Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all was poking around ebay and found these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or just opinions!

209 shipped seems like a good deal for 4 brakelights! uploadfromtaptalk1451008513805.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Hey all was poking around ebay and found these and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them or just opinions!

209 shipped seems like a good deal for 4 brakelights! View attachment 173394

I have those exact lights, you can see pics of them in my album (not the "garage") on my profile.

I've been told they're hard to see when sunlight is shining into the lights themselves, which unfortunately happens quite often....so I find myself checking to see if people behind me are able to see that I'm braking during the day, but out of direct sunlight they are very bright.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have those exact lights, you can see pics of them in my album (not the "garage") on my profile.

I've been told they're hard to see when sunlight is shining into the lights themselves, which unfortunately happens quite often....so I find myself checking to see if people behind me are able to see that I'm braking during the day, but out of direct sunlight they are very bright.
I don't think i can do that on moible or i just don't know how lol

Have to cops given you any **** about them? Thats a big factor for me because where i live in MO the cops in these small manipulates have nothing to do but pull people over for stupid **** haha

Also how easy was the swap? Would i need a conversion kit or is it plug and play?

Thanks anthony!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Depending on your location, heavily tinted light housings like those could be illegal for reasons such as anthony has mentioned. I'd check with your local laws if you haven't already before going ahead with these.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tail lights ar federally mandated! If you don't have rear reflectors then those are definitely illegal. I am sick of being behind theses assholes where you can barely see their brake lights! Get over it! Tinted tail lights are a fad that are dangerous and possibly illegal in most areas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're paying any kind of attention to the road then you should be fine.

Everything is a fad at one point or another and there is nothing dangerous about it there's a reason there's a third brake light and is called an idiot light, for idiots who claim they cant see bright ass LED'S. Its not like these are bulb lights tinted black. My pops has some pitch black tail lights on his ram 1500 and you can't even tell they are tinted when he hits the brakes because the LED'S are bright as ****.

This is why i asked if anyone had experience with these so i could see if they where bright enough not so i could listen to some whiney person bitch about something that has nothing to do with these brakes lights.
Tail lights ar federally mandated! If you don't have rear reflectors then those are definitely illegal. I am sick of being behind theses assholes where you can barely see their brake lights! Get over it! Tinted tail lights are a fad that are dangerous and possibly illegal in most areas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Taillamps, reflectors--violations, penalty.
307.075. 1. Every motor vehicle and every motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped with at least two rear lamps, not less than fifteen inches or more than seventy-two inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, which when lighted will exhibit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear.

Tinted tail lights are not illegal as long as you can plainly see the red light which is why i was trying to get insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending on your location, heavily tinted light housings like those could be illegal for reasons such as anthony has mentioned. I'd check with your local laws if you haven't already before going ahead with these.
The place on amazon offers a return so i might get these and see if they are bright enough and if not then return and find a pair a little less tinted haha and by Missouri law as long as you can see the red light from far away then it dosnt matter. It dosnt say they have to be red or that they cant be tinted

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
307.075. 1. Every motor vehicle and every motor-drawn vehicle shall be equipped with at least two rear lamps, not less than fifteen inches or more than seventy-two inches above the ground upon which the vehicle stands, which when lighted will exhibit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear.

Tinted tail lights are not illegal as long as you can plainly see the red light which is why i was trying to get insight.

They do make a red, reflector version of these taillights that are "legal". If you're worried about cops hounding you I would get those, because these black ones reflect nothing at all and you don't see any red unless they're on, and they're not hard to see either.

I've asked several people to drive behind me and tell me how the visibility is and they said they were obviously on or off when applying the brakes. The only complaints I've had are strangers that I assume weren't paying attention to the road and noticed that I braked last minute.

Some guy said "you have absolutely NO taillights" even though I have a very bright, untinted third brake light, plus 2 fully functional tinted lights. I even pulled over to check them to be sure, and they all were completely visible.

No, they're not "DOT compliant" but I don't care, they look nice.

And to answer your question, I've driven all over the state of Illinois, including Chicago, and haven't had an issue with police. That being said, they are a reason to be pulled over so use your discretion on whether you get the black or red ones I guess.

Merry Christmas :th_salute:

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
The place on amazon offers a return so i might get these and see if they are bright enough and if not then return and find a pair a little less tinted haha and by Missouri law as long as you can see the red light from far away then it dosnt matter. It dosnt say they have to be red or that they cant be tinted

Here's a pic with them lit, when the brakes are applied the lights (not on the trunk lid) get about twice as bright. So VERY visible at night, and visible enough during the day.
IMG_6182.png

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do make a red, reflector version of these taillights that are "legal". If you're worried about cops hounding you I would get those, because these black ones reflect nothing at all and you don't see any red unless they're on, and they're not hard to see either.

I've asked several people to drive behind me and tell me how the visibility is and they said they were obviously on or off when applying the brakes. The only complaints I've had are strangers that I assume weren't paying attention to the road and noticed that I braked last minute.

Some guy said "you have absolutely NO taillights" even though I have a very bright, untinted third brake light, plus 2 fully functional tinted lights. I even pulled over to check them to be sure, and they all were completely visible.

No, they're not "DOT compliant" but I don't care, they look nice.

And to answer your question, I've driven all over the state of Illinois, including Chicago, and haven't had an issue with police. That being said, they are a reason to be pulled over so use your discretion on whether you get the black or red ones I guess.

Merry Christmas :th_salute:

I love the look of them against a white car (i have a white 2015) and as long as you can tell youre braking then i guess theyd be good.

As far as the cops go i dont know about how bad they are i know a few coos will pull you over for window tint but thats really only the small towns here. Id rather deal with the state coos then those assholes.

If nothing else ill keep my stock ones and if i fail inspection in a few years then ill just pop thise out and put the old ones back in.

i had a 99 dakota pass inspection with a broken passanger seat ( didnt move) non working seat belts and a hole in my blinker in the headlight so i really dont kniw what would pass as unsafe in this Missouri lmao

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's a pic with them lit, when the brakes are applied the lights (not on the trunk lid) get about twice as bright. So VERY visible at night, and visible enough during the day.
View attachment 173410
God dang those look amazing! If someone cant see you braking then the need their eyes check haha

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I love the look of them against a white car (i have a white 2015) and as long as you can tell youre braking then i guess theyd be good.

As far as the cops go i dont know about how bad they are i know a few coos will pull you over for window tint but thats really only the small towns here. Id rather deal with the state coos then those assholes.

If nothing else ill keep my stock ones and if i fail inspection in a few years then ill just pop thise out and put the old ones back in.

i had a 99 dakota pass inspection with a broken passanger seat ( didnt move) non working seat belts and a hole in my blinker in the headlight so i really dont kniw what would pass as unsafe in this Missouri lmao
Yeah I kept my stock ones just in case, and they're super easy to switch out, no extra wiring needed. The only extra wire that the new lights have, is if you want the trunk lid lights to be full brightness or half brightness, and I chose half to match the outer lights when they're just normally illuminated at night (when not applying the brake) so that when you press the brakes that outer light is brighter than the inners, and more obviously on.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Doesn't mention reflectors which are also mandatory when you are broken down without power on the side of the road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doesn't mention reflectors which are also mandatory when you are broken down without power on the side of the road.
I have a road side kit in my trunk with 2 reflective triangle things and i belive it has 2 magnetic reflective squares.

I dont know if the stock tail lights are even reflective are they?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I kept my stock ones just in case, and they're super easy to switch out, no extra wiring needed. The only extra wire that the new lights have, is if you want the trunk lid lights to be full brightness or half brightness, and I chose half to match the outer lights when they're just normally illuminated at night (when not applying the brake) so that when you press the brakes that outer light is brighter than the inners, and more obviously on.
Youre the best man you just saved me hours of yelling at my phone cause i couldnt find any info about these lights or any aftermarket lights on the internet!
Thats cool that you can set the trunk lights to 2 separate settings i didn't know that!

Thanks man!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a road side kit in my trunk with 2 reflective triangle things and i belive it has 2 magnetic reflective squares.

I dont know if the stock tail lights are even reflective are they?

Yes they are, they have to meet federal and state mandates which in some states say reflectors must "reflect" up to 1000 feet with high beams on.

Do what you want man, I just don't want to give cops a reason to mess with me....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes they are, they have to meet federal and state mandates which in some states say reflectors must "reflect" up to 1000 feet with high beams on.

Do what you want man, I just don't want to give cops a reason to mess with me....
Huh learn something new everyday haha

the cops around here don't like my ass anyway cause i constantly drive fast. Ive been more careful since i got rid on my 2 colored truck. Im also less noticeable now that i drive a car that apparently everyone and there brother drives hha

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Youre the best man you just saved me hours of yelling at my phone cause i couldnt find any info about these lights or any aftermarket lights on the internet!
Thats cool that you can set the trunk lights to 2 separate settings i didn't know that!

Thanks man!

You're welcome! I hope you end up liking whatever you choose to do, and I drive constantly way too fast too haha...have yet to be pulled over in the Cruze, even with obvious mods *knock on wood*

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
View attachment 173410
I'd think a daylight shot or a comparison with stock would be more informative.

Everyone should keep in mind that "defective equipment" could shift the responsibility for a rear-end accident.

I do wonder how that would affect your insurance coverage if they're found to not be legal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts