Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the LED lights for the interior and license plate lights and started noticing the lights turn on white, and slowly turn blue if left on for 2+ minutes. I would think this is caused by the LEDs being overpowered and slowly burning out. I left my door open for 5-10 minutes and the dome light burned out, but I have driven home on 15+ minute trips at night and the license plate LEDs haven't burned out, but they turn very blue.

Has anyone else notice their LEDs do this, or did I buy the wrong ones? I bought the ones in the link below.

10X T10 Car High Power 168 194 W5W White 20 SMD LED Wedge Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
...sounds like poor LED manufacture quality, because "white" light is all colors between blue (high freq) and red (low freq), so having their visual output shift from white (proper operation) to blue (improper operation) implies a loss/reduction of the red-LED light output.

· Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to tell in the pictures cause the lights are too bright but here is what I am talking about. The right had been on for 3 or 4 minutes and the left just turned on.
Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive fog light

· Registered
341 Posts
I installed the LED lights for the interior and license plate lights and started noticing the lights turn on white, and slowly turn blue if left on for 2+ minutes. I would think this is caused by the LEDs being overpowered and slowly burning out. I left my door open for 5-10 minutes and the dome light burned out, but I have driven home on 15+ minute trips at night and the license plate LEDs haven't burned out, but they turn very blue.

Has anyone else notice their LEDs do this, or did I buy the wrong ones? I bought the ones in the link below.

10X T10 Car High Power 168 194 W5W White 20 SMD LED Wedge Light Bulb Lamp 12V | eBay
That is either a QC issue with the LED's chip or it is a cheap chip... also the phosphor quality may be low grade making the LED degrade faster after just a short time. In short it seems you just purchased some low grade bulbs.

· Registered
30 Posts
I have replied to several other posts pertaining to LED mods. The answer is simple, DO NOT BUY 20 SMD 3528 or similar chips. they are NOT rated for 14 Volts, as a matter of fact they are not even rated at 12V. Other people have reproted the bulbs get far too hot and can cause damage to the lamp housings. I have and recommend everyone remove the 20 SMD bulbs ASAP and replace them with the 5 SMD 5050 white bulbs. They dont get hot and do not change color. I have all 5050 chip bulbs on my cruze and they work flawlessly and are stable at 14V. They are just as bright and cost WAY CHEAPER! I also recommend using yellow for front marker, and red for rear marker. and use 9 SMD 5050 for license.

RMan

· Premium Member
4,338 Posts
RMan -- sounds 'plausable' to me because over-heating does cause LED wavelength and output to shift higher.

· Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have replied to several other posts pertaining to LED mods. The answer is simple, DO NOT BUY 20 SMD 3528 or similar chips. they are NOT rated for 14 Volts, as a matter of fact they are not even rated at 12V. Other people have reproted the bulbs get far too hot and can cause damage to the lamp housings. I have and recommend everyone remove the 20 SMD bulbs ASAP and replace them with the 5 SMD 5050 white bulbs. They dont get hot and do not change color. I have all 5050 chip bulbs on my cruze and they work flawlessly and are stable at 14V. They are just as bright and cost WAY CHEAPER! I also recommend using yellow for front marker, and red for rear marker. and use 9 SMD 5050 for license.

RMan
I have since replaced mine with the 5 led 5050 ones after making this post and you are correct. They do not get as hot or discolor. The 3528 or 3020's suck and will eventually burn away.

· Registered
341 Posts
RMan. Where do you get you LEDs from? eBay?
Yes I would also like to know where and how much for the 5 smd led
Simply click RMan32's profile name in his post ^... click "View Forum Posts". There you'll find another thread he and I have posted too & where he's posted links to his preferred LED's on eBay, etc. as well as some additional insight into dos & don't of LED choices.

Reactions: MyNewFoundGlory

· Registered
30 Posts
Sorry, was out for a while. Please check out my other posts, the LED's I am using are the best on the market as of this year. I know a few manufacturers that have made custom bulbs for me in my home. I am also working with them to make more LED's compatible for 14Volt applications. Most LED's on EBay are ONLY RATED for 12 Volts.... All they need to do is add a larger value resistor or voltage regulator. Rman

· Registered
30 Posts
V-LEDs are waaaayyyyy too expensive for the exact same bulbs from other merchants. I prefer to buy and recommend buying wholesale and not from a retailer that marks up prices 200%. They also ship internationally within 2 weeks, and also have return policys and great service for a fraction of the cost. I also have not had any issues with my bulbs, and I avoid scammers with cheap bulbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.