Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into putting LED headlights into my 15' Cruze for headlights and highs (led running lights) I'm currently between these two

H13 (9008) Hi/Lo LED Headlight Kit | XenonHIDs.com. - in theory better quality lifetime warranty and brighter but two Led's vs 4 in the other option

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A63AVRRFM3OU2

Ive seen threads about headlights but I'd want to try factory reflectors 1 post did it but said he had them upside down and never reposted after saying he fixed them.

Or or do I get something like the sylvannia zxe?

thanks guys, Merry Christmas
Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Sylvania zXe's. Put them in over a year ago, shortly after I got my Cruze and I'm very happy with them. Between them and the driving lights (which I haven't upgraded yet), I pretty much have no use for my High Beams.

Reactions: 203-CRUZER

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
You shouldn't be putting any other type of bulb (LEDs, HIDs, etc) into the factory housing. It will blind other drivers and not have proper light output to illuminate the road infront of you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have the Sylvania zXe's. Put them in over a year ago, shortly after I got my Cruze and I'm very happy with them. Between them and the driving lights (which I haven't upgraded yet), I pretty much have no use for my High Beams.
@Cutch22 , what's the exact part number of the Sylvania bulbs you used? Are they " whiter" or just have better output?? I've got a new 15 Cruze and am looking for better headlight output without going to a retrofit kit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You shouldn't be putting any other type of bulb (LEDs, HIDs, etc) into the factory housing. It will blind other drivers and not have proper light output to illuminate the road infront of you.
I know you're not supposed to, HIDS being the worst, guy I work with has LEDS in factory projectors (I understand the difference between those and the reflectors) was just curious if anyone aside from the one I read had done it and to what success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@Cutch22 , what's the exact part number of the Sylvania bulbs you used? Are they " whiter" or just have better output?? I've got a new 15 Cruze and am looking for better headlight output without going to a retrofit kit.
The zXe's have a "white" output in appearance. They are definitely "whiter" than whatever bulbs I upgraded from (somebody leased Olivia prior to my ownership).

This is Sylvania's info page about the zXe's: https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/silverstar-zxe.aspx

As I mentioned in my previous post, I rarely use my High Beams. The low beam + the fog lights is more than adequate for night-time driving, at least in my opinion.

Reactions: 203-CRUZER

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I don't fully agree with the whole "Don't get this kit it will blind other drivers" for LED headlights in the stock housing. They work with the factory reflectors low beam pointed up bouncing down on the reflector, high beam pointing down bouncing up on the reflector when you put them in properly it lines up perfectly like a factory bulb from what I've seen. Installing LED headlights I honestly don't get flashed by other drivers like I did with some higher end sylvania bulbs lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the Philips 4300k CrystalVision lamps.
Definitely a whiter "cleaner" light than the standard, also better road vision too

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have tried 3 different versions of led bulbs in my car and the recent Gen 7 versions have proven to be the best so far.

From a stock halogen vs led comparison and ONLY comparing these two sources of light, I must say I am quite pleased with performance. I have width and distance which are usually traits missing from most led pnp bulbs. There is no excessive foreground. The beam pattern is on point with the stock halogens.

The key to these bulbs is that, for starters, they copied Philips Japan design of their H11 fog and H4 led headlight bulbs. They utilize Philips Luxeon Z ES emitters which are one of their smallest and brightest packages. When grouped together tightly in a row and in the same position as the halogen filaments, they make use of the reflectors providing a near equal beam pattern.
The second key is that the beam angle is adjustable! The bulb collar twists around the base locking into position with a ball bearing spring. And for the Cruze headlamp design, the H13 bulb filaments do not face perfectly vertically or horizontally but rather at a 30 degree angle. Without clocking the bulb in this manner will result in a unsatisfactory beam pattern. Also these bulbs come with shields over the low beam array that must be removed to maintain proper beam pattern. Since the bulb is universal and only the bulb base is changed for each application it may be needed for other headlamp designs.

The color is a brilliant white. Don't let the 6500k color temp fool you.

Are they better than stock halogens? The white light tends to make the eyes perceive darkness much better so there is that advantage. There is definitely a lot of light on the road (and placed where it should be). Whether or not the leds are worth the $90ish premium over an upgraded halogen I can't comment since I've never tested any other halogens.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
When grouped together tightly in a row and in the same position as the halogen filaments, they make use of the reflectors providing a near equal beam pattern.
Very nice! What bulbs are these?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I have tried 3 different versions of led bulbs in my car and the recent Gen 7 versions have proven to be the best so far.

From a stock halogen vs led comparison and ONLY comparing these two sources of light, I must say I am quite pleased with performance. I have width and distance which are usually traits missing from most led pnp bulbs. There is no excessive foreground. The beam pattern is on point with the stock halogens.

The key to these bulbs is that, for starters, they copied Philips Japan design of their H11 fog and H4 led headlight bulbs. They utilize Philips Luxeon Z ES emitters which are one of their smallest and brightest packages. When grouped together tightly in a row and in the same position as the halogen filaments, they make use of the reflectors providing a near equal beam pattern.
The second key is that the beam angle is adjustable! The bulb collar twists around the base locking into position with a ball bearing spring. And for the Cruze headlamp design, the H13 bulb filaments do not face perfectly vertically or horizontally but rather at a 30 degree angle. Without clocking the bulb in this manner will result in a unsatisfactory beam pattern. Also these bulbs come with shields over the low beam array that must be removed to maintain proper beam pattern. Since the bulb is universal and only the bulb base is changed for each application it may be needed for other headlamp designs.

The color is a brilliant white. Don't let the 6500k color temp fool you.

Are they better than stock halogens? The white light tends to make the eyes perceive darkness much better so there is that advantage. There is definitely a lot of light on the road (and placed where it should be). Whether or not the leds are worth the $90ish premium over an upgraded halogen I can't comment since I've never tested any other halogens.
I've got a similar LED setup as well and I took this tonight (I was driving) but you can see that these are still aimed down but awesome visibility.

20160111_201850.jpg

·
Registered
481 Posts
I had hids in both my headlights and foglights on my old cruze and they werent too bad. Never got highbeamed once. Around here people will highbeam you quick if your lights are blinding them or even close. I may go with hids again in my new cruze till i can afford to get retrofits.

·
Registered
803 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've got a similar LED setup as well and I took this tonight (I was driving) but you can see that these are still aimed down but awesome visibility.

View attachment 176321
Do you have any wall shots? Even though you have them aimed low which is increasing your foreground light too much it appears there is still excessive glare which is illuminating the sign on the left and the pole on the right.

What brand/model bulbs do you have?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Do you have any wall shots? Even though you have them aimed low which is increasing your foreground light too much it appears there is still excessive glare which is illuminating the sign on the left and the pole on the right.

What brand/model bulbs do you have?
I'll have to get some shots, was just trying to use that pic as reference and we can compare :D

1 - 20 of 118 Posts