Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need any tips/advice for hills, so far I have those small hills where you can speed up a little bit to coast up on the next hill. I have ones that start from a little hill to a very long stretched out one, so am I better off just powering up it? or coast half way then power up it? Another question is, does anyone put the Diesel in neutral while coasting then put it back into drive? sometimes I do it and the rpm's take forever to resettle out where you feel the cruse kick back into drive otherwise your sitting there giving gas waiting for the engine to hiccup.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Stay in gear and let the Cruze's DFCO work for you. I suspect if you put the car in M mode for the highest gear that will keep you above 1500 RPM will result in the best fuel economy. This is based on my testing in my ECO MT.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I live in a hilly area and deal with them daily. It really depends on the hill and traiffc how I go up them. The very best way if there is no traffic is to start out fast(uses less energy accelerating in the flats before the hill), then with a light foot proceed up the hill. All the way up I will be loosing some speed, I shoot for 1MPH around every 100-200ft of road traveled. By the top of the hill I might be down to 45mph(I try to stay in 6th gear if possible), but since this car has no compression braking to speak of I gain back all my speed on the back side with my foot off the pedal using DFCO.

Rolling hills are the best, I just use a light foot and again loose like 5mph up and keep my foot the same and gain back everything on the back side. Rolling hills the cruise control will try to DFCO down the back side so the car is constantly going from 14MPG up the hill to 99 for a few seconds down. With a light foot you can read a constant 40-60mpg in rolling hills, gaining MPG your entire route.

Only reason I would ever use neutral is if I knew I needed to cost the rest of a city block without the car downshifting and slowing me down. Otherwise I leave my car in gear so I can utilize DFCO(deceleration fuel cut off) when off the gas.

Only thing you can do with most hills when traffic is around is to find the lowest speed you car can make it up the hill without needing to downshift out of 6th gear. This really depends on the hill. Most of the time with traffic I just set my cruise at 60mph(in a 55mph zone) to get over the hill as fast as possible.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
I would be uncomfortable dropping an automatic back into drive from neutral. They just really don't seem to like it - lots of parts have to go from a rest to moving at 2000+ RPM in a second or so. Can't imagine it's very good for the longevity of the transmission.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I would be uncomfortable dropping an automatic back into drive from neutral. They just really don't seem to like it - lots of parts have to go from a rest to moving at 2000+ RPM in a second or so. Can't imagine it's very good for the longevity of the transmission.
Na, its doesn't hurt a thing. No clunkyness like the neutral at intersections/stop signs. I have used neutral at any speed in all my automatic cars & have never had a transmission failure. The cruze gas/auto is smooth as butter going to and from neutral at any speed.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
I have a bunch of hills in my town and when I begin climb one, I put it in 4th Gear and set the Cruise Control at 32 MPH which will put the RPMs at just a hair over 1500 on an ECO manual.

My instant MPG meter will show anywhere in the 40's or even higher unless it is a really steep hill.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I'm similar to spacedout method.. leave it in gear , cruise set on the posted limit , increase speed going down with the pedal and let off slowly going up until the cruise takes over and minus the cruise every ever couple of seconds .. If the hill is too big you'll have to stop decelerating and hold your speed so you don't interfere with any body behind you

·
10,713 Posts
Multiple hills I get a running start and ease back throttle in 4th on the way up. On the way down I speed up using gravity to help me coast up the next hill. Long downwards like PA turnpike I stay in 6th and accel a little bit when I need to go around the slower cars. Does braking affect DFCO.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I too have a very hilly commute. It is hard to do side-by-side test runs because of all the variables, temp, wind, fuel load, etc., but I haven't figured out a way not to loose mpg's. Watching the instant mpg is very frustrating while going up hills, but putting it in neutral and coasting down hill puts a smile on my face. I have found that putting it back in drive a few seconds before the road goes back up allows the tcm time to re-engage the Trans and make for a smoother transition.

-Brad

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
...continued
I haven't done enough research to find out about long term damage of going back to drive after coasting in neutral.
I agree with gaining speed on the flats or downhills and loosing some speed on the climbs as being the logical answer to conserving fuel.
The DFCO is very effective on the diesel, almost to effective at times. Loosing speed going downhill just doesn't make since to me though. I am going to continue to use neutral until I find real evidence of damage.

-Brad

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Your transmission will not let you do anything that will cause damage, haven't you ever seen the shift denied message in manual mode?

Driving a rental cruze one day(1.4T auto) I put the car into park while moving at 5mph, however park did not engage. I had to shift back into gear then Park while stopped for it to work. I can assume shifting to reverse while moving or anything else that would cause damage would electronically be stopped as well.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Your transmission will not let you do anything that will cause damage, haven't you ever seen the shift denied message in manual mode?

Driving a rental cruze one day(1.4T auto) I put the car into park while moving at 5mph, however park did not engage. I had to shift back into gear then Park while stopped for it to work. I can assume shifting to reverse while moving or anything else that would cause damage would electronically be stopped as well.
Drive by wire saves yet another transmission. :)

·
10,713 Posts

Lol we found that guy who pays the rental car insurance because he is gonna tear it up 4 sho!

Newer cars will just light up the reverse lights and pretty much stay in neutral when you do that. On a manual, you can get the shifter near the gate to light up reverse while going foreword. That's as adventurous as I got with that, not gonna see if it goes in or just grind. I can't even get into 1st slowing to a stop sign till about 3 mph. On the M35 cargo truck reverse is where our 1st gear is, it won't let you go into gear the few times I tried to go into "1st" on a California roll.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the late reply, thanks for all the input, I will try this out later today when I have to go out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts