Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Diode Dynamics is pleased to offer the USA-made SL1 LED Headlight Bulbs for the 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze!

If you're looking to improve your 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze’s visibility at night, you've probably seen plenty of aftermarket LED headlight bulb options. There are plenty of “high performance” LED lights on the market, but they all have their shortcomings. They're too big to install, have no hotspot in the beam pattern, or they simply stop working after just a few months!

With its compact size, optically correct output, thermally-modeled cooling, and boost-mode electrical circuit, Diode Dynamics SL1 LED Headlight Bulbs are truly the best LED headlight bulbs on the market.

Street Legal Output. Don't be fooled by high lumen numbers or "projector specific" bulbs. Your 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze’s headlights are designed to focus light. If the light source is out of focus, it doesn't matter how bright it is - you won't have a focused hotspot of light to shine down the road - just more glare. Some generic options have such a poor optical design, they might leave you wondering “how are LED headlights legal?!”

SL1 High/Low Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with projector headlight housings

SL1 Low Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with reflector (NON-projector) headlight housings

SL1 High Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with reflector (NON-projector) headlight housings

To correct this, Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED Headlight Bulb was engineered with advanced optical design software, to perfectly match the halogen filament location. This allows the SL1 to focus light just like the original halogen headlights, preserving the focus and hotspot, with no added glare. It produces a functional beam pattern with zero glare, which we call Street Legal.

Tested to Perform. We test the SL1 in factory car headlights and measure the entire beam pattern using specialized equipment. The entire beam pattern is mapped, and we compare the total output to the original equipment, confirming that the SL1 headlight bulb shines more light in the hotspot, without adding extra glare on the road. The test results speak for themselves: in most lamps, there is 30-70% more light output in the critical hotspot, with zero glare. Thanks to optical engineering, testing, and validation in the application, the SL1 is the #1 LED headlight bulb for reflector and projector headlights.

Staying Cool. You might’ve seen LED headlight kits that use large straps for cooling, or fans that just make noise. These light bulbs run hot, resulting in degradation of output after a few months. When it comes to cooling, proper engineering is required to efficiently remove heat from the bulb. In the SL1, a copper core board, thermal phase-change material, and thermally-modeled zinc casting get heat to the base, where base fins release it, designed for aerodynamic performance in conjunction with the flow rate and pressure of the Sunon bearingless micro fan. The result is a highly effective and reliable cooling system, keeping the SL1’s LED chips running at maximum potential.

Fitment. With its patented design, installing the SL1 LED headlight bulb is simple and straightforward, requiring NO cutting or modification. There's no hanging metal straps, just a compact bulb that plugs right into your 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze, with a nylon-reinforced shroud. Only slightly larger than a standard halogen bulb, it fits behind dust caps and in tight spaces. The base sizes are keyed specifically to fit your vehicle, not one-size-fits-all! And the compact driver easily tucks away.

]

Reliability. Every part of the Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED Headlight Bulb is engineered with more expensive OEM-grade features to assure quality, such as the Sunon MagLev fan and PCB wire connectors" In short, these are designed, tested, and built to a much higher standard than your average imported led headlight conversion kit. The Diode Dynamics' SL1 LED Headlight Bulb will keep performing in your 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze for years, and is backed by a three-year warranty.

Specifications

Measured Lumens: 1630 (per bulb)
Color Temp: 5700K (cool white)
Power (watts): 20.2
Operating Voltage: 5-16V
Current (amps @ 13.2V): 1.58 Polarity:
Polarity Specific LED Emitter: Luxeon Z ES
Connector(s): OEM-Size Plug and Play
Driver Features: External, Waterproof, Constant Current
Materials: Copper PCB, PP-TD30 Base, Zinc Heatsink
Cooling: Active, Mag-Lev Microfan
Compliance Ratings: FMVSS108 Beam Pattern, SAE J575 Durability Test

SL1 High/Low Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with projector headlight housings

SL1 Low Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with reflector (NON-projector) headlight housings

SL1 High Beam LED Headlight Bulbs for 2017-2019 Chevrolet Cruze with reflector (NON-projector) headlight housings

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post, PM, email [email protected]
PM us for the free-shipping code (U.S. forum members only)

Thanks for looking!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
835 Posts
Do these need the anti-flicker modules as well or are they plug and play?

Also does the heat sink assembly fit behind the stock dust cap? Thanks!

·
Site Sponsor
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do these need the anti-flicker modules as well or are they plug and play?

Also does the heat sink assembly fit behind the stock dust cap? Thanks!
Anti-flicker modules weren't needed on the 2017 we had in for testing! The bulb and driver both fit in the housing and allow the dustcap to be reinstalled. You can check out the install video below!

Just let me know if you have any other questions!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
835 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply and the info!

Reactions: Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi- I thought some aftermarket kits were causing BCM Issues with the sensitivity of the Cruze's electrical system. Can you tell me how you manage it?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just installed the GTR Ultra series 2 in my 2017 with projectors and there's zero problems. Didn't need the PWM modules.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just installed the GTR Ultra series 2 in my 2017 with projectors and there's zero problems. Didn't need the PWM modules.
We too were running a HID Package for a while but had to do a BCM reset from the dealer.

That's why I was asking the vendor on this particular issue.

·
Site Sponsor
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We too were running a HID Package for a while but had to do a BCM reset from the dealer.
The LEDs put a lot less stress on the system than any HID setup. To our knowledge, nothing is required for compatible function with our bulbs on the Cruze. It should just plug in, with no issues. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,928 Posts
Hi- I thought some aftermarket kits were causing BCM Issues with the sensitivity of the Cruze's electrical system. Can you tell me how you manage it?
It may depend on what model Cruze you have. In the Gen 1, 2011-2014, they used PWM on the headlights as a Daytime Running Lights. Starting in 2015, they had separate LEDs for DRL.

I realize this thread is more about the Gen 2, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
We haven't confirmed fitment on the gen 1 quite yet, but our engineering team plans to release more LED headlight bulb sizes in the coming months!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics
Jake, if you ever need a Gen 1 guinea pig I live not too far away from your company (K/N/364 area) and would be glad to volunteer :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
It may depend on what model Cruze you have. In the Gen 1, 2011-2014, they used PWM on the headlights as a Daytime Running Lights. Starting in 2015, they had separate LEDs for DRL.

I realize this thread is more about the Gen 2, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
I am running a Gen2 now. :)

I'll give them a try in a bit.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a second gen with projectors and can confirm no PWM box is needed

Reactions: Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
951 Posts
Bought a pair for one of my Cruzes.. They are a great improvement over the halogen and work very well. That said, these are quite pricey. I found a cheaper option that for now seems to work well for one of my other cars. I would have bought 3 sets of these, but they are literally 3.5X more expensive than the others I'm trying out, so I will test the cheaper option out a bit first. I would pay more for USA made bulbs like these, but 3.5X is getting to be beyond what I can justify.. having said all that, no complaints on the bulbs I bought, they seem to perform exactly as advertised.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bought a pair for one of my Cruzes.. They are a great improvement over the halogen and work very well. That said, these are quite pricey. I found a cheaper option that for now seems to work well for one of my other cars. I would have bought 3 sets of these, but they are literally 3.5X more expensive than the others I'm trying out, so I will test the cheaper option out a bit first. I would pay more for USA made bulbs like these, but 3.5X is getting to be beyond what I can justify.. having said all that, no complaints on the bulbs I bought, they seem to perform exactly as advertised.
Careful with the cheap LED ones - you may be getting less output and giving everyone else more glare:

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
951 Posts
Careful with the cheap LED ones - you may be getting less output and giving everyone else more glare:

Understand, which is why I bought the Diode Dynamics for the first car, but I have 3 Gen 2s, so that would be $450 for 3 cars.. that is a just too much to justify. So, I tried to select a LED on the many options from Amazon that was similar to the Diode Dynamics bulb, the geometry of where the LEDs are should be in the same distance as the filament in the original bulb, that affects the shape of the beam, especially on the projectors. I could put the two cars, one with the Diode Dynamics bulbs, and the other with the cheap LED bulbs next to each other and I bet most would not be able to tell which was which, but I'm sure there are tons of horrible el cheapos out there, which is why I was hesitant, and did the Diode Dynamics first.. If they were twice the cost, I would just get more of them, but when they are almost 4 times the cost, I have incentive to experiment with the cheaper bulb options. If I get a chance to do a picture with the cars, I could include one with the OEM bulbs, a side by side by side would be a good shot, then I could post that and let people try to pick which is which. The OEMs will be obvious, but the other 2 might be a bit more tricky, they are close. Now time will tell if they hold up, I kind of expect they won't last as long, but if they last 1/3 the time, buying 3, and the hassle of changing them is about the same as the Diode Dynamics bulbs.. the price difference is that large. All that said, the Diode Dynamics are quality, and if I had just one Cruze, that is all I'd buy.

Reactions: WillL84

·
Registered
951 Posts

Thanks for the video, good information there. So from it I got the distance should match the original bulb, the cheap ones do that, but they are a bit thicker than the Diode Dynamics, so that is a disadvantage, but I do not see much of difference in beam pattern, but I'll try to get a set of pictures to compare to see how much of a difference it makes. The Diode Dynamics are 5600K, the others are 6500K, and the cheapos are integrated driver, and no need to worry about polarity, they apparently work either way, which according to video is a disadvantage, as they will be subject to higher temperatures than the external drivers of the Diode Dynamic bulbs. There was a note that the cheapos might need a load resister if there was any flicker, but none noted on Cruze so that is not an issue.

·
Registered
951 Posts
OK, I have a few pictures of 3 cruzes, yes I have 3 gen 2 cars in the family fleet, and a Gen 1... All Diesel. Anyhow, try to figure out which is which. One has Diode Dynamics LED bulbs, one has el cheapo LEDs from amazon.com, the other has OEM Halogen. I'll post additional pictures in separate posts once I edit out the plates.

·
Registered
951 Posts
IMG_20200216_074843182.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts