Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly ramping up my new to me car search in the < 10g range. Would like to buy in the next few months. I've pretty much settled on a 1LT RS for a bit of style but still respectable mpg (compared with the eco) Im wondering if the types of commutes would be enough to allow the 6mt to fully excel in the mpg dept or if Id be just as well off with the auto? Plus, Im finding it difficult to find manuals w/in a reasonable distance in my color preference( 1. Autumn metallic, 2. Blue topaz, last resort one of the red's)
My current commute is 20.5miles one way. 10mi @55, [email protected] w/1 light, then the remaining 7.5 back @ 55 with 3 turns in last mile or so.
I'm hoping a rumor of a better job opening comes true(and i get it) though that wouldn't be til mid/late summer which would be 33miles 1way. 10mi @55, 6 @ 35 with a couple lights, then the remaining 17 back @ 55 with few midsize hills and 2 lights.
In the warmer weather I typically see 17.5mpg/tank with my Dmax and current commute. I'd like to double that (35-38mpg/tank) to be entirely happy.
Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,985 Posts
Yes, I think you'd be just fine with the LT manual for that commute. I think you'd be able to do mid-30's with no problem...my 2012 had a 33 MPG lifetime average with a heavy city driving bias.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just bought a 2012 1LT RS 6sp last month. My commute is about half of yours with ~5mi at 55mph. I have been getting low to mid 30s mpg in that short distance. I keep my reves real low... as in 2k or less. It will really depend on your driving style.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bought a 2012 1LT RS 6sp last month. My commute is about half of yours with ~5mi at 55mph. I have been getting low to mid 30s mpg in that short distance. I keep my reves real low... as in 2k or less. It will really depend on your driving style.
Yea, I've been reading a bunch of threads that talked about paying attention to rpms can help out the mpg. Makes sense, i drive a semi @ 107-117,000lbs and can consistently get .5-1mpg better than the other drivers just by the way I shift and coast to lights/stops.

Yes, I think you'd be just fine with the LT manual for that commute. I think you'd be able to do mid-30's with no problem...my 2012 had a 33 MPG lifetime average with a heavy city driving bias.
Thanks. I've never had a car before nor paid much attention to mpgs in the past as I need a truck for work in the past and the mileage was the mileage. So I wasnt sure if this distance would still give the manual an advantage.

·
2,168 Posts
I've been logging every drop of fuel since I bought my 6MT 1LT Cruze. I've averaged 32.5MPG over the lifetime and I'm extremely satisfied with that number since I have a very heavy foot and do not drive with efficiency in mind. The one tank I really concentrated on I was able to squeeze out 48.4MPG and managed just shy of 720 miles without refueling.

I do not regret going with the LT over the Eco considering the money I saved up front. I personally like the closer gear ratios (I actually wish they were closer with the exception of 6th) and I like the comfort of having a spare tire.

Feel free to look through my fuel log. I've been tracking every drop of gas since I bought my Cruze.
Chevrasaki's Profile | Fuelly

Note: I use 93 octane fuel from Shell, Exxon, and BP the majority of the time. Sometimes in the winter when I know I'm going to drive on the interstate for long distances and burn a lot of fuel, I'll top off with about half a tank of 87. I put which fuel I used in the notes on fuelly.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 LT 6MT averages 34-35 going to town (5 miles each way with several stop lights.) Long trips get 38+ with regular 87 octane. The Cruze manual is the smoothest shifting MT I have ever owned and I have owned many, starting with 3 in the tree Chevy 6 cylinders and small V8's, an International Traveller 3 MT on the floor, a Malibu 4 MT, a Suburban 2wd 350 auto, a Celebrity Wagon 4 cylinder 4 MT, two Chevy Prizm 4 MT, one Prizm 3 sp auto, one Vibe auto and one Vibe 5MT, a Corolla 5 MT, and the Cruze 6 MT. Have always preferred the control and the fun factor of the manuals over the "slush". The only times I regretted having a MT was stuck in traffic for hours on the GWashington bridge or in the Central Artery in Boston. As I live in Maine, traffic jams are really no concern, but if I lived in a metro area I know I would feel differently. Rented a new Corolla on a trip with the CVT and it was pathetic really. Not a fan of CVTs, I know I know they are "more efficient". Where has the fun gone from driving and the connection with the road. No wonder people are crossing the center line and killing themselves and others. They are bored to sleep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts