Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I currently have about 4800 KM's on my Cruze LT Turbo w/ RS package. As far as I can remember, when I'm driving and I come to a complete stop, about 2 seconds later, I feel a faint 'bump', almost like someone is nudging me from behind (not the case). It varies from fant to very noticible. I took it into the dealer yesterday for the Recall and they said they had fixed it. I took it back out on the road today and I'm experiencing the same issue. So I called the dealer's service centre today and the guy put me on hold to talk to another person who works there that also owns the Cruze. He came back on the phone and said that the other gentleman experiences the same issue and its a known problem with the Cruze and to bring it by later for a test drive.

I went back to the dealer yesterday and determined it's specific to the car. The service rep I talked to said there's nothing he can do though because there's no error codes and can't determine the problem, and playing around with it could "decrease fuel efficiency" (BS?). He also said that if this is a known issue with GM, they will release 'bulletins' and I can bring the car back. I asked if I should call GM to inform this of the problem, and he said no.

I decided to call GM anyway and ask get their advice on this issue. I talked to a very nice lady over the phone and explained my issue. She told me that if I'm still experiencing issues in 2 weeks to call her back directly and she'll schedule a maintenece service for me at the dealer.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Cruze?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hello!

I currently have about 4800 KM's on my Cruze LT Turbo w/ RS package. As far as I can remember, when I'm driving and I come to a complete stop, about 2 seconds later, I feel a faint 'bump', almost like someone is nudging me from behind (not the case). It varies from fant to very noticible. I took it into the dealer yesterday for the Recall and they said they had fixed it. I took it back out on the road today and I'm experiencing the same issue. So I called the dealer's service centre today and the guy put me on hold to talk to another person who works there that also owns the Cruze. He came back on the phone and said that the other gentleman experiences the same issue and its a known problem with the Cruze and to bring it by later for a test drive.

I went back to the dealer yesterday and determined it's specific to the car. The service rep I talked to said there's nothing he can do though because there's no error codes and can't determine the problem, and playing around with it could "decrease fuel efficiency" (BS?). He also said that if this is a known issue with GM, they will release 'bulletins' and I can bring the car back. I asked if I should call GM to inform this of the problem, and he said no.

I decided to call GM anyway and ask get their advice on this issue. I talked to a very nice lady over the phone and explained my issue. She told me that if I'm still experiencing issues in 2 weeks to call her back directly and she'll schedule a maintenece service for me at the dealer.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Cruze?

Thanks,

Adam
Hey Adam
It is not a problem, it is a feature of the transmission. That bump you feel is the trans going into neutral at a stop to reduce drag on the engine and save fuel. You will also feel a similar slight nudge as it rengages when you begin to lift off the brake pedal. This is a common observance in Cruze owners but rest assured, it is there to help save you $$.

Please educate other owners and even the dealership personnel if you have to. Even some GM reps do not know about the feature apparently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Adam
It is not a problem, it is a feature of the transmission. That bump you feel is the trans going into neutral at a stop to reduce drag on the engine and save fuel. You will also feel a similar slight nudge as it rengages when you begin to lift off the brake pedal. This is a common observance in Cruze owners but rest assured, it is there to help save you $$.

Please educate other owners and even the dealership personnel if you have to. Even some GM reps do not know about the feature apparently.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I took another Cruze LT Turbo around the sales lot and came to a complete stop at least 7 times and that car didn't have the same 'issue' I'm referring to. Even the service rep I was dealing with said his Cruze doesn't do this. Why would it be there on mine, and not another Cruze that had 4 Km's on it? :s I'm not questioning your answer at all, just wondering if its 'feature', why it wasn't on another car I tested? Even the demo I tested before buying it didn't have this.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

I took another Cruze LT Turbo around the sales lot and came to a complete stop at least 7 times and that car didn't have the same 'issue' I'm referring to. Even the service rep I was dealing with said his Cruze doesn't do this. Why would it be there on mine, and not another Cruze that had 4 Km's on it? :s I'm not questioning your answer at all, just wondering if its 'feature', why it wasn't on another car I tested? Even the demo I tested before buying it didn't have this.

Thanks again!
For what it is worth, my LTZ does not do this, 2K miles on it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have not noticed the bump, but when I first bought the car, I did notice it start to roll backwards after I removed my foot from the brake.
For some reason, it does not do this anymore. Did the "enhancement" go away? Did it get fixed/removed with one of the recall or TBS fixes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Really eh? I find it a little annoying. How about yourself? Do you just live with it?
I don't notice any "bump" when I come to a stop in my car. Although I do notice a very slight engagement of the tranny when giving it gas from a stop sign, so I am assuming that the system to disconnect the transmission to save gas is working. But no "bump", I would have complained to the Service Dept if I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't notice any "bump" when I come to a stop in my car. Although I do notice a very slight engagement of the tranny when giving it gas from a stop sign, so I am assuming that the system to disconnect the transmission to save gas is working. But no "bump", I would have complained to the Service Dept if I did.

Sorry, I read your sentence wrong. lol

I did complain. So I guess I'll keep pushing it with GM's Customer Service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not noticed the bump, but when I first bought the car, I did notice it start to roll backwards after I removed my foot from the brake.
For some reason, it does not do this anymore. Did the "enhancement" go away? Did it get fixed/removed with one of the recall or TBS fixes?
I took it in Monday for the recall. They found a fault in the tranmission, but I guess that was a seperate issue as the 'bump' is still there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of curiousity, do you think this issue can be fixed without an error code? The service rep said it would be hard to determine the issue without one. But I'm just wondering if he's BS'ing me

Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Out of curiousity, do you think this issue can be fixed without an error code? The service rep said it would be hard to determine the issue without one. But I'm just wondering if he's BS'ing me

Thanks
I would think that there are a lot of issues with a car that won't generate an error code. Just because there is no error code, does not mean there isn't a problem. I believe he may be BS'ing you. It may be harder to determine the cause of a problem if the onboard computer doesn't tell you what area has an issue, but it's not impossible. People have successfully diagnosed car problems for a long time without error codes :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I get a bump also. It seems like it is coming from the front passanger side of the car.
Mine feels more like it's on the drivers side, or just in general from the front of the car. :s Not sure what's going on. Have you taken it back to the dealer to complain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would think that there are a lot of issues with a car that won't generate an error code. Just because there is no error code, does not mean there isn't a problem. I believe he may be BS'ing you. It may be harder to determine the cause of a problem if the onboard computer doesn't tell you what area has an issue, but it's not impossible. People have successfully diagnosed car problems for a long time without error codes :)
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks again!
TSURacing is correct, it's the transmission going into neutral when you come to a stop. The reason why the other cruze with 4 km didn't go into neutral is because it probably wasn't at full operating temp. Here's a section from the owners manual from page 9-26:

The vehicle has an automatic
neutral shift feature which allows
the transmission to automatically
shift to N (Neutral) when the vehicle
is stopped with a forward gear
engaged. The reduced load on
the engine improves vehicle fuel
economy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
After my car has been parked, I get a lite "thump" from the rear after moving about 100-200 feet. It feels like something in the rear suspension.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well, I'm first going to say that I'm not so sure it's really a problem. I feel a very light bump too, and it's definitely something with the way the transmission is disengaging. It's not something that causes anyone discomfort though, and it doesn't affect the way the car rides or operates, so I just let it go. My last car, with a similar "fuzzy logic" transmission, misbehaved way worse than this from time to time, so for me this is nothing.

Other, newer-off-the-lot Cruzes might not do it - yet - because their transmissions haven't gone through as many miles and "learned" certain behaviors yet. And some may never bump like others. They're supposed to to adapt their operation based on a number of factors as the car gets driven, and that's what makes this hard to diagnose. It's not true that every Cruze transmission will behave *exactly* the same way. And that's the case for a LOT of modern transmissions n lots of cars now.

Don't like it? Blame Chrysler. They came up with the idea, and it stuck. Mainly because it works pretty well, most of the time.

BUT, by saying what he said, you service guy IS being pretty lazy, and expecting the car to diagnose problems for him when the fact is, the car can't diagnose everything. If the car's built in diagnostics were that good, then he wouldn't have a job.

Honestly, I would consider taking it to another dealer for service going forward. Maybe even have them look at the bump issue for you and see what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jeez. So THATS why I was suddenly rolling backwards when stopped on a hill this afternoon, with light pressure on the brake pedal. Sounds like a good feature, until you unwittingly roll into the front of the poor schmuck behind you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After my car has been parked, I get a lite "thump" from the rear after moving about 100-200 feet. It feels like something in the rear suspension.
I feel like mine just started to do this with close to 11k on it. I don't seem to notice it all of the time but it feels/sounds like I just ran over something small. I can't reproduce the problem all of the time though, so I know if I take it to the dealer it will just be a waste of time. I plan on just driving it like normal and when I can reproduce the issue every time I will take mine in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
normal feature of the transmission - my '11 LTZ does the same thing - slight roll back until it sees any wheel speed then it engages - and slight bump as you come to a stop - as stated, meant for fuel efficiency - there are reprograms for the TCM however that will probably not fix any 'bump' issues. also, yes it will take upto 250 miles before your TCM adapts to your driving style....upto 250 miles of driving AFTER a TCM/PCM reprogram also....each vehicle is slightly different and will react and act slightly different - i work at a Chevy dealer in North Jersey and unfortunatly, without any DTC's or poor driveability concers, it would be listed as 'no problem found and normal operation'.......agreed...it can totally get annoying! esp. if you have to stop and then gas it again quickly 5year/100k powertrain warranty =) don't worry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts