Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting to suspect I got regular oil when I had my oil changed last rather than semi or a full synthetic oil like it deserves. Here's the cause for my concerns.

1) The sticker puts my next oil change at 4,000 miles instead of the usual 7,500
2) The customer receipt says "LOF 5 QTS" when last time I had an oil change the receipt said "LOF 5 QTS DEXOS"

Is this cause for concern? As I am writing this, I've decided I should indeed call and complain.

Note: I got the oil change on 3/27/17 and have driven 450ish miles already :(

UPDATE: I am just paranoid. Everything is fine, nothing to see here.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Worth noting, some dealerships will put 7500, some will put 3000, some will put 5000. "But this is the same dealership I went to last time!" So what? Management changes monthly. Most dealerships only carry dexos now. I'd guess you're panicking.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I'm starting to suspect I got regular oil when I had my oil changed last rather than semi or a full synthetic oil like it deserves. Here's the cause for my concerns.

1) The sticker puts my next oil change at 4,000 miles instead of the usual 7,500
2) The customer receipt says "LOF 5 QTS" when last time I had an oil change the receipt said "LOF 5 QTS DEXOS"

Is this cause for concern? As I am writing this, I've decided I should indeed call and complain.

Note: I got the oil change on 3/27/17 and have driven 450ish miles already :(

I'm thinking they have (or are using) a single entry code for an oil change at your dealership. This because your receipt is showing a 5qt. sale.
That being said, is there a part number being shown for the oil?

If so, just put the part # in your search bar and see what description comes up.

With exception to diesels, all GM vehicles call for (and have for a few years now) Dexos.....in some cases, Mobil 1. So, semi-syns or full synthetics are the order of the day.

The dealer I use does not even keep conventional oil in the building distribution system. They only stock conventional oil by the quart for use in older cars.

So, check the part number if you can in an attempt to satisfy your concern.....they may be doing something similar.

Rob

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,985 Posts
The new Dexos oil *should* be "full" synthetic; the semi syn stuff was phased out last year. Most dealers have replaced their inventory by now.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I think you are alright. But to be honest I agree with nick, there is a peace of mind associated with changing your own oil or at a minimum choosing a dealer where you can watch them change your oil. My Chevy dealer has a separate spot for oil changes and has a pit. It has open garage doors weather permitting, when I had free changes I normally just watched them, last time they didn't put def in and that's a part of my free changes, I find if someone else changes my oil I am comfy if I can watch. Walmart takes the used oil. It is sort of a hassle but the peace of mind knowing what goes in is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I'm thinking they have (or are using) a single entry code for an oil change at your dealership. This because your receipt is showing a 5qt. sale.
That being said, is there a part number being shown for the oil?

If so, just put the part # in your search bar and see what description comes up.

With exception to diesels, all GM vehicles call for (and have for a few years now) Dexos.....in some cases, Mobil 1. So, semi-syns or full synthetics are the order of the day.

The dealer I use does not even keep conventional oil in the building distribution system. They only stock conventional oil by the quart for use in older cars.

So, check the part number if you can in an attempt to satisfy your concern.....they may be doing something similar.

Rob

This.

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your input. Believe me it's killing me not to change my own oil. I'd MUCH rather do it myself. The reason I am not changing my own oil is because I live in an apartment that does not allow any vehicle maintenance of any kind. I haven't lived here for too long so I haven't made any friends that I can bum their garage. These oil changes are also being covered under the extended oil maintenance plan I bought when I bought the car. It was an extra $500 and its good for 5 years or 60,000 miles of oil changes. (I added it because the dealer reduced the interest rate on my loan by 2% for adding the package. I saved more than $500 in interest so it paid for itself)

@Robby Unfortunately there is no part number associated with the receipt so I can't check that. But it sounds like from what everyone is saying the chance they put regular oil in my car is very slim. I am still a little skeptical.

All I can picture is oil baking inside the oil lines for the turbo, then the turbo getting no oil, and it going ka-bang.

·
Premium Member
5,622 Posts
The new Dexos oil *should* be "full" synthetic; the semi syn stuff was phased out last year. Most dealers have replaced their inventory by now.
Thank you for reminding others about this. The national promotion last year for a $39.95 or less Dexos Blend service is now priced at $49.95 for the full synthetic.

[FONT=&quot][h=3]$49.95 or less ACDelco dexos1TM Full Synthetic[/h]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6-Quart Oil Change
4-Tire Rotation
Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][h=3]$59.95 or less ACDelco dexos1TM Full Synthetic[/h]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8-Quart Oil Change
4-Tire Rotation

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Offer Ends: 12/31/17

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

·
10,712 Posts
Worth noting, some dealerships will put 7500, some will put 3000, some will put 5000. "But this is the same dealership I went to last time!" So what? Management changes monthly. Most dealerships only carry dexos now. I'd guess you're panicking.
Thank you for reminding others about this. The national promotion last year for a $39.95 or less Dexos Blend service is now priced at $49.95 for the full synthetic.

$49.95 or less ACDelco dexos1TM Full Synthetic

6-Quart Oil Change
4-Tire Rotation

$59.95 or less ACDelco dexos1TM Full Synthetic

8-Quart Oil Change
4-Tire Rotation

Offer Ends: 12/31/17

Yep, all the above.

My dealer was all over with the miles/months till next change and then they went to "Last serviced at XXXXXX miles"

I never used dealer oil so it varied between customer supplied Dexos oil on floor board to just supplied oil.

When I went back to that dealer with my ex to get her car, the oil changes went up $10 for the lowest cost change. Honda 4cyl oil changes cost more than that 8 qt full synthetic.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Thanks for all of your input. Believe me it's killing me not to change my own oil. I'd MUCH rather do it myself. The reason I am not changing my own oil is because I live in an apartment that does not allow any vehicle maintenance of any kind. I haven't lived here for too long so I haven't made any friends that I can bum their garage. These oil changes are also being covered under the extended oil maintenance plan I bought when I bought the car. It was an extra $500 and its good for 5 years or 60,000 miles of oil changes. (I added it because the dealer reduced the interest rate on my loan by 2% for adding the package. I saved more than $500 in interest so it paid for itself)

@Robby Unfortunately there is no part number associated with the receipt so I can't check that. But it sounds like from what everyone is saying the chance they put regular oil in my car is very slim. I am still a little skeptical.

All I can picture is oil baking inside the oil lines for the turbo, then the turbo getting no oil, and it going ka-bang.
You know, you can always change the oil again early and not worry about it.

·
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Since I am picky about what oil (and filters) I use, I always bring my own oil and filter. I make sure they give back the leftover, so either they are squirreling away the oil plus finding a spot for 3/4 of a quart, or it's going in my car. I do trust my dealership, so I'm going with it's going in the car. They only charge me $9 for the oil change this way. For $9, it's worth it to me to not have to pull out the car ramps / oil catch bucket and getting all dirty. If you are going to have them do your changes, I suggest for peace of mind just bring your own oil to them. That way you'll know.

·
10,712 Posts
Since I am picky about what oil (and filters) I use, I always bring my own oil and filter. I make sure they give back the leftover, so either they are squirreling away the oil plus finding a spot for 3/4 of a quart, or it's going in my car. I do trust my dealership, so I'm going with it's going in the car. They only charge me $9 for the oil change this way. For $9, it's worth it to me to not have to pull out the car ramps / oil catch bucket and getting all dirty. If you are going to have them do your changes, I suggest for peace of mind just bring your own oil to them. That way you'll know.
I wish it was $9, mine charged $19.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts

University of Wisconsin, seven kids, can only stay in the dorms for two years, after this, deal with the crooks with way over priced rents for buildings that should have been condemned a long time ago. Only way to get there is with a vehicle.

On kid needed a new thermostat, just by opening the hood had some psycho yelling at me. Managed to get that car to a public library parking spot way in the back, was able to replace it there undisturbed.

This list can go on with seven kids, just saying I know what its like living in an apartment complex. Can't even open the hood to check your oil let alone, change it.

·
10,712 Posts
University of Wisconsin, seven kids, can only stay in the dorms for two years, after this, deal with the crooks with way over priced rents for buildings that should have been condemned a long time ago. Only way to get there is with a vehicle.

On kid needed a new thermostat, just by opening the hood had some psycho yelling at me. Managed to get that car to a public library parking spot way in the back, was able to replace it there undisturbed.

This list can go on with seven kids, just saying I know what its like living in an apartment complex. Can't even open the hood to check your oil let alone, change it.
My rental office closed at 5 PM so summer time that was still early enough light out after they last person left. Luckily I had access to the on base DIY hobby shop for stuff that I needed a lift or special tools for.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My rental office closed at 5 PM so summer time that was still early enough light out after they last person left. Luckily I had access to the on base DIY hobby shop for stuff that I needed a lift or special tools for.
Ha, referring to a military base DIY hobby shop? Recall those days, only problem is they only had one 9/16" open end wrench you had to sign your life away to use, but was already checked out.

Back then had to overhaul an engine about every 40K miles, sure no problem getting help. Like 16 guys, each to clean one hydraulic lifter, you call that clean, give me 50! LOL.

Couldn't help but notice that barbed wire on top of that chain link fence was pointed in to keep us locked in rather than keep the bad guys out. So on a weekend, gave us something to do. Finally saved up 70 bucks to buy a Craftsman starter set, still have it, they don't make em like this anymore.

Could buy a Victor overhaul gasket set for three bucks, tore many engines apart just to clean them, but always needed new gaskets. Breather pipes, loaded with sludge, with no shortage of free labor.

·
10,712 Posts
I took my cruze about 2 weeks ago for an oil change at the dealer, this was my 1st out of pocket oil change since it ran out of warranty and it was 55$!!!!!
Yep, sounds about right with the new full synthetic Dexos 1 after tax and "shop materials".

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a new 2016 4Runner which is covered by Toyota's 2 year free maintenance. Wife is taking it in tomorrow for the first oil change. I did some research first, there is a pretty extensive belly pan under the engine that has to be dropped to get the oil filter off. More than a few 10 & 12MM bolts hold it on along with the typical push pins. I know in my heart of hearts, the bolts and pins are not coming out of this unscathed. Also worried they will just drop the oil and leave the filter. We'll see how this goes and I may just forget about the rest of the "free" oil changes. And, Toyota's OCI is 10K miles.

I know this is a Cruze board, but yest I have anxiety when someone else messes with my rig. Especially someone I do not know..... It sucks living in an apartment complex or a community with strict HOA rules. I had a wheel bearing go out on my Silverado at work. Tow bill would have been nearly $200.00 to get it home. Left the truck in the lot, lucky it was on a Friday. Came back Saturday morning with jack and tools and changed it out in the lot. A security guard drove by, gave us a strange look but kept on going. Ah the feeling of 'necking it up, and being a CHEAP SOB!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have a new 2016 4Runner which is covered by Toyota's 2 year free maintenance. Wife is taking it in tomorrow for the first oil change. I did some research first, there is a pretty extensive belly pan under the engine that has to be dropped to get the oil filter off. More than a few 10 & 12MM bolts hold it on along with the typical push pins. I know in my heart of hearts, the bolts and pins are not coming out of this unscathed. Also worried they will just drop the oil and leave the filter. We'll see how this goes and I may just forget about the rest of the "free" oil changes. And, Toyota's OCI is 10K miles.

I know this is a Cruze board, but yest I have anxiety when someone else messes with my rig. Especially someone I do not know..... It sucks living in an apartment complex or a community with strict HOA rules. I had a wheel bearing go out on my Silverado at work. Tow bill would have been nearly $200.00 to get it home. Left the truck in the lot, lucky it was on a Friday. Came back Saturday morning with jack and tools and changed it out in the lot. A security guard drove by, gave us a strange look but kept on going. Ah the feeling of 'necking it up, and being a CHEAP SOB!!!!
If you're really concerned about it, find out how much an oil change would cost you out of pocket if you were outside of your maintenance plan. That should give you an idea on what they'll do.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts