Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
This morning, I am suddenly in the market for new headlights for my 15 Eco, I watched the high beam drivers side element give up the ghost in a flash of blue light.... 2 points of concern that needs illumination.

1. 20 months, 75000 km of stock headlight lifecycle, which has me wondering about OEM quality, as I have LED DRL's and rarely have the opportunity to run highs. Thanks to standard time, I already miss them.

2. I (we) was under the impression that the BCM monitors individual exterior bulbs and flags a fault on the DIC. Nothing so far, maybe it needs a start cycle to initiate a system scan?

Now I have to filter through years of bias, opinion, and facts, to chose my replacements. My intention is same colour temp as my DRL's and then hopefully go for durability while ensuring the beam is correct.

I has been fun reading all of the drama about the choices and outcomes here and on FB, never thought I would have to dive in this soon.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
This morning, I am suddenly in the market for new headlights for my 15 Eco, I watched the high beam drivers side element give up the ghost in a flash of blue light.... 2 points of concern that needs illumination.

1. 20 months, 75000 km of stock headlight lifecycle, which has me wondering about OEM quality, as I have LED DRL's and rarely have the opportunity to run highs. Thanks to standard time, I already miss them.

2. I (we) was under the impression that the BCM monitors individual exterior bulbs and flags a fault on the DIC. Nothing so far, maybe it needs a start cycle to initiate a system scan?

Now I have to filter through years of bias, opinion, and facts, to chose my replacements. My intention is same colour temp as my DRL's and then hopefully go for durability while ensuring the beam is correct.

I has been fun reading all of the drama about the choices and outcomes here and on FB, never thought I would have to dive in this soon.
Let us know what you find, as I would also like to upgrade my headlights to ones that match the LED DRLs and will likely have a set of HIDs made by Midwest Light Creations. He did an awesome set for my sons MK4 VW Jetta TDI which also did not have factory HID options. I will have to buy a new set of lights for the conversion though...or be without use of the car for a week or more.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Let us know what you find, as I would also like to upgrade my headlights to ones that match the LED DRLs and will likely have a set of HIDs made by Midwest Light Creations. He did an awesome set for my sons MK4 VW Jetta TDI which also did not have factory HID options. I will have to buy a new set of lights for the conversion though...or be without use of the car for a week or more.
if they make a hid assembly that's easy to install and done with good quality ill buy a set with you

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
if they make a hid assembly that's easy to install and done with good quality ill buy a set with you
Jeff at Midwest Light Creations midwest-lighting did a great job on the HIDs for my sons 2001 Jetta TDI. I'm confident he will do good on the Cruze lights when he is able to do a set. He'll know solid pricing once he does the first set for a Cruze. I'll let everyone know here once we get them done.

The set for the Jetta installed just like factory lights you just had to find a place to mount the ballasts. The light housings mounted the same way the factory lights did and plugged into the factory harness.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Guys,

Have just finished a Lux test comparison between Forti USA Core Series and Philips X-Treme:
Forti USA Auto Parts - Blog For Auto Fans & New Release! - Forti USA - Core Series hands on compare with Philips X-Treme in Lumens

From the numbers , the core series likes 25% higher LUX than the X-treme. And we found the beam shape output from the CORE series is much wider than the philips one.

For details , can watch the video up stairs.

Product Spec:
Forti USA | CORE Series Ultra Bright LED Headlight Bulbs 120W 13200lm White Plug & Play Conversion Kits(1Pair)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a hid kit in my stock headlight and they were way better than the stock bulbs but the cutoff was terrible so I adjusted them down to avoid blinding people as bad

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Looks like a lot of glare for that high of a camera position, will glare be too blinding for oncoming traffic??? I'd prefer HIDs with proper projectors with high and low beam operation and low beam cutoff...

·
Registered
53 Posts
there are better shoots coming, in real site seeing .. its much better , will take some more shoots with DSLR Camera instead of cellphone.. the cellphone making differences...

HID is too much problems , too hot , short lifespan.

We will have another video shoot for Europe Canbus car soon which running projectors.

Looks like a lot of glare for that high of a camera position, will glare be too blinding for oncoming traffic??? I'd prefer HIDs with proper projectors with high and low beam operation and low beam cutoff...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Update

Just a quick update. I recently switched headlight housings to winjet dual projector housings with kensun 55w hid bulbs. on top of this I also upgraded the headlight harness. The stock harness WAS NOT going to hold up to 4x 55 watt ballasts. I will be adding new pictures of the cutoff and brightness similar to the original post.

IMG_5335.jpg

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Just a quick update. I recently switched headlight housings to winjet dual projector housings with kensun 55w hid bulbs. on top of this I also upgraded the headlight harness. The stock harness WAS NOT going to hold up to 4x 55 watt ballasts. I will be adding new pictures of the cutoff and brightness similar to the original post.

View attachment 210426
Those are nice for sure, keep us posted!!! Where did you get the new lights?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Project Update

As I stated in my last post I recently upgraded my headlights to winjet dual projector housings. In addition to the new housings I also upgraded the wiring harness and the bulbs. The new bulbs are kensun 55 watt 5000k hids. I figured I would take some pictures of the light output at the same camera settings as before. I will say that the hids are the brightest bulbs i've had in the car and the camera makes them seem brighter than they are but I wanted to use the exact same camera settings to try and show a fair comparison.

IMAG0408_1.jpg

IMAG0407_1.jpg
low beam

IMAG0405_1.jpg
High beam

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't take the time to read this entire thread, but... I recently bought a 2014 Cruze that has lots of customization already done. HID headlights/fog lights already installed. In other vehicles of mine, I have had bad experiences with HID's, and have been using LED's in my truck for about a year now with no issues. So, I went ahead and ordered the same LED brand (Opt7) bulbs for the cruze. Long story short, I compared the LED's to the installed HID's, and there's virtually no difference. Once the HID's go out, I'll be replacing them with the Opt7 LED bulbs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Will LED bulbs fit in the Winjet housings? I see they have a cover on the back where the bulbs go.
Sorry didn't see your post. To answer your question no 99% of led headlights will not work. The problem is that there is no room for the heatsink to stick out of the dust cap. generally leds that are worth a dam have heatsinks. The passenger side would be jammed against the factory air box assuming you had one. The driver side is wedged against the fuse panel to the point that it is nearly impossible to get the cap off it takes some determination and finagling.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry didn't see your post. To answer your question no 99% of led headlights will not work. The problem is that there is no room for the heatsink to stick out of the dust cap. generally leds that are worth a dam have heatsinks. The passenger side would be jammed against the factory air box assuming you had one. The driver side is wedged against the fuse panel to the point that it is nearly impossible to get the cap off it takes some determination and finagling.
So, even with regular halogen bulbs, you would have to take the bumper off and the headlight assembly out to change a bulb?? That really kills the purchase of these. lol Too bad.

Thanks for responding. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
No you don't have to drop the bumper to get the dust cap off. You can get the cap off and the bulb out its just a pain in the ass. Even more so for me because I have hids. I would say that a halogen bulb would be the easiest to get out because you don't have hid power wires coming out of the cap and getting in the way.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts