Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this forum through google, and it seems like a good place to get some advice on my 2011 Cruze. We've been getting slammed with rain the past few weeks, and I started noticing water was puddling in the left rear seat. I finally was able to start investigating it today, and the water is coming through the inner seal on the inside of the window vent glass, and leaking through the post where that secures the airbag cover that recedes back to the rear window (I have pictures for clarification). I'm able to get it to leak after spraying the door/window area with a water hose for about 30-45 seconds. When it starts leaking, it's actually more of a steady light stream coming through the area circled in the attached pictures. Is this a seal that can be replaced/siliconed, or does the whole vent glass have to be replaced? The local dealership can't look at it until next week, so I'm trying to come up with a way to prevent more water from getting in. If it has to be replaced, is this a job that can be tackled pretty easily? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

The car is a 2011 with 67K on it. We bought it used from a Honda lot, so I doubt we'll have any kind of warranty on it.

Inside_Window_Vent.jpg Air_Bag_Post.jpg Door_Seal.jpg Inside_Window_Vent2.jpg Outside_Vent.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The car is a 2011 with 67K on it.
You have until 5 years from the "in service date" (first sale) or 100K for the powertrain. However, the Bumper to Bumper expired at 36K.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
If it's the seal, and it sure looks like it, the entire seal would need to be replaced although the cost to do it could be another story. I would try the silicon repair first (and if it is the seal that is torn or cracked) I don't see why that wouldn't work. Try Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant (should be about $5 for a 3 oz tube).
[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had assumed the bumper to bumper was already out of the question, but it's good to know for sure.

I believe I'm going to give the Permatex a try and see if that helps it any. I'd hate to have the whole thing replaced, because I'm sure it's going to be pricey if done by a shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went the Permatex route, and so far it seems to have stopped the leaking. We'll see how long it holds up.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
If you are unsuccessful, try a regular glass replacement shop.....the kind that replaces windshields.

Geared toward and much more successful with this type of problem......waaaaaay cheaper too......and often, while you wait.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I went to a glass shop to re-attach a rear view mirror in my old car. It stayed up for 10+ years. I paid $1 more then I would have for the kit to do it myself. Probably one of my best bargains.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts