Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Facebook page, however felt compelled to post in here. If you notice this ensure that you replace the rusting fasteners as they will destroy the look of your lenses and rusted screw will enlarge and damage the mounting hole and maybe break off.

I noticed rust on both of the lens only after 23 months and 93000 kms. Knowing that the fasteners are to blame I was able to remove them and replace them with #8 X 1/2" stainless screws. I used a toothbrush, cloth and a mild cleaning acid (BBQ cleaner) to renew the look back to near new like they should be.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
I had the same problem with mine. It was starting to attack the body so I took it in to the dealer thinking they would take care of it since at that time I had only owned it for about 2 months. They laughed and said I should replace the screws. I ended up finding similar screws to what you have, only cross tip (Philips) and since I purchased different lenses - they came with a rear-view camera and a laser fog-light I just took out the rusty lenses.

Good fix though.

Product Electronics Circle Technology Auto part

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Do you guys live in a area where they salt the roads? I'm exposed to salt spray, but my screws are no where near as bad.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Even at 10k miles, my screws were totally rusted out. Didn't affect the lens, tho.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
Do you guys live in a area where they salt the roads? I'm exposed to salt spray, but my screws are no where near as bad.
Ahhh yup!

They salt the salt around here! Stainless is the way to go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts