Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Lifters lash adjusters etc

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 ·
Good day everyone,

I have looked and looked and as of yet I have not found anyone other than 1 person who had their lifters changed. My issue started almost 3 weeks ago when I received my car back from having the cam seals replaced, it is a 2013 Cruze 1.4. 4 days later I had no power and the check engine light p0324 I returned the car to the dealer. I spoke with them a few times during the day to no avail and I was told the light is off come and get your car. The light was on and of course stayed on, no power at all and loud ticking from the engine. I changed the oil, 50km all was quiet, then no power, loud ticking and engine light back on of course P0324. I tossed in an oil additive and no change with the ticking, so changed the oil once again. 50km or so the car was quiet and returned to normal operation, then once again the ticking returned followed by the engine light. I changed the oil again and added Rislone to the mix and this kept things quiet and running normal for ruffly 300km before the ticking has returned, but as of yet no light.

I never had any trouble with this car, always used synthetic oil and changed between 6,000km and 7,000km, I should add all highway driving, typically 110-120km/h.

I am not sure what the process is for doing the cam seals, I just want to know if during that repair something could have been done since no one seems to have any idea of what is causing this or how to repair it. I am guessing by the noise going away when an oil change and/or additive is done that it could be pressure related??? Could it be my oil pump or is it more likely that I need to replace my lifters/lash adjusters, I am at a loss and just do not want to cause serious damage to my motor.

As of this morning the Cruze has 220,100 km on it.

Thank you for your thoughts

See less See more
#4 ·
For me it was the lifters, I swapped the motor out for a 2015 motor as I already had 220k on mine. The issue did not appear until after I had the dealer do the cam seals, looking back, I should have swapped the motor before doing anything. The new motor had 16k or so when I bought it. To date I have put 1800 km on it and it takes me back to the day I bought the Cruze, amazing how a fresh motor does that, plan on keeping this one another 220k or more.

I tried everything that I came across, different oils, additives etc...nothing works. I can tell you the motor did not fail on me for the 2,000 km I drove before replacing. I would suggest you take a look at the timing chain guide (under the valve cover) I came across someone who had the bolts loosen and that was causing the rattling that in turn threw the p0324 code. The orange part in the picture below (the photo was taken from one of Extreme's write ups).

Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part

#5 ·
I am so happy to finally find someone else with this issue.

It started almost a year ago, I got a loud ticking and my car was waaay down on power. It would come and go, totally intermittent, so hard to get it to the shop and not seem crazy when it’s like this.

I noticed now that I’ve had two oil changes that the problem just disappears for a while but will eventually come back. Until I change the oil again.

I just got home from a trip, Toronto to Nova Scotia.

The car was great the drive there and around NS. On the last day as I was heading to visit a friend I was climbing a big hill. I don’t usually have to downshift but all of a sudden my cars power just like cut in half. I had to downshift to third to make it the rest of the way.

This time the issue seems worse. If I try to climb the rpm through second, it basically dies around 4500. Just doesn’t seem to want to go anywhere.

I am really hoping I don’t have to replace the whole motor. But I definitely have a better idea of what it is for my mechanic!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.