Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found multiple posts but not any exact SOP notes on the task. I've learned this from previous posts:

- Trans fluid temp needs to be around 175-190F
- When removing the drain plug, just over 4-quarts should drain
- You'll probably want to repeat within 5000 miles
- Use this fluid: Dextron VI

Can anyone point me to a good write up?

·
2,170 Posts
Hello! Welcome to CruzeTalk! You've come to the right place for information about your Cruze. I believe this may be the thread you are looking for.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/129-...5-how-automatic-transmission-fluid-flush.html

Side Note: Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm very worried about Ferris... but I'm more worried about Cameron. "If anyone needs a day off, it's Cameron. He has a lot of things to sort out before he graduates. Can't be wound up this tight and go to college, his roommate will kill him."

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

I've done the drain/fill fluid exchange routine before, but not yet with my Cruze. The thing with a drain/fill is you can't replace all the old fluid at once so you need to do it in stages to at least have mostly fresh fluid in the transmission. If you're doing a fluid change using this method, I doubt you're going to want to wait 5k miles to do another drain/fill. The reason being is that it will take you 20k miles to drain it 4x and the outgoing fluid really won't be all that good. At that point, you only would have another 30k before you'd go through the whole thing all over again. You might consider shortening the interval between drain/fills to perhaps a week because then at the end of that evolution you'll have mostly very fresh fluid in there and probably something like another 40k miles or so before you have to change the fluid again.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have done it twice with my little Cruze already. Drain the fluid, (4.5 quarts will drain out), added 4.5 quarts fresh. Then drive it. I drove mine a couple of hundred miles, then drain again, 4.5 quarts came out, 4.5 quarts back in. I have drained and filled mine twice this way and have never had any issues. Will be doing it again soon. I do this every 30k miles, and it takes about 15 minutes. No tranny issues, and I see no need to follow the exact procedure. My dad is a recently retired GM mechanic, (45 years working at a Chevy dealership), stated that the way I have done it is just fine, and is probably overkill. He said that if you run it to 80-100k without replacing the fluid, then he would seriously consider doing it by the book, but if you are going to replace the fluid every 30-40k, the way I have stated, should be more than sufficient for long tranny life. Everyone has their opinions, this is mine, and has been working great for me. Cost each time I do this is less than $50 for the fluid.

·
Administrator
15,757 Posts
I've found multiple posts but not any exact SOP notes on the task. I've learned this from previous posts:

- Trans fluid temp needs to be around 175-190F
- When removing the drain plug, just over 4-quarts should drain
- You'll probably want to repeat within 5000 miles
- Use this fluid: Dextron VI

Can anyone point me to a good write up?
It's 185-203F is what the trans fluid temp needs to be, when removing the level plug to ensure the transmission is at the correct level.
Dexron VI is a specification, not a fluid. Find a lubricant that meets or exceeds that specification, preferably a synthetic.
50 miles is well more than enough to get the fluid circulated enough to do the second drain and fill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the info, everyone. I was going to purchase AC Delco VI fluid.

I purchased an ODB bluetooth reader and have not been able to get the trans up to temperature; even driving 40 miles home from work; I'm guessing when it warms up outside, we should be good. To confirm, I would get it up to temp, take the sight plug out (Should any pour out?), and continue to take the drain plug out. Around 4.5 quarts should drain. Replace plugs and fill with the same amount of fluid that you drained. Should I remove the sight plug while filling to eliminate the chance of overfilling?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Doing it the way I stated, I do not remove the sight plug at all. If you add back what you remove, there is no need to remove it. As stated, I have done this 4 times on my Cruze already, and have not had any issues at all. I tested it the first time with sight plug and there were no issues. Only time I would use sight plug would be if I had flushed the tranny completely empty and had to refill. All 4 times I have drained the tranny, exactly 4.5 quarts have come out, so that is how much goes back in. You can't over or under fill if you add back what comes out every time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts