Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter's coming, and we all know how well slush and rocks mix and get kicked up into your paint. The best solution for this is to install some mud flaps, but even the ebay variety are still too small and there aren't any options for owners of the RS package. This would be an option for owners with the RS package.

I got in contact with Interstate Plastics and talked to one of their experts, who recommended two materials that we can use with great success. If we can get them a drawing or a DXF file (can be made with solidworks or such) to run on their router, they can make us these mud flaps. Router time is $80 an hour, but if enough people want these, we can make them very affordable.

Our options are:
High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
BLACK HDPE SHEET Plastic Sheets

Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW)
BLACK UHMW SHEET-REPRO Plastic Sheets

HDPE is used often for things like ATV fenders and flaps, and their technician noted that it is also used on snowmobiles. This material has an excellent resistance to water and its strength. I think it would be perfect for our use.

UHMW is different in that it is rated down to cyrogenic temperatures, so there would be absolutely no concern with regard to impact or shatter resistance. However, it is significantly more expensive, and I'm not entirely sure if it would be necessary. If we wanted the best of the best, this is what we'd use.

In order to do this, we would need to purchase one 48x96 inch sheet and have it CNC cut to our specification. They noted they can do this in 1 hour of CNC time. Here are the costs, including the CNC tim:

0.250" UHMW: $184
0.250" HDPE: $104
0.187" HDPE: $78

1 hour of CNC time: $80

My thought is that the pieces would probably end up being somewhere around 12" in width and 16" in height, with rounded edges and such. The end result would be something like this, but for a fraction of the cost:

Universal UR Mud flap Grey Logo

Out of a 48" x 96" sheet, we could make a total of 24 mud flaps, to fit 6 cars altogether.

Cost per kit, per car, to make only enough for 6 cars at this rate would be:

0.250" UHMW: $44 per car
0.250" HDPE: $31 per car
0.187" HDPE: $27 per car

If we bumped that up to 12 cars, our rate would be:
0.250" UHMW: $37 per car
0.250" HDPE: $24 per car
0.187" HDPE: $20 per car

This does not include shipping from Interstate Plastics, but I wouldn't expect it to be more than $3 or $4 per car. These would get shipped to me, and I'd separate them and ship them out to the rest of you. Figure an extra $10-$15 for me to ship them out. Maximum price I'd expect to pay for a set of these out of UHMW is $65 if only 6 people wanted them. I have a feeling more than 6 people will want them.

The only thing we need is some measurements to determine exactly what shape they need to be. I'll need some help with this, because I don't have enough time to do it myself. We will need to make a mock-up of these out of cardboard to see how they look and fit, and if we're happy, we can send off the design and get these made.

So, who wants some unbreakable rally style mud flaps?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Those look awfully long for an RS that has minimal ground clearance due to ground effects.

Like the ones available for the non-RS trims, I think those would be perfect if we can shape those to the RS's.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Those look awfully long for an RS that has minimal ground clearance due to ground effects.

Like the ones available for the non-RS trims, I think those would be perfect if we can shape those to the RS's.
16" is not the length that extends underneath the car. You'll be able to mount them as high up as you want. The ground effects won't change how high the mud flaps will be.

It wouldn't be possible to change the ones for non-rs models. I'm actually taking mine off to install some of these. The reason is that dirt and small rocks can get stuck inside and over time will leave an ugly mark full of scratches on the paint where the flap used to be.

If 16 is too high, we can make them 12" and make 32 pieces instead for 8 cars, thus lowering the price.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
16" is not the length that extends underneath the car. You'll be able to mount them as high up as you want. The ground effects won't change how high the mud flaps will be.

It wouldn't be possible to change the ones for non-rs models. I'm actually taking mine off to install some of these. The reason is that dirt and small rocks can get stuck inside and over time will leave an ugly mark full of scratches on the paint where the flap used to be.

If 16 is too high, we can make them 12" and make 32 pieces instead for 8 cars, thus lowering the price.

I like the way you think, good sir. :goodjob:

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I seem to be getting chips higher on the 1/4 panel. Maybe your idea would complement mine. Im not sure if im crazy about the flat squared look. Do you have a drawing of your ideas shape?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I seem to be getting chips higher on the 1/4 panel. Maybe your idea would complement mine. Im not sure if im crazy about the flat squared look. Do you have a drawing of your ideas shape?
The flat squared look isn't for everyone, but I don't have the resources to design a splash guard that looks like the commonly available ones on the non-RS cars.

I don't have drawings at this time, but just do a google image search for "rally style mud flaps" and you'll get the idea. Some are more over the top than others, but some look tasteful and proper. I'm not out to make this look like a rally car, just trying to make an affordable alternative for non-rs models and make it so the rs models have at least some kind of protection.

On a side note, I'm starting to realize that 1/4" material is pretty thick...

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depending on how they mount im interested im just not drilling into the body!
No drilling into the body, but you will be creating holes in the inner wheel well to mount these to. I simply don't see any other way to mount them unless you want to get a tub of super glue. The existing fasteners won't be enough to hold them.

In other news...

I've decided we're going with 0.1875" HDPE, which means these will be cheap.

Assuming Ryan is up for it, we'll have 5 people buying including me. One more, and we'll be ready.

A buddy I started a business with in college does a lot of robotics work and offered to design me the part in Solidworks, so we'll soon have something to send out to get these made. These will get done in no time. They'll probably end up being somewhere around $50 shipped to your door, possibly less.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you had a look at the rear mounting location? it seems like the mudflaps wont fasten to wheel well as it sits further back than the metal part
I'll look into it. Might require a rather creative design.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
some,somehwhat custom spacers?or just a washer that fits decntly flush
just some ideas
That might work. I'll try to look into it today or tomorrow.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
sorry dude put mud flaps on last year/
DO utilize aluminum or comperable fasteners
drilled 1 hole on rear fender well lower left lower right

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am in. I was afraid to put the wrap around style on because it can trap dirt and small rocks and scratch up your paint.

I'm a design engineer and can create a DXF file if you need a back up plan.

I agree that .1875 thickness will be plenty for how short the flap will be hanging down passed the car's fender. They will be completely adjustable with just some trimming on the top edge IF you don't want them to hang down so close to the ground.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am in. I was afraid to put the wrap around style on because it can trap dirt and small rocks and scratch up your paint.

I'm a design engineer and can create a DXF file if you need a back up plan.

I agree that .1875 thickness will be plenty for how short the flap will be hanging down passed the car's fender. They will be completely adjustable with just some trimming on the top edge IF you don't want them to hang down so close to the ground.
My buddy hasn't yet been able to get me anything in a DXF, so if you could get something together, that would be great. 15" tall at the tallest length and 11.5" wide is what I'm going for. I still have to do some more work to see how they would fit due to that fender lip/ridge that causes the wheel well arches to be recessed in a bit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts