at the end of the first year on the lease. I guess that way they can sell the turned in car as if it was from someone who trades every year. Don't bother with "going up the line" with GM on the dispute resolution, they are all useless - I talked with their people five times and all I got was lip service.

THANK YOU for posting this! Good luck with the new car! Do you know if your dealer had to get the authorization from GM to get you out of the lease? It gives ME "hope" that MAYBE this will happen to me too! However, I doubt it. My lease is 2 years old next month, Valentine's Day and I have had OVER 40 calls with 3 different people in GM's Business Resource Center, whatever that is, and 1 person from GM Corporate- all at the SAME telephone number? Last Monday it was determined by a GM engineer, who drove my car 13 miles, that my Cruze LTZ RS with 13,200 miles was "operating as designed"! Case closed! HOWEVER, I did notice today that the GM Corporate guy called me this past Friday, but I never got the call and he didn't leave a message! Maybe he's going to get me out of this lease? I only have one more year to go! At this point, I would accept an LTZ Sonic Sedan! I love everything about my Cruze except that transmission shifting and lack of acceleration at times when stepping on the gas.

I hope you have many happy, carefree years with your new Cruze!

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Indeed, I was in first gear when the computer shut down the ignition at 6100 rpm. Thanks to obermd I now know to shift at 6000 rpm to second and then it's discovery time to see if the computer will let me into the red zone in second, third, etc. If the computer shuts me down at 6500 in second gear, then my previous comment about the red "zone" (not the red "line", which is 6500 rpm) being a waste of red paint stands. Why show a zone that spreads 1500 rpm (from 6500 to 8000 rpm) if you can't operate in it. I know, I know, a connecting rod might break at 8000 rpm but I would probably shift at 7000 rpm, just because I could and YES I know that the horsepower curve has already dropped off from it's peak well below 7000 rpm. So I guess I'm just wondering if there is some reason the tachometer dial just doesn't stop at 6500 rpm given that the bottom is going to drop out (ignition shut down by computer) at that rpm every time in upper gears. I just don't like stupid stuff whether it is part of a car or any other device or product that someone has sold to me.

I would admit that a couple of times I was so frustrated with the automatic that I tried to break it, but the computer wouldn't let me - how many of you automatic owners have ever seen the dashboard display suddenly change from whatever mode you have it set for to SHIFT DENIED???

And for fastdriver, I have no idea who got the O.K. from who for me to get the good news phone call, but my experience says that all those people outside the walls of the dealership are just a waste of time and they are put in place to try to wear you down. While I never said it directly, I think it became obvious to the dealer that I was a significant threat by way of Facebook badmouthing, Cruze forum badmouthing and even probably holding a badmouth sign out in front of the dealership - they knew that I am retired and have many, many connections in the area, as I have lived here my whole 65 years. PLUS - around July of 2012 (six months after I leased the 2012), it was in the local newspapers that this dealership organization (I think they have 3 or 4 locations in Massachusetts) had been fined $243,000 for deceptive pricing practices.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Indeed, I was in first gear when the computer shut down the ignition at 6100 rpm. Thanks to obermd I now know to shift at 6000 rpm to second and then it's discovery time to see if the computer will let me into the red zone in second, third, etc. If the computer shuts me down at 6500 in second gear, then my previous comment about the red "zone" (not the red "line", which is 6500 rpm) being a waste of red paint stands. Why show a zone that spreads 1500 rpm (from 6500 to 8000 rpm) if you can't operate in it. I know, I know, a connecting rod might break at 8000 rpm but I would probably shift at 7000 rpm, just because I could and YES I know that the horsepower curve has already dropped off from it's peak well below 7000 rpm. So I guess I'm just wondering if there is some reason the tachometer dial just doesn't stop at 6500 rpm given that the bottom is going to drop out (ignition shut down by computer) at that rpm every time in upper gears. I just don't like stupid stuff whether it is part of a car or any other device or product that someone has sold to me.
The cut off points I reported were actually determined by Road & Track Magazine testers. I suspect the reason for the early cut off in 1st is to avoid over-reving during the shift. I don't know if you noticed but there is a lag in RPM drop during high RPM shifts. I suspect this is a lag in the tach. 1st gear revs out so fast it may simply be the tach is unable to keep up.

The Alfa Romeo's I learned to drive in had a yellow zone of 500-1000 RPM depending on the model. I wonder if the Cruze shouldn't have the same starting at 6,000 RPM.

Don't waste your time above 5,000 RPM as the car really loses a lot of power. The engine is simply running out of steam.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Yellow zone is sooooooooooooo 1980's. But every car made in the last 15 years has a fuel cutoff at the redline just like the Cruze does.

The 1.8 will rev strong on up to 6500 RPM (max HP is at 6300), and actually gets most of its power in the 4500-6000 RPM range. If you spend a lot of time flogging it, the 1.8 is a fun engine, but has nothing in the mid-range. Because the small turbocharger runs out of breath, the 1.4 turbo is gutless after 5000-5500 RPM, and revving it further just makes noise.

·
Banned
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yellow zone in my '63 split window Corvette was soooooooooooooooo 1960's. I now have four pieces of black electrical tape covering over all of the stupid stuff on my Cruze dashboard - the green DRL monitor light, the upshift blinking light, the passenger air bag off orange light and now the red zone on the tach. images.jpg

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
And for fastdriver, I have no idea who got the O.K. from who for me to get the good news phone call, but my experience says that all those people outside the walls of the dealership are just a waste of time and they are put in place to try to wear you down. While I never said it directly, I think it became obvious to the dealer that I was a significant threat by way of Facebook badmouthing, Cruze forum badmouthing and even probably holding a badmouth sign out in front of the dealership - they knew that I am retired and have many, many connections in the area, as I have lived here my whole 65 years. PLUS - around July of 2012 (six months after I leased the 2012), it was in the local newspapers that this dealership organization (I think they have 3 or 4 locations in Massachusetts) had been fined $243,000 for deceptive pricing practices.
Well, the GM Corporate guy did call me back this afternoon, but it wasn't to offer me a buyback although I did try for it. It was to offer me a $1,000 certificate good for any GM car that I wanted to get next, once my lease is up next February. I did mention your situation, but he just blew it off saying that he didn't know the details of your situation. I told him it was the same old thing- transmission! He told me that he did not have the authority for a buyback and that I would have to talk to my dealer. I told him that GM is the ONLY one that can break a lease and NOT the dealer. He skirted the issue and said I'd have to talk to the salesman or the finance guy at the dealer. The way he is offering me a $1,000, he could certainly get back to the people who authorized this to see about a buyback. If GM does a buyback, the car HAS to be listed as such! That would certainly be a red flag for anyone buying it at an auction or wherever they send them. If they just take it back as is at the end of the lease, then some poor sucker is going to get stuck with it after me UNLESS they are a smart used car buyer and ask the dealer to run the VIN and look at the printout of my service records. This is one reason why I have never bought a used car in my 50 years of buying new cars every 2-3 years since I was 16. My Dad always said that you are buying someone else's problems.

Anyway, with the $3,000 I have from my GM card and the $1,000 they are giving me, I may just sell my 2004 Chevy Aveo with 23,000 miles and get a 2013 Chevy Sonic LTZ as my second car. The 2004 is like brand new! Never a problem. I JUST put in a new battery about 2 weeks ago. The only other expense was new tires last year and regular oil/filter changes and ONE signal light bulb that blew out about 2 months ago and one fan motor. That car has been great. It sits outside 24/7/365 and looks like new. It has every option that Chevy offered at the time. I had to wait about 4 months for it to come from Korea. It was worth the wait. BTW- it was a first year model and had ONE recall for a twisted rear seatbelt! LOL...How many has the Cruze had in their 4 MILLION miles of testing? In the meantime, I'm going to drive around with these in my window on the Cruze. Maybe some news organization will come to my aid or a local newspaper reporter. Good luck with your new car. Drive it in good health. I hope it treats you better than the other one.

LEMON.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts