Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Looks like I made a big mistake... goodbye turbo

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  cruze90 
#1 ·
So last weekend I was driving on the highway at 100km when the car started losing power & a warning appeared saying ‘service vehicle soon’.
By the time I got home the car could barely make it above 50km & was making strange noises when accelerating

I parked the car at my house and rang the dealership, who had serviced the vehicle only 6 months prior.
I booked my car in to be looked at, however when I started the car it was making a louder clunking noise so I turned it off.
I arranged for it to be towed to the dealership service centre.

The dealership have told me that the turbo has crapped itself & it will be a $3500 fix. Holden won't honour my warranty as I have missed 2 previous servicings, which I understand as I know it was a stupid mistake for me to miss them.

at the times of those two missed services (financial hardship meant unfortunately I couldn't get them completed) my Dad instead did both oil changes + swapped in a new oil filter.

Since those missed services I have had the car correctly serviced at a Holden dealership twice, and nothing has been mentioned about the quality if the oil.

I guess I wanted to ask you all if thats normal for it not to be picked up, at the last two services?

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure if that's normal in your situation but it's been my experience through life that many offer nice sounding warranties ect, then look for any little excuse not to honor them especially when there's big $$$ at stake.
Insurance companies are really bad for this too.
Good luck...

#8 · (Edited)
Were you obeying the oil life monitor for your oil change interval? What kind of oil (conventional or synthetic) did your dad use?
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the oil life monitor? Oil was Penrite Synthetic Dexos 2

Unless Australian dealerships are significantly more stringent on service for oil changes especially, I could not see that causing a powertrain warranty issue. Unless there are other underlying issues with the car. I have my transmission replaced 2 times and I have never taken my car in for service other than that. Contact our customer service on the forum, they will help if possible.
Thanks Patman I will contact them now.

Also after looking into my cars VIN, It shows I have an incomplete recall from 2013 for 'BRAKE VACUUM MICRO SWITCH REPLACE' I've had two official services since then too.

#6 · (Edited)
Unless Australian dealerships are significantly more stringent on service for oil changes especially, I could not see that causing a powertrain warranty issue. Unless there are other underlying issues with the car. I have my transmission replaced 2 times and I have never taken my car in for service other than that. Contact our customer service on the forum, they will help if possible.

#12 ·
I bought a Brand new Turbo Colt in 86 and two months later the Turbo was fried. Took it to Dodge and they told me I didn't use the correct oil and the warranty was void. I was never asked what kind of Oil I had used.

Bought a Brand New Subaru Turbo Forrester in 2004. Used Rain-X on the Windows. The Service director told me I voided my 10 day old new car Warranty.

Dealers will tell you almost anything not to do warranty work. Of course if you have missed services and don't have maintenance records available with detailed receipts of the parts & oil used the dealer will probably not be able to help you with a warranty claim.

#14 ·
It's possible your car doesn't have an OLM - it may not be standard equipment on Aussie cars. At any rate, what does the owner's manual say about oil change interval?

Isn't Dexos2 recommended for all engines in a lot of areas outside the US? I'm under the impression it's a dual-use oil but US fuel economy regulations dictate the need for thinner more emissions-friendly oil, hence Dexos1.

#16 ·
Once a year is a good rule of thumb, but over and above that - possibly jumping over to the supplimental service manual - does it say to change oil at a certain mileage or follow the OLM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.