Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Been a member for awhile, had a Cruze LT with the RS package right after basic training when I got posted to Esquimalt on the west coast, needed more room and hauling for military kit + dive gear so I upgraded shortly thereafter to a Silverado. 4 years later, looking at getting a Cruze with a budget of preferably under $10K (Canadian). The thing is most models with the RS package usually hang around 12-13.5K. I was just wondering if it matters what trim level I get if I plan on getting a body kit, getting an aftermarket exhaust, air intake, etc. Fog lights would be nice but I think I can get aftermarket ones, not too sure.

In your guys opinion, what trim level would you guys suggest? I COULD maybe swing the 12.5-13K for an LT(Z) + RS but it'd be a tough go.

- Alex

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Since you're planning on a body kit don't bother with the RS trim. The bulk of the RS trim is a body kit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Auto or manual? Eco is lighter and gets you a MT option with turbo (but no room for spare Tire). 2011 Automatics have lower final drive over 2012+ (can be a good or bad thing). 1LT is auto only for 2011, not sure about newer years, and many have connectivity package.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
No attempt to threadjack, but I'm wondering if "heavily modified" includes the engine/drive train, is there an engine choice consideration? It seems to me that the 1.8L motor would be more "modifiable" than the 1.4L turbo engine. Certainly would want a manual transmission over the 2011/2012 automatic. I haven't paid much attention to this subject (too old to want to), but thought I'd ask.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hmmm, talking about a new vehicle with mods while when in uniform? Wonder if they would let me reenlist?

When I was in with the very first leave, buddy and I hitchhiked home in our uniforms, was over 500 miles, people were very nice back then with men (boys more like it, was only 18) and went out of there way to even drop us for at our door. At 78 bucks a month, sure couldn't afford even bus fair.

So when I got home, hitchhiked to Knaus Motors in Lake Forest, IL, knew the owner very well and asked him what he could do. Said I only have 65 bucks in my pocket so sold me a really nice 1948 Chrysler New Yorker and even put good tires on it, not new, but good. With this could drive my buddy back to our base so didn't have to hitchhike.

Anything more than this was completely out of the question, back then, we called this transportation. Not the best car to drive, but sure beat walking or hitchhiking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd prefer to stick to the 1.4L Turbo and Auto, my injury from the army severely limits my ability to operate a manual vehicle. Thanks all for the info though guys, appreciate it.

Hmmm, talking about a new vehicle with mods while when in uniform? Wonder if they would let me reenlist?

When I was in with the very first leave, buddy and I hitchhiked home in our uniforms, was over 500 miles, people were very nice back then with men (boys more like it, was only 18) and went out of there way to even drop us for at our door. At 78 bucks a month, sure couldn't afford even bus fair.

So when I got home, hitchhiked to Knaus Motors in Lake Forest, IL, knew the owner very well and asked him what he could do. Said I only have 65 bucks in my pocket so sold me a really nice 1948 Chrysler New Yorker and even put good tires on it, not new, but good. With this could drive my buddy back to our base so didn't have to hitchhike.

Anything more than this was completely out of the question, back then, we called this transportation. Not the best car to drive, but sure beat walking or hitchhiking.
Jealous you're an AESOP, was my first choice for VOT when I was switching from NESOP but was told it was full. Ended up a Cbt. Engineer instead :p

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'd prefer to stick to the 1.4L Turbo and Auto, my injury from the army severely limits my ability to operate a manual vehicle. Thanks all for the info though guys, appreciate it.

Jealous you're an AESOP, was my first choice for VOT when I was switching from NESOP but was told it was full. Ended up a Cbt. Engineer instead :p
An ECO auto should be the lightest but not 100% on that. I would just get the lowest model you can find, with the 1.4T and an auto trans if you plan on doing body, wheels, etc.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Auto or manual? Eco is lighter and gets you a MT option with turbo (but no room for spare Tire).
There actually is room for a spare tire they just don't come with one sadly =<

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
Eco is lighter and gets you a MT option with turbo (but no room for spare Tire).
The ECO MT has space for a spare - I've put spares into two different ECO MTs. The CTD doesn't as the DEF tank is in the spare tire well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts