Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anyone tried or is going to try doing some or all of the mods on their Eco to get the BEST mpg:

light weight wheels (what do the stockers weigh?)
CF hood and Trunk (maybe not out yet)
Intake
Exhaust (downpipe, mid pipe and cat back)
charge pipes
intercooler
bpv upgrade
Tune (probably the most important one)

We usually do these for more power, but they also help the engine flow better and if paired with tuning can improve mileage. I'm wondering if anyone is going to do these and track mpg. I'm trying to convince the roommates to get some of these parts to up their mpg ;)

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...the "best" thing you can do to improve your gas milage is "change your driving habits." Unfortunately, that is something most drivers won't do.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Often times the money spent on increasing fuel economy is more than the actual savings over a couple years. If you're going to keep the car for awhile then it might be worth it in the long run though if gas prices continue to increase

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Often times the money spent on increasing fuel economy is more than the actual savings over a couple years. If you're going to keep the car for awhile then it might be worth it in the long run though if gas prices continue to increase
Some hypermilers get so caught up chasing a number they dont weigh the full cost/benefit analysis of the situation.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...the "best" thing you can do to improve your gas milage is "change your driving habits." Unfortunately, that is something most drivers won't do.
but that doesnt add new shiny parts ;) Then if they get new parts...they could race it!!! haha jk

You would be surprised how much those mods could affect it though...But I was just told by a gm race tech that the stock wheels are about 17lbs..so not to shabby on those.

Tuning can make a big difference. Cars usually come slightly rich from the factory, for "safety" in all environments. But ya the cost of parts can be high, but a tune is fairly cheap. I just got a tuner for my escape and put the economy tune on it. I'll see what I get after a few tanks, but most people say they get 5mpg more per tank. You are right, if you own it for a while it will make its money back :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after looking, theres no real options for light weight wheels yet. Then I noticed the bolt pattern is funky too. Eh time will bring more wheel options.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would take a guess on the 18" rims and say they're close to if not more than 22lbs. Not sure about the 17s or 16s but expect them to be just slightly lighter than that.

I'm no turbo expert but why would we want to upgrade our current bpv?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I plan on picking up an intake and dp/exhaust one day. Not so much for the fuel economy, but for the fun factor. I'll just use gas as an excuse to buy them lol

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
So has anyone tried or is going to try doing some or all of the mods on their Eco to get the BEST mpg:

light weight wheels (what do the stockers weigh?)
CF hood and Trunk (maybe not out yet)
Intake
Exhaust (downpipe, mid pipe and cat back)
charge pipes
intercooler
bpv upgrade
Tune (probably the most important one)

We usually do these for more power, but they also help the engine flow better and if paired with tuning can improve mileage. I'm wondering if anyone is going to do these and track mpg. I'm trying to convince the roommates to get some of these parts to up their mpg ;)
This is the exact logic I'm using for any mods i do to my Eco. If it doesn't benefit performance and fuel economy at the same time I'm not interested.

BTW, VIS makes carbon fiber hoods for our cars but i have no clue what the weight savings are.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Nope I meant Eco wheels and tires... Btw I never once assumed the tires weighed 4lbs... I will have to weigh the combo myself it does seem like.

The info is from my retarded older brother who is a transmission calibrator for the 1.4L auto
The Eco tires weight 19 lbs. each which is very light for a 215/55/17, most other tires that size weight 23-25 lbs. on average. The Eco wheels and tires together weight a little over 36 lbs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would take a guess on the 18" rims and say they're close to if not more than 22lbs. Not sure about the 17s or 16s but expect them to be just slightly lighter than that.

I'm no turbo expert but why would we want to upgrade our current bpv?
the stock one on the LNF (tc/ss cobalt) uses rubber and can rip, leading to leaking. Its more for efficiency and making sure it doesnt leak. When its working properly it will hold boost until the end of the rpm band, or when you let off the gas. The car uses a bpv, which is an enclosed system, so if its leaking the ecu wont be reading it properly. Forge makes one for the stock LNF k04 turbo, I looked at the 1.4L bpv the other day, looks easy to replace, maybe forge made one for this engine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Eco tires weight 19 lbs. each which is very light for a 215/55/17, most other tires that size weight 23-25 lbs. on average. The Eco wheels and tires together weight a little over 36 lbs.
if the tires at 19lbs then it makes perfect sense the stock eco wheels would be 17lbs. Equals 36....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts