Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hang my DroidX on the windshield next to the drivers door and use the USB for both charging the phone and connecting to the audio system. Is there a USB port under the dash or elswhere besides the center console/arm rest?:th_coolio:

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I want to hang my DroidX on the windshield next to the drivers door and use the USB for both charging the phone and connecting to the audio system. Is there a USB port under the dash or elswhere besides the center console/arm rest?:th_coolio:
Don't think so, at least I have not seen documentation that says there is another USB port behind the dash. I'd say run a cable from the port in the console under the console and behind the dash to where you want to hang your phone.

·
Resident Secret Lover
2,217 Posts
It barely charges my GS2, and audio doesnt work through usb like my iphone 4 did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Bionic requires a special USB cable from Motorola that sends the audio through through USB. Works great. I wish the music would play through the Bluetooth like it does in my ML320.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Nexus One and it won't charge in my Cruze. At least it won't charge while running a map app on the phone anyway. I've tried using the built-in USB port in the car and also with two different adapters in the cig port.
I just purchased an S3. Seems to be the same so far. Charges alright if nothing running on the phone. Turn on the map and it doesn't charge. I'll continue to test it with the Galaxy as I just got the phone a couple days ago.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
It only puts out 500mA, which might not be enough to charge new-fangled devices. Most chargers put out between 1000-2000mA these days.

If I have Waze and Pandora open on my iPhone 4, even after a 4 hour car ride, I'll find that it's only charged like 5% or so.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
It only puts out 500mA, which might not be enough to charge new-fangled devices. Most chargers put out between 1000-2000mA these days.

If I have Waze and Pandora open on my iPhone 4, even after a 4 hour car ride, I'll find that it's only charged like 5% or so.
You are correct, unless you plan on driving forever, it isn't worth it. IRRC iPhone only plays music through USB because it's a special cable. Don't think any droids do that right now. My S3 certainly doesnt. In fact, the Cruze can't even see my S3 so I can't even listen to MP3s.

FYI: Don't buy a Galaxy S3!

edit: you could wire up a specific USB just for power (a la the wall to USB chargers)

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
You'd be better off installing the Bluetooth PDIM and running power from the front power outlet. The USB port on the cruze is underpowered. Use bluetooth to listen to your droid.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,610 Posts
You are correct, unless you plan on driving forever, it isn't worth it. IRRC iPhone only plays music through USB because it's a special cable. Don't think any droids do that right now. My S3 certainly doesnt. In fact, the Cruze can't even see my S3 so I can't even listen to MP3s.

FYI: Don't buy a Galaxy S3!
It works fine to charge [the iPhone] a few % on quick trips if you've got the screen off and no processor-intensive apps or GPS running.

Unfortunately, the 2011-2012 Cruzen don't have Bluetooth audio, which I'd love to have...it's pretty awesome to get in our Camry and have it automatically start streaming audio from our phones without having to plug anything in. That's an upgrade you can do the the Cruze (obermd did it), and I will be doing it once I have some spare money floating around, but it still doesn't seem as simple to activate as Toyota's system.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
It works fine to charge [the iPhone] a few % on quick trips if you've got the screen off and no processor-intensive apps or GPS running.

Unfortunately, the 2011-2012 Cruzen don't have Bluetooth audio, which I'd love to have...it's pretty awesome to get in our Camry and have it automatically start streaming audio from our phones without having to plug anything in. That's an upgrade you can do the the Cruze (obermd did it), and I will be doing it once I have some spare money floating around, but it still doesn't seem as simple to activate as Toyota's system.
The PDIM is $85 at Amazon and it takes about 45 minutes to install.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most droid phones done play music through the usb is because of the software. From what I have found on different android forums this is to be corrected with jelly bean. If that will ever come to the S3.

If someone would be able to clarify this that would be helpful. My recolection on this might not be 100%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
The problem with android is that you store your music on the "external" memory card. When you plug in the USB port the OS doesn't allow you to use the external memory for the phone while charging. Even the old slow Windows CE based phones weren't braindead on their USB ports.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
The problem with android is that you store your music on the "external" memory card. When you plug in the USB port the OS doesn't allow you to use the external memory for the phone while charging. Even the old slow Windows CE based phones weren't braindead on their USB ports.
This is incorrect. You can't use the phone to do anything that requires access to the card (like taking pictures) while the phone is being used as a mass storage device. My HTC EVO has an 8GB memory card and I could charge it while I was listening to MP3's in the car. The problem with this S3 is that is has internal phone memory AND an external card so it doesn't act like a single mass storage device and the cruze doesn't know what to do.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since the title of this post is, get a notebook computer for your car.
[h=2]Looking for additional USB ports "[/h]My Motorola Electrify works fine with a bluetooth connection to the Cruze's radio, and a 12 buck Sandisk Cruzer 16GB USB flash drive plugged into the single USB port, on sticks up about a 1/4". When I want to make a call or a call comes in, radio switches off the MP3's and gives the phone priority. No cables laying all over the place.

If I need to charge my phone, just use a 12V cord, but have to set the phone for battery charge only, otherwise nothing works on it. On found that on page 968 of the operators manual. These darn things.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
This is incorrect. You can't use the phone to do anything that requires access to the card (like taking pictures) while the phone is being used as a mass storage device. My HTC EVO has an 8GB memory card and I could charge it while I was listening to MP3's in the car. The problem with this S3 is that is has internal phone memory AND an external card so it doesn't act like a single mass storage device and the cruze doesn't know what to do.
This is a design flaw in Android, not the Cruze. Android simply doesn't have the ability to share the external memory card between the usb/data port and the device itself. Plug you phone into your PC and you'll see the same symptoms - the phone cannot access the external memory card at the same time as the PC. On Androids that have relative small main memory sizes, the external memory card is critical. I installed a 32GB card because of the small main memory in my phone. Music and Google Voice are both on the card. This means an Android phone cannot provide voice navigation while the car is playing music via the USB port. My solution was to use the phone's music player and plug it into the 3mm jack until I installed the bluetooth PDIM.

As I previously stated, Microsoft Windows CE did this properly. It makes me wonder if Microsoft holds a patent on this that they refused to allow Google to license or if Google simply didn't think anything developed by Microsoft that made the phone more user friendly was worth implementing. I suspect the latter given how many of Microsoft's competitors used to view Microsoft products. Remember, the initial design and development for Android occurred while most of the consumer tech industry during the "Microsoft doesn't innovate; Microsoft steals ideas" mantra phase of the Unix/Linux community, which meant any technology coming out of Redmond was automatically suspect. (Microsoft didn't help their cause either with their attitude at the time towards Unix/Linux.)

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
This is a design flaw in Android, not the Cruze.
I wasn't implying it was an issue with the Cruze, it's an issue with either the Samsung S3 hardware/OS or with Android 4 itself. My previous droid phones worked just fine.

Android simply doesn't have the ability to share the external memory card between the usb/data port and the device itself. Plug you phone into your PC and you'll see the same symptoms - the phone cannot access the external memory card at the same time as the PC.
What phone do you have because I've had many droids. If the phone was in charge mode then you could access the memory from the phone (even if it was charging from USB). when the phone was in mass storage device mode, you could not but the phone would still charge and you could access the memory from the cruze (or another consumer).

Again I'm not sure if it's the hardware or Android 4, but the way it handles it now I have no options to select mass storage mode or charge only. I have to use the stereo jack and control it with my phone :mad:

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
On the philosophical side of this thread, only way I could collect my thoughts and regain my sanity was to go for a long drive.

With all this electronic crap, can't even do that anymore, brains are like scrambled eggs even with not taking drugs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts