Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background before my actual question. For the past 4 months I have been driving around (about 8,000 miles) and have had zero issues with my car. This all changed yesterday. I woke up to drive to work as usual, but about halfway to work, my car started making this awful rumbling sound whenever I would coast or apply the breaks. At first I thought it was just some snow build up, but it got worse the more I drove. I made it to work (10 miles from my house) and got out of the car to check and see what was wrong (expecting to kick some snow off). To my dismay, I found 4 out of 5 lug nuts missing from my back driver side tire and 1 missing from the front driver side! I called the dealer who changed my oil (two weeks ago), etc. and they were just as shocked as me. They told me to have it towed to the nearest dealer and they would foot the bill (which they did). In total, 13 out of the 20 lug nuts were damaged or missing. Today I get a follow up call from them to make sure everything went ok and they informed me that when they did the oil change, they did not rotate the tires (by my request). So what we both thought was improperly torqued tires, may not be the actual cause of my almost disaster. Now I'm super paranoid that someone did this to my car on purpose, but I just can't explain it in my head. My car has been fine for months and then all of a sudden 5 lugs go missing and 8 are damaged? Plus, who would take the time to remove 4 lugs from one wheel and 1 from another??? I guess people will do anything. I've very upset about this because I live in a nicer area and now I'm never going to be able to not be paranoid about my wheels. Ugh. Anyway, on to my question. I'm looking into locking lug nuts for a little added security and peace of mind. I know they won't keep my lugs from falling off, but at least I'll be able to narrow down the cause if this were to happen again. I'm looking for a set where all 5 lugs lock with the same key. Does the even exist? All I've been able to find is 4 normal lugs and one that requires a key. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can get ones from autozone or advance or online that have a key to all yes. They are usually have a key that goes in the middle(they are open ended) you just need to make sure you get a good set with the same seat as your wheels (most wheels have a 60* conical taper) also make sure you get good quality lugs and key. Steel is best Imo I have had many buddy's get the cnc aluminum that stripped out when torqued. You can also find some lugs that are just an off size like 17.5mm with a key to match. A lot of options. What do you like? Any ones you may have seen on other cars ect? Also our lugs are m12x1.5

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get ones from autozone or advance or online that have a key to all yes. They are usually have a key that goes in the middle(they are open ended) you just need to make sure you get a good set with the same seat as your wheels (most wheels have a 60* conical taper) also make sure you get good quality lugs and key. Steel is best Imo I have had many buddy's get the cnc aluminum that stripped out when torqued. You can also find some lugs that are just an off size like 17.5mm with a key to match. A lot of options. What do you like? Any ones you may have seen on other cars ect? Also our lugs are m12x1.5

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Would I be correct to assume that our actual lug nuts are "acorn" style?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
All locking lug kits are single keyed adaptor.
No question about it it though since the dealer hasn't touched the lugs......somebody is messin with your ride......either to cause you harm or boost the rims.

Get the locks.....Your Chevy dealer has a kit as well.

Rob

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with Gorilla locks (The System). Hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks for all the input.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
To me, this has "dealership service tech rotated tires anyway and forgot to tighten" all over it.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ
1 - 8 of 8 Posts