Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to show yet but I'll get this thing started. More to come after christmas

first off I tinted the sunroof for heat rejection with a ceramic film and the brow. Will redo the original tint job down the road

as for things you can take a look at now, I tinted the taillights with oracal 8300 dark grey vinyl. As I was working it occurred to me I am on window tint and so on groups and forums.... I see how this is done quite often but you all may not so I took some pictures of what the process/progress of applying such a film looks like. Not exactly the easiest thing to do but the results are awesome

Started with the lid lights, done

and the the other with the white trimmed out (makes the white whiter and the black really pop)
(sorry about the water drops, should have wiped it off first)

Then the crazy corners

Other corner the following morning

and all together

also knocked out the calipers and tinted the front side markers as well

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Nicely done

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
I assume you cut the tint while on the tails based on the pictures taken. What did you use to cut them out? And do you have any remaining cuts in the surface of the lense as a result?

·
10,713 Posts
I assume you cut the tint while on the tails based on the pictures taken. What did you use to cut them out? And do you have any remaining cuts in the surface of the lense as a result?
You can run your fingernail over the clear/red plastic parts so there isn't need to cut deeper than that ridge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About an hour per corner and 30 min a piece for the lids. Front markers were 5 minutes a piece.

My uncle took care of the calipers while I tinted a car of his

as for cutting out the reverse lights I used an olfa knife. Just enough pressure to cut the film. IF there are cut marks they are small and right on the border between white and red. Not too concerned about it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think not just because you need them held in place while you pull and stretch the vinyl and apply the pressure to adhere it in place

·
Resident Derp
2,806 Posts
For the sides did you start on the rear facing side, then stretch around to the side of the car, and finally the top; or side first, then rear, then top?

Just trying to figure out what the best way to approach doing this since I like the look so much I'll be ordering the film soon.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Looks amazing...

But those exhaust tips... anyway to cut and put wider tips or hide em

-I'm mobile-

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started on the side, anchored it and wrapped to the back. Then worked from the corner up and out and then down. It is not really a DIY project, working this film takes patience and practice but if you need help let me know.

tips idk... They don't look to awful in person and actually sound really good.... But I havnt had much time with the car yet, it's been go go go since I got it between tinting and storm work restoring power in Washington IL

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
99% of the parts for the full build will be in by wed-Thursday this week. Install this weekend. Lots of cool stuff going on. A few surprises and things that may spark ideas for some of the rest of you. A few additions that are mentioned on the site already as well.

hopefully I can get it all done this weekend

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3M 1080 scotchprint done

filled the useless cubby with switches for future use (still going to keep it a surprise)

got the remote start wired up. Not the prettiest thing ever but it's nicely tucked away.... There is so little room under this cars dash

shallow 10" mounted and wired, turns out I need to flip it to rear facing cause I'm getting a dead zone at the front head rests

Big 3 in red 4ga done, except the engine ground cause I don't know the bolt size I need yet. Here's the alternator shot

and a few fun shots of a car missing parts

also I think my dad gouged my leather steering wheel. Any one know where to get one for under $140 like I found on eBay?

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
3M 1080 scotchprint done

filled the useless cubby with switches for future use (still going to keep it a surprise)

got the remote start wired up. Not the prettiest thing ever but it's nicely tucked away.... There is so little room under this cars dash

shallow 10" mounted and wired, turns out I need to flip it to rear facing cause I'm getting a dead zone at the front head rests

Big 3 in red 4ga done, except the engine ground cause I don't know the bolt size I need yet. Here's the alternator shot

and a few fun shots of a car missing parts

also I think my dad gouged my leather steering wheel. Any one know where to get one for under $140 like I found on eBay?
Check the how to cruise control thread, there's a website that sells steering wheels with light blemishes. Some say they're in perfect condition.

So what's the switches for? Hidden rocket launchers or NAUSSSS!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I see em on ebay all the time for under $80 shipped

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Lots of tear down and refinishing . Looks like it all reassembled well ..
3 M worked out well also .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry **** I missed your question. 2 of the switches are still going to be left a surprise for a future install.

the other switch will be covered in my next post

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Prepping some LEDs for under dash, under rear seats, and possibly the trunk as well.

if anyone would like some I can make them custom length for you and ship enough of them for all your needs for the same or less than the ones at autozone. If there is interest I could do some sample pictures of what the illumination of different lengths look like

1 - 20 of 21 Posts