Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my best to search the site, but am posting for advice. Local dealer has a 2013 Cruze ECO, Manual, at 35K miles for ~ $12,000. In doing research on the Cruze, most of what I can find is reviews of the 2013 when it was new; I haven't found much on how the 2013 has fared/held up. So, I'm wondering, can you point me to any resources on that or provide your own feedback on the 2013 Cruze ECO? Will be primarily used as a secondary commuter car for the family. We have 4 kids so it will most always be full.

Anything I need to watch for mechanically (all recalls have been completed)?
Is it too small for consistently having 5 people in it (kids are 11, 8, 6, & 5)?
Would you recommend this car at this price (assuming it is in very good condition)?
Would you recommend a different car for those in my situation? I've been looking at the Malibu and Ford Fusion as well. Would like a newer car for < $15,000.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I apologize if my searching skills are inadequate.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Honestly, for kids - go with the bigger car. I would look at the Fusion over a Malibu (avoid the 1.6 turbo; other engines are solid). You'll soon probably find the Cruze is too small for your needs.

Mechanically, the same issues occur over and over - water pumps and valve covers need to be replaced on 1.4L engines. Both are covered under power train or extended warranties. Otherwise, they're generally pretty solid aside from the buggy MyLink systems.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I think the price is a little high in addition I agree with Blackburn, I would get a larger car. The back seat legroom in the Cruze is too small for older children. I have had two cruzes, 14 eco manual and 15 ctd, I have had one person for about 5 min ride in back seat one time. I love my Cruze but I don't want to ride in the back seat for ANY length of time.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Honestly, for kids - go with the bigger car.
The kids won't stay small forever, and the back seat of the Gen1 Cruze just doesn't have much of any leg space (depending on how far back the front seats are). Otherwise, the Cruze is pretty good.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I think the car is too small for you.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I also think a compact car is too small for your situation. I'd say you're into the minivan, or small crossover class. But if you're still interested in a 2013 Cruze, here's a site that might help you pick through the information. This has NHTSA links and information also. It works for all other cars also.

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Problems, Defects & Complaints

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all (and thanks Jim for the link). We do have a minivan, but were looking for something smaller for a second car. I'll give the Fusion another look!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm going the opposite direction. I've got a La Crosse, and in all reality, other than a few inches of leg room in the back seat, seating is nearly identical carting my 10 and 12 year old and their buddies around, and the La Crosse is quite a bit larger car (as big as malibu or fusion).
If you are cruzing the kids (pun intended) around town, to soccer or wrestling practice (yes, all kids should wrestle, even girls) then three in the back with the 11 year old in front will be perfectly fine, and will stay that way for at least a few years. 3 big adults in back, not good, but three active tweens/teens or thin/fit adults, yeah no problem. And better mileage. The cruze is really a perfect hand-me-down type of car when the 11 y.o. starts to drive. Learning to drive a manual is a really important thing IMO.
As for price...$13K is too high. Tell him you will spend $11,500 and not a dime more including any and all tax and fees. If he says no, tell him "Call me when you want to sell, my price won't change." Used cars are everywhere you are in the drivers seat (also intended) ;).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.