Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I switched cars with a work collegue for a few days. She gets to drive my 2014 Cruze LT 6 speed and I get her 2013 Honda Civic. When she got home she texted me how great the car drives and that she loves it compared to her Civic. Seriously the Cruze is a great, very well built and the suspension is well tuned. GM are finally building a world class product that can surpass very competitive products like the Civic or the Corolla in this segment !

·
Registered
10 Posts
I felt the same way the other day I borrowed my almost brother in laws civic, same year, the other day for work when my tint was still drying on
my car (have to roll down window at work to open electric gate, no room to open door) and I don't mean to be harsh or anything to Honda owners it's a slick car inside and out but compared to my Cruze the civic in general felt like it lacked the quality Honda was known for the interior pieces felt like I could effortlessly break a lot of things by accident just being to rough

TLDR ; borrowed similar civic, felt cheap.
Edit: spelling

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think he means west side of US, then specifically California. But just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong @Mistertoasty117 . Granted the Cruze is a great car- it has been being built since 2008/9. It's a great seller in the US, South Korea, and China.

However, I don't think the outgoing Cruze model is better than the brand new Civic. The new civic just won North American Car of the Year, and it's based on the future Accord platform. It's a nice riding car, with a great interior (they got rid of that weird 2 screen thing). However, the Cruze has a brand new model too, and it gets amazing gas mileage, looks better to my eyes (ive spotted 2 already publicly- even though they're not at dealers. They had manufacturers plates). The new cruze could and I hope beats out the new Civic in a majority of key areas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Eddy Cruze yes that general area
@razercruze15 yeah I've only driven the 2013 model civic the newer ones do look a lot better like they got some more love from Honda ha I don't really follow up on too much hondas so can only speak from my previous driving on the old model

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife and I test drove a Civic, Corolla, Kia, Hyundai, Focus, skipped the Dart, not a Suzuki or a Nissan dealer close, and overall preferred the Cruze. Nice handling and very quiet. Ha, gather some people on this board do not prefer quiet.

Well having a $4.700.00 additional discount on our old GM card was part of it. That was on top of the best price we could find.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Wife and I test drove a Civic, Corolla, Kia, Hyundai, Focus, skipped the Dart, not a Suzuki or a Nissan dealer close, and overall preferred the Cruze. Nice handling and very quiet. Ha, gather some people on this board do not prefer quiet.

Well having a $4.700.00 additional discount on our old GM card was part of it. That was on top of the best price we could find.
I understand you alot on the quiet and price part. I really like the compliance of the suspension too. Ive never owned such a smooth, soft riding car before. It's up there in cars Ive owned in terms of quietness too.

I got my car when the 15's came out and mine was the last 2014 out of the 3 closest chevy dealers- in eco trim. I specifically wanted the eco for the forged wheels, aerodynamic upgrades, etc; I figured it would be the lightest. Anyways, there was a $4500 rebate from GM and the dealer discounted an additional $4000 not including all the dealer add ons they kept on the car. It may have been 4000 from GM and 4500 from dealer, I don't remember.

But yeah, at the time, a nice riding commuting car like the Cruze with good mileage (best EPA mileage car Ive owned), cool things like rear cross traffic alert, blind spot thing, mylink, etc for the price sealed the deal.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I feel like every other car in the Cruze's class does seem very cheap. LOTS of plastic-y crappy interior going on, cheap hard seats, lots of road noise, numb steering....the one thing some other companies totally beat the Cruze with, is their stereo sound quality....Mopar factory base model stereos have WAY more bass and volume than the Cruze...but honestly that's all I can say other brands won on. And the fact that the Dart and Corolla have the option for HID projectors....can't believe Chevy didn't offer that until the new 2017 model.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I like my Cruze, but it is a bit behind the quality of the opposition in every comparison I have read as far as dynamics is concerned. Build quality is good, but not better than other makes. The Japanese cars here are still the top sellers in the class. Mazda 3 and Toyota Corolla are the top sellers. Are the Honda and other Japanese cars built in USA? that could explain a difference in build quality as the ones we get, though imported, are very good cars. I chose the Cruze because I liked it and my daughter also bought one for the same reason. A good competitive price also helped.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah.. When I think of the outgoing Cruze, I feel it's actually behind it's competitors in alot of areas.

Horsepower and Torque is a big one.... see the new Mazda 3, new turbo Civic.

Interior Quality...See the new Mazda 3, new Civic, new Elantra.

Driving engagement... See the new Mazda 3, new Civic.

Looks...Subjective but compared to newer models, people can tell it's a little dated (the big reflector headlights as mentioned do not help)

Quietness... Still competitive.

Safety... Still competitive.

Features... See Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Elantra, Forte.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Sorry to be off topic....but is anyone else shocked that the new Cruze doesn't have an 18 inch wheel option....like wtf Chevrolet.
I was actually more surprised at the standard 15in steel wheels, the current cruze doesn't come with anything less than 16in. I suspect 18in wheels will be available on a future model.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I was actually more surprised at the standard 15in steel wheels, the current cruze doesn't come with anything less than 16in. I suspect 18in wheels will be available on a future model.
True, I didn't think about that....brings me back to my 2005 LS Malibu with the 15's haha....I hated how small those were.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Hey guys, so I switched cars with a work collegue for a few days. She gets to drive my 2014 Cruze LT 6 speed and I get her 2013 Honda Civic. When she got home she texted me how great the car drives and that she loves it compared to her Civic. Seriously the Cruze is a great, very well built and the suspension is well tuned. GM are finally building a world class product that can surpass very competitive products like the Civic or the Corolla in this segment !
OH good!! I thought you were going to say you loaned your cruze to a friend and she wrecked it.
If so then you could wreck her civic and you'd be even. LOL

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
You mean putting these things on a car?

Worthless if driving in mud, ice, or snow. Well, almost this bad.
Nick, would you kindly return those to the Prius you stole them from. :grin:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah she didn't wreck it I know she's a safe driver. If ever something happens, there's 10 airbags, a 5 star safety rating and OnStar automatic crash response for her safety. But the Civic is a good car but lack the general refinement of the Cruze especially for the powertrain. The 1.4T is a much smoother and refined engine

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Yeah, I've got a friend with a 2014 Civic and the Cruze just feels, rides, and drives nicer (although the Civic does corner better).

I actually went to check out the 2012 Civic when it first came out and was massively disappointed. Felt like they tried to out-Corolla the Corolla - huge grey slabs of cheap plastic and other materials everywhere. That drove me to look at the Cruze and Focus when I probably would have not normally considered an American car, as they really were leagues above the small-car competition at the time.

Now the 2016 Civic - that's a game-changer. Another friend and I went to check out one - and an Accord to replace her 2007 Civic. Both engines are much, much better than the gutless and noisy R18 - especially that 1.5 Turbo, they're spacious on the inside, and very quiet. The new Cruze has got some serious competition there - if it ever actually gets around to dealer lots.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My older son purchased a 2013 ECO MT after driving my 2012 ECO MT. My parents, who are both diehard import fans, both like my ECO MT.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts