Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I finally got a chance to do a headlight bulb upgrade. For anyone wondering about the LED bulb conversion, I can tell you that it is well worth it, especially for anyone who has factory projector headlights, and fog lights, or aftermarket projector headlights. I purchased the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE light bulbs and they were great. Don't get me wrong, being 4200k, they were the closest non-hid bulb you could get. I will admit I was a bit skeptical on purchasing the LED conversion, but I highly recommend them over HID bulbs. Any questions, or pictures feel free to contact or message me and I'll be glad to help.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Are the ZXE LED?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,195 Posts
Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did enjoy the ZXE bulbs, but I needed something a little bit better and th LED bulbs have proven to be extremely clean and crisp. I used to have HID bulbs in a previous car, and I like the LED better by all means.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What LED setup did you use? How is the cut-off?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
OP must be talking about something like these, a dual beam LED replacement headlamp bulb.

Just as one example. Assuming he replaced his Sylvania Silverstar ZXE headlamp bulbs that have a filament and use a halogen gas for thermoconductivity with some kind of LED that he didn't mention.

Are kind of costly and concerned about the life expectancy or are they just some more crap made in China.

Ha, one of the greatest cars I have ever purchased was a 41 Buick with sealed beams, prior to this all vehicles used bulbs in headlamp assemblies. Still own two vehicles with sealed beams, can actually see where I am going. Have a double reflection with bulbs inside of these head lamps assemblies, cheap plastic that gets moisture inside and have to be polished frequently, and with a stone chip, cost both arms and legs to replace.

In the 30's, were using glass without nearly the problems, historically, automotive industry is going backwards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chevy Guy, I bought a set of 9005 6000k 3200lm conversion bulbs on Amazon from Evitek. The OPT7 led conversion kit was rated lower then the Evitek kit. Bc I have projectors I had to re-aim the headlights just a bit. The cut off isn't to bad honestly. The projection is really good. First picture low beams about 40ft away from my garage and the 2nd is the high beams same distance

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick D, the LED conversion kit I have uses 2 Osram LEDs one for low and one for high. I don't have the quad LED bulbs like in your picture. The bulb housing itself is actually made out of aluminum and they are very sturdy and well made, that have a built in cooling fan on them. They are instant on, with no flicker at all. And compared to standard Halogen (factory and the ZXE) the vision as you can see in the picture in my last post, is twice as good and projection is farther out and much more crisp.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
So you don't have the stock Gen1 light fixtures? So "my mileage may vary".

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Nice cutoff on those lows.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have an exact link for these Evitek units and part number. How was install?? Theres so many on Amazon that my head was spinning. I considered the OPT 7 units which have an easy install vid.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DSIgate, the install was literally straight forward. It was a simple plug and play set up. It took me less than 10mins to have them installed and running. As far as a link goes, all I can say is go to Amazon and type in Evitek LED and it'll pop up. They have two different styles, a G3 and a G6. I have the G6 9005 conversion kit. The Evitek kit doesn't have as many review or people reviewing them compared to the opt7, which kind of hindered my decision a little bit, but seeing the overall rating being a little higher and less complaints on the Evitek reviews, I jumped the gun and went with theirs over the Opt7 instead. I know there is a lot of brands out there, but I trust more of what's rated better, and the higher ratio of positive to negative reviews.

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mario, I know in the manual it only says the left headlamp assembly is the one that can be changed. To make the left headlamp assembly more accessible, you will need to remove the washer fluid filler neck. It is held in by two clips, and it pop off of the frame, and with a slight bit of force the filler neck will come out and you will be able to access the dust cap for removal much easier. As for the right side, I remove the stock intake induction tubing that is connected from the frame to the air box. Due to the clearance of the LED bulbs with the cooling fans, I had to keep the dust covers off. I know that isn't recommended but I haven't come across any issues with the covers being off yet. I do recommend taking some time out to adjust the headlight projection levels, as the LED bulbs produce such a better and wider light as you can see. Depending on where you live and how much you drive during morning or night, I would suggest looking into an LED kit with a lumens rating of higher than 3500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the answer i have 1 more question
Are you able after the led install to put back the cap on the headlight unit?
Thanks
Mario

Hey Mario, I know in the manual it only says the left headlamp assembly is the one that can be changed. To make the left headlamp assembly more accessible, you will need to remove the washer fluid filler neck. It is held in by two clips, and it pop off of the frame, and with a slight bit of force the filler neck will come out and you will be able to access the dust cap for removal much easier. As for the right side, I remove the stock intake induction tubing that is connected from the frame to the air box. Due to the clearance of the LED bulbs with the cooling fans, I had to keep the dust covers off. I know that isn't recommended but I haven't come across any issues with the covers being off yet. I do recommend taking some time out to adjust the headlight projection levels, as the LED bulbs produce such a better and wider light as you can see. Depending on where you live and how much you drive during morning or night, I would suggest looking into an LED kit with a lumens rating of higher than 3500

1 - 20 of 145 Posts