Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a Chevy Cruze. Looks like I can get a 2011-2012 with around 80-90k miles for $8-9k.

Id like some help figuring out what to look for and what not to get.

Looks like most most have the 1.4L, my concern is the longevity of the turbo.

I do do know the 1.8L has a timing belt, would like to know how difficult they are to change on these cars (I've replaced one on my Camry before).

Transmission issues?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Stay away from the 2011's (model year) and the 1.8 engines (LS). Those have the most problems and the 1.8 engine is not even comparable to the 1.4T.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
the 2011's had poor AT shift performance, 2012 is much better

2011's had issues with the 1.4L potentially having piston problems. Those that have been effected have had significant work that needed to be completed.

1.8L timing belt, yea it's due at 95,000 miles. Water pump is external at least, but how much work to replace one. I don't know.

1.4L turbo, depends on oil change history. I'd steer clear of a rental return with high miles as sometimes they really extend oil change intervals with cheap oil. If you can get service details from GM based on VIN number then maybe it's not that bad.

I'm not in the market to buy used, but it feels like that's too high of mileage to take for $8-9K. I think a 1LS 2016 right now with Automatic Transmission is around $15 after rebates.

Just feels like a lot, but hey maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my 2013 Cruze 2LT in October of 2014 from a Honda dealer and car had 39xxx miles. other than a few recalls from GM which of course were free, I haven't had an ounce of trouble at all. Vehicle was a rental unit from Orlando Florida and was not my first rental purchase. Don't let the horror stories scare you away if you find a good used rental. I keep my Cruze clean, stored I my garage and the maintenance on these cars is not too difficult at all. Wish I could by cars brand new but usually if a car has some miles on it all the bugs have been worked out. I would recommend 2013 or higher. Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
1.4L turbo, depends on oil change history.
This. The turbo isn't terribly forgiving of oil abuse. An insulated oil line appeared at or before 2013 that helped prevent coking. Plus there was a re-program of the Oil Life Monitor at some point - the original didn't have people changing oil often enough.

I guess the 1.8 is "ok", but the 1.4T has a lot more zing to it. There's a reason the 1.8 is only available in lower trims.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The original poster was talking about a Cruze with 80-90,000 miles, not a fresh off lease or off rental car. If your buying from a dealership that's actually providing some type of guarantee even if it's just a 30 day warranty that's one thing. However, I'm guessing that a car with this mileage maybe sold by a independent used car lot.

There's another thread just this week about someone buying a used 1.4L and the check engine light came on right out of the car lot. They were told you have a 5 year/100K mile warranty from GM. The car currently has 98K miles and this warranty expires in June.

The owner went directly to GM to get the service history and found out his car had piston work,exhaust valve work, and a new turbo. I think a lot would agree that this is a lot of work for a Cruze at 98K miles. Now he's stuck with code P1101 I think it is, with a dealership that can't seem to find the issue, with the clock ticking on warranty.

I think maybe there's a possibility that rentals can be ok. But I rent a lot of cars for work, and I've had 5-6 Cruzes. Every one ran hot with low coolant. I thought I was going to blow the radiator fans out on the car rented in Phoenix.

If caught early these fixes don't cause harm, but I think a lot of rental Cruzes were run hard on both oil and not investigating the coolant issues that were problems in 2011 and 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll only buy from a reputable dealership. The one near my house is a Chevy dealer. I would never buy any car from one of those local corner car lots

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'll only buy from a reputable dealership. The one near my house is a Chevy dealer. I would never buy any car from one of those local corner car lots
I bought mine from a Nissan dealer. It's been pretty good. I have no idea why the first owner sold it - might have been transferred or wanted a truck or something. OTOH, those corner lots, I think they're "Straight from the wholesale auction block to you". No idea what you're getting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think I'm interested anymore. I didn't realize how TINY these cars are!

I went to a dealer today and sat in one. I'm only 6'1"-6'2" and I sat in the passenger seat and my knees were shoved into the dash because the seat wasn't scooted all the way back. I then sat behind that seat and my knees were shoved into the back of the seat.

And this his is coming from someone who owned a Beetle for quite a while! It had LOADS more leg room.

My current 2000 Camry is like a limo I guess.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm 6', and I have no problems. But then I'm driving, not sitting in the back seat. Nor do I have back seat passengers. If you need more leg space in the back, check out the Malibu. If you were looking at new, then the "all-new" 2016 Cruze also has more leg space than the Gen 1 Cruze.

·
2,170 Posts
The Cruze is a compact sedan. The Camry is a mid-size sedan. The Cruze competes with the Corolla, the Focus, the Dart, the Civic, and the Sentra. The Camry competes with the Fusion, the Malibu, the Accord, the 200, the Altima etc.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If you can afford it you can get a brand new 2016 Chevy Cruze limited LTZ for about 9,000 more. Chevy is really trying to get rid of the gen1 cruzes and are really putting out some deep discounts right now.

I am pretty tempted myself to get an 2016 limited LTZ for just under 19,000. That is a pretty slick deal for all the bells and whistles you get. With my trade in the payoff for me would probably be two years at most. I am just not super crazy about the front end and the changes they made for 2015 with the day time running lights.

But for the car you are interested in make sure you have a full history of what was done to it and why. If it was a one owner car and the customer traded it in for a deeply discounted Cruze limited or something else then you may be okay.

If you don't have the history I would probably stay clear of it since you don't know if it has been maintained properly. Maintenance is key for any used car.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
the 2011's had poor AT shift performance, 2012 is much better

2011's had issues with the 1.4L potentially having piston problems. Those that have been effected have had significant work that needed to be completed.

1.8L timing belt, yea it's due at 95,000 miles. Water pump is external at least, but how much work to replace one. I don't know.

1.4L turbo, depends on oil change history. I'd steer clear of a rental return with high miles as sometimes they really extend oil change intervals with cheap oil. If you can get service details from GM based on VIN number then maybe it's not that bad.

I'm not in the market to buy used, but it feels like that's too high of mileage to take for $8-9K. I think a 1LS 2016 right now with Automatic Transmission is around $15 after rebates.

Just feels like a lot, but hey maybe I'm wrong.
Didn't the tune take car of the shift performance? I recently was given a 2016 limited lt1 rental when I was getting new tires and there was no difference in shifting from my car which is a 2011. But if I didn't have the reprogramming then yeah there was a big difference.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Didn't the tune take car of the shift performance? I recently was given a 2016 limited lt1 rental when I was getting new tires and there was no difference in shifting from my car which is a 2011. But if I didn't have the reprogramming then yeah there was a big difference.
My 2012 at times would shift poorly and I always wondered how bad is the 2011 of mine feels like this? Traded my cruze for a 2015 sonic, its amazing how smooth and precise this shifts in comparison.

·
2,170 Posts
My Cruze shifts as smoothly as I rev match and let the clutch out :)

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
215 Posts
Based on how much room I (5' 11") have, I can see someone of your stature being cramped. And at your height, anyone behind the driver's seat wouldn't have much room at all, if that's a consideration.

$8-9K sounds like a lot for an early model with that many miles - my '13 LT/RS only blue books for something like $8,800 with 65,000 mi. Even if the 1.4 does have a turbo that's more susceptible to poor maintenance, I wouldn't even consider a 1.8L just based on the output and fuel economy numbers and knowing it'll need a timing belt eventually; the 1.4's turbo is a possibility, the 1.8's timing belt is a certainty. I do not believe the 1.4's turbo is weak - I believe its tarnished record is primarily due to two things: GM really spaced on the early OLM's calibration and may have had some quality control problems, and that this engine isn't so over designed that it can withstand the average consumer with the mindset of "take it in for oil changes and when it starts making noise" (which is a good percentage of them). I've pushed my car hard enough at times, and seen the mileage a few others have accumulated on their original turbo, that I believe the turbo isn't a weak point when maintained properly. (Which, let me reiterate, starts with full synthetic oil changed at 5-8,000 mi. intervals.)

·
2,170 Posts
Unless you catch 2nd when it's in one of its moods?
The Amsoil synchromesh put a stop to that nonsense. The stock fluid was causing me to doubt my own driving abilities. Now it behaves properly, waiting to see if the TN summer temperatures cause the problems to return.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts