Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the dreaded Low Quality DEF light last night, and I've got an 800 mile round trip scheduled tomorrow that I can't miss. I've had it once before, and the light cleared itself on the freeway. I've driven 50 miles with the light on, even downshifting to get the RPMs high to burn off whatever crud is on the sensors (as instructed by many other related posts), but it's still on. What are my options at this point? My only thoughts are to take off as planned tomorrow, and hope that some serious freeway time will fix it (I live on an Army base, so the car rarely sees the freeway :( ), or if it doesn't fix itself like it has in the past, drop it off at a dealership on the way there and pray they give me a loaner so I can keep rolling.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw your post last night... Do you know what happens if you hit that 65 mph limit? Will it drop it down to 55 mph after another 50 miles or something stupid like that?

I'm definitely tearing this crap off the motor once the warranty is up. My mileage is at 46k.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
This sounds like the third one in a week with this issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
I saw your post last night... Do you know what happens if you hit that 65 mph limit? Will it drop it down to 55 mph after another 50 miles or something stupid like that?

I'm definitely tearing this crap off the motor once the warranty is up. My mileage is at 46k.
Yeah, it starts the countdown of death until your limited to 5 mph or something like that.

I did have an occurence once almost three years ago when I got the countdown and my service advisor told me to drive it in the highway. I did and 30 minutes later it cleared itself and never came back.

I tried to find my posts about it but no joy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'll give her the old college (or Army?) try, and see if it'll fix itself. Hopefully the dealership will give me a Camaro for a loaner if it comes to that :)

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Well, I'll give her the old college (or Army?) try, and see if it'll fix itself. Hopefully the dealership will give me a Camaro for a loaner if it comes to that :)
Go Army!

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,012 Posts
Can you give any info about the age, amount, and source of the DEF in the tank? If it's nearing a year old, if it came from a sketchy source, like being stored in an above-ground bulk tank, etc. it could actually be losing quality, since it does have a shelf-life. Sun, heat, and time all take their toll on the potency of the DEF. So, if you have some room in the tank, topping off your DEF might raise the quality enough to get you through your road trip. If topping up does fix your problem, I'd probably suck out the tank and refill with fresh after your road trip. If topping off doesn't fix the problem, even though you added 2 gallons or more, then I would suspect you are dealing with a clogged nozzle or a problem with your NOX2 sensor causing a false reading.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The DEF in the tank was added by me this spring/summer (I've put on about 10k miles since March). I think it's Peak or some other major brand, but it does experience quite a nasty heat cycle due to the Louisiana heat. I added 2.5 gallons last night from a bottle I've had in the trunk for a few weeks (I typically carry an extra bottle in the tank), so now it's full.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,012 Posts
Do you happen to have a siphon pump around the garage? If you want to take a swing at an inexpensive fix that might have a shot at getting you on the road and keeping you there without the need for a visit to the dealer, you could suck the tank out, buy some fresh DEF at an open parts store or truck stop, and see if the message goes away. It seems like your DEF should be fine based on what you describe, but at a risk of less than $20 worth of fluid, it could be worth it, just in case there is an irregularity with your fluid, if it gets your road trip back on track and saves you a trip to the dealer. If you're a DIY type, and exchanging the fluid doesn't correct your problem, I'd say your next step is to pull the DEF injector, inspect for clogs, and clean.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are great ideas... As a civilian I would have already done so, but as a soldier living in the barracks, it's a bit impossible to perform anything other than routine maintenance that's planned weeks in advance. There are dealerships all along the early part of my journey, and since it's most likely a warranty issue, I'm hoping that they'll oblige with a loaner to keep me on my way in the event that it doesn't fix itself.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Those are great ideas... As a civilian I would have already done so, but as a soldier living in the barracks, it's a bit impossible to perform anything other than routine maintenance that's planned weeks in advance. There are dealerships all along the early part of my journey, and since it's most likely a warranty issue, I'm hoping that they'll oblige with a loaner to keep me on my way in the event that it doesn't fix itself.
Keep us posted on what you decide to do and how your trip goes. Do you have a code reader to clear the code before you get on the highway?

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did indeed clear the code with my Torque app, it was the same P20ee code I've gotten before. Sure enough, 10 minutes on the freeway (with only 30 miles until the 65 mph limit), and the faulty def fluid light went off. I think I'll schedule an appointment with the local dealership and see if they can prevent it from happening again.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I did indeed clear the code with my Torque app, it was the same P20ee code I've gotten before. Sure enough, 10 minutes on the freeway (with only 30 miles until the 65 mph limit), and the faulty def fluid light went off. I think I'll schedule an appointment with the local dealership and see if they can prevent it from happening again.
Did you end up continuing the trip?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did continue the trip, no issues. Should easily surpass the 800 mile mark on one tank of fuel, too :). Thanks for all the advice, fellas.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I did continue the trip, no issues. Should easily surpass the 800 mile mark on one tank of fuel, too :). Thanks for all the advice, fellas.
Excellent! Let us know what the dealer says when you get around to taking it in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got around to taking the car into the dealership 2 weeks ago. The replaced the first NOx sensor under recall, and reported that it was quite soot-covered. Unless they did something to prevent it from becoming sooty again, this likely will be a reoccurring issue, but for now, everything seems to be running perfectly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Annnnnnd yesterday the old "Yucky DPF Change Now Or Else" light came back on. No code was thrown, and after 40 miles of freeway driving, it's gone. I'm considering just leaving it as is until the warranty expires in another 50,000 miles, and gutting the emissions controls. The dealership said they couldn't find a code (which I find hard to believe, knowing that most\all codes are stored long after they're cleared with cheaper OBD2 interface like I used), so unless I can find a dealership willing to work at it under warranty, I think I'll leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Annnnnnd yesterday the old "Yucky DPF Change Now Or Else" light came back on. No code was thrown, and after 40 miles of freeway driving, it's gone. I'm considering just leaving it as is until the warranty expires in another 50,000 miles, and gutting the emissions controls. The dealership said they couldn't find a code (which I find hard to believe, knowing that most\all codes are stored long after they're cleared with cheaper OBD2 interface like I used), so unless I can find a dealership willing to work at it under warranty, I think I'll leave it alone.
My dealership was able to diagnose the DEF heater element without a CEL. Mybe yours can reach out to GM TAC for assistance? IT would be covered under the special coverage warranty in your case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts