Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some LEDs in my license plate lights a while back. One of them had started to flicker and I thought they may have been the wrong ones I used. The other one has not started to flicker. I took out the screws (which were very rusted and I actually just replaced them with some stainless steel ones) and examined the bulb that was flickering. It had a bit of rust and corrosion on it. The connector the bulb goes into also had some corrosion on the pins as well. The inside of the light housing was dry and the seal on the connector wasn't cracked and hadn't let any water in. The only other thing I can think of is that water came in from the back of the connector where the wires enter it. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures when I had it opened up.

Anyway, has anyone had problems with corrosion like this that they've noticed? I cleaned up the corrosion as best I could and put a new bulb in. We'll see how long this one lasts. The other lasted about 6 months before it started acting weird.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Yeah, when I put my Diode Dynamics LED license plate light bulbs in my brand new 2015 Cruze a few months back, I noticed the passenger side connector pins that the bulb goes into already had some green corrosion on them. I thought this was really weird and unfortunate. I tried to take a q-tip and get it off the best I could before putting the new bulb in. The other side was corrosion free but the wire had less give so I had to pull it towards me with some tweezers in order to have enough give to take the old bulb out and put the new one in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts