Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just bought a used 2013 Cruze LS with 95,000 miles on it (I know!) a couple of days ago. Everything seemed fine with it until I took it home, of course, and I noticed smoke coming from the hood. Last night it happened when I parked on an incline, but I just chalked it up to maybe the cold weather. Today it happened again when parked on an incline (I haven't noticed it at any other time) along with a "chirping" noise. The only warning light on on the dashboard is for tire pressure. I've attached a video for more specifics, but I'm 100% the furthest thing from a car guy. Like, when I took my ASVAB my lowest score was in mechanical. They'd ask me, "If you car shakes while driving, what's the problem?" and I'd answer with "Umm, the air freshener?" Anyway I digress. I'm taking the vehicle to get inspected this week but was wondering if any of you more knowledgeable folks have a feeling of what the problem is and, of course, what you think it'd cost to repair. Cheers.

Ok I can't post the link yet.

ETA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8rWcmu0gyE

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
That's quite something. I'm going to guess its the PCV TSB thing. But somebody else will know for sure.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
That would be coolant. Not familiar with the 1.8 but looks to be a hose leaking.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Engine coolant. The vapor is coming out between the two plates at that junction. The high pitched whine is a result of the escaping vapors and gasses. Take it in ASAP to the dealership you purchased it from and have them fix it. It may, but I'm not positive in this case, be covered under the power train warranty (5 yrs/100,000 miles).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm contacting the dealer and the shop I'm getting it inspected at. Depending on what the shop tells me it'd cost to fix I may either have them fix it or the dealer, as the dealer is about a 40 minute drive away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger. I was thinking since I was a 5 minute drive around the block from a reputable auto shop I'd just say f it and take it there but the dealership is covering all costs so I'll just have it towed there

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Auto shop told me the main problem was with the thermostat and that the leak is due to weak hoses. Stuff that the dealer's gonna pay for. In case you all were wondering

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Interesting that the dealer is willing to pay for something done at a different shop.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Interesting that the dealer is willing to pay for something done at a different shop.
I think he just had it looked at but not worked on at the independent shop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The dealer isn't one of those big chain-type dealerships, just a Mom and Pop type place with literally 7 cars on the lot. He was very understanding about it and just wanted to get it taken care of. He said he spoke to the mechanic and it sounds right to him so he's gonna pay for it. The thing is, the second hose isn't "broken" yet but the mechanic said it's old and weak and eventually it will cause problems further down the road so it's up to me whether I want to replace it or not. Dealer isn't going to pay for that, understandably, because technically it isn't broken and sounds more like a preventive maintenance type thing but I'll take the peace of mind and pay for it myself. Winter is coming, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts