Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 1LT Cruzzr has 1200 miles on it and i will be leaving on a 2000 mile round trip. Should i change the factory oil before i go or leave it in till i get back. The OLM shows 78% life left. It will end up with around 3200 miles on it when the trip is done.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
No reason, any wear metals in the oil will help break in the motor faster. also since the engine is so new the fresh oil will contaminate with wear metals quickly again making the change pointless.

I have about 12500 on my cruze, plan to also do a a trip for thanksgiving. Think my drive is around 2500-3000 round trip. On my way backfrom texas I plan to take the Kansas Turnpike, guess I will get to see what cold weather & 78-82mph does to my MPG.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Change it when you get back, no point in doing the first change yet :)

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Your choice. I'd change it to a full synthetic oil myself since these engines beat the snot out of the factory fill. The only way to run the OLM to even 20% safely is to run a full synthetic oil.

Would you be doing this yourself, or having a shop do it?

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Change it when you get back. I did my first one at right around 3,000. The engine has done MOST of its breaking-in by that point.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I'd change it and then again at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your choice. I'd change it to a full synthetic oil myself since these engines beat the snot out of the factory fill. The only way to run the OLM to even 20% safely is to run a full synthetic oil.

Would you be doing this yourself, or having a shop do it?
I do all my oil changes myself, already picked up a filter. I will go full synthetic Amsoil when i do the change. I just dont want to do it too soon having only 1200 miles on it. I will probably change it around the time i return from the trip and see if all goes well.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Enjoy the trip! And, good on using Amsoil in your LT. The 1.4T really does need synthetic oil to run the OLM down to 20%. Oil analyses I and several others have done on full synthetic dexos1 oils have shown them to be pretty much done by 20% on the OLM.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
My first oil change was at 1500 miles. Went with Mobil One. Changed again at 8000 miles with Mobil One. At 15000 miles I will be changing to Royal Purple.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
My first oil change was at 1500 miles. Went with Mobil One. Changed again at 8000 miles with Mobil One. At 15000 miles I will be changing to Royal Purple.
Y the switch

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mobil one is not a true synthetic anymore. It's base is dinosaur based not synthetic based now. Plus, the royal purple is good stuff. Pricey, but good stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts