Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have done it twice with my little Cruze already. Drain the fluid, (4.5 quarts will drain out), added 4.5 quarts fresh. Then drive it. I drove mine a couple of hundred miles, then drain again, 4.5 quarts came out, 4.5 quarts back in. I have drained and filled mine twice this way and have never had any issues. Will be doing it again soon. I do this every 30k miles, and it takes about 15 minutes. No tranny issues, and I see no need to follow the exact procedure. My dad is a recently retired GM mechanic, (45 years working at a Chevy dealership), stated that the way I have done it is just fine, and is probably overkill. He said that if you run it to 80-100k without replacing the fluid, then he would seriously consider doing it by the book, but if you are going to replace the fluid every 30-40k, the way I have stated, should be more than sufficient for long tranny life. Everyone has their opinions, this is mine, and has been working great for me. Cost each time I do this is less than $50 for the fluid.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Doing it the way I stated, I do not remove the sight plug at all. If you add back what you remove, there is no need to remove it. As stated, I have done this 4 times on my Cruze already, and have not had any issues at all. I tested it the first time with sight plug and there were no issues. Only time I would use sight plug would be if I had flushed the tranny completely empty and had to refill. All 4 times I have drained the tranny, exactly 4.5 quarts have come out, so that is how much goes back in. You can't over or under fill if you add back what comes out every time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.