Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was in Nashville this weekend and when I went to leave a light there would be a delay then it would slam into first. Did this during the whole trip once I got into 75 degree + weather. Got stuck in traffic on the drive back and it was so bad I was able to record the car shaking when it shifted to first with my phone.

Also noticed a long delay when shifting from reverse to drive.

It was slamming into second gear as well on multiple occasions.

It's not the fluid. The fluid is full and clean, had transmission cooler lines replaced earlier this month and fluid swapped a few months back.

I have had issues with this transmission when the weather gets hot for the last year. The problem is finally bad enough to replicate consistently.

Gonna get it looked at tomorrow and go from there. I know we had one other member experience the same issue and had his tranmission replaced. I'm at just over 87k miles.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
My AT problems really started when they went electrical/electronic, no more control valve that was controlled by the gear shift lever, mechanical governor was replaced with a Vss speed sensor and an 89 cent microcontroller. Use to be a separate module with a PROM, now part of the ECU with code stored in flashram.

Cruze uses eight solenoid valves that get from the ECU to the AT with mechanical switches whose contacts can get dirty via an electrical connector that is exposed to road salt. Also has pressure and temperature sensors, and a brake switch that must be closed with your foot off the brake, more dirty contacts. About the only thing the gear shift does manually is lock a pawl in a gear when in parked.

Same microcontroller that does the controlling diagnoses itself, can be flashram problems. How can it diagnose itself? Ha, had kids with AT problems, shop says you need a new AT, can you still drive it? Yeah, bring it home, spend about a day cleaning switch contacts and connector terminals, both male and female sides, they they are good to go again.

Use to use a pressure gauge on RWD vehicles to determine mechanical problems, but couldn't do this anymore with FWD, ports are blocked by the engine.

Still covered by the PT warranty?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Ours just hates WOT downshifting.

The more precarious the situation, the more it does not want to downshift in a timely fashion (i.e. If you are in the oncoming lane, in order to pass a vehicle, with your foot to the floor, with oncoming traffic a reasonable distance away if you gun it around someone...less reasonable if the ******* thing doesn't downshift).

·
Registered
197 Posts
What kind of fluid did you use?

After looking around for other cars that use the transmission, I looked like most of the replaceable stuff was easy to get to from the outside and just changing the fluid would solve the problem a lot of times. There was some arguments on a Saab site about sheathed or not to use synthetic ATF, but I figured there are enough folks here that have used it long enough for the problems they though might happen to have occurred by now. They didn't have any examples of those kind of problems happening to anyone with this transmission that I could find.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm dealing with the same thing, when the transmission is hot. I can also happen in winter after a period of highway driving 60+ mph. It can be pretty scary and embarrassing. Sometimes it doesn't do it. My SM is waiting for a related CEL. I don't think that is going to happen. I had the transmission serviced a couple months ago but that did not help.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I'm dealing with the same thing, when the transmission is hot. I can also happen in winter after a period of highway driving 60+ mph. It can be pretty scary and embarrassing. Sometimes it doesn't do it. My SM is waiting for a related CEL. I don't think that is going to happen. I had the transmission serviced a couple months ago but that did not help.
MilTownSHO and Barefeet, do not let this go. The dealer has got to get to the bottom of this while you still have powertrain warranty. The dealer should contact GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) and get a SPAC number assigned to your case. If they do not provide you with the SPAC number, send a PM on CruzeTalk to Chevy Customer Care. They will coordinate with the Dealer and GM.

With my VW TDI (I know, different vehicle) I had the very same thing happen with the 2009 DSG transmission at 82,000 miles. The jerk action felt like someone rear ended me when starting from a dead stop. Not consistently, but a lot of the time. Sometimes it even slipped into neutral and would not accelerate from a stop at all without a shift to Park first.

Because the problem could not be replicated, the dealer sent me home numerous times. After the 4th visit, the service manager and I agreed to escalate with VW. The transmission was ultimately replaced (after 4 weeks at the dealer) and because it was out of powertrain warranty, VW prorated the repair, I paid 40% and they paid the rest.

I don't know if these transmissions are even remotely similar but what IS similar is you need to stick with it and get it resolved. Whether it's simply a fluid change or something worse, what you're describing is not normal and the trans shouldn't be having these types of issues at 70-80K miles.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Reactions: Barefeet

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
MilTownSHO and Barefeet, do not let this go. The dealer has got to get to the bottom of this while you still have powertrain warranty. The dealer should contact GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) and get a SPAC number assigned to your case. If they do not provide you with the SPAC number, send a PM on CruzeTalk to Chevy Customer Care. They will coordinate with the Dealer and GM.
Couple of things, I work for a Chevy dealer so I'm not worried about it not getting resolved. TAC was contacted and we are waiting to hear back, if the tech doesn't hear back by Wednesday we will call for a follow up.

A SPAC case is for parts that are unavailable, you won't get one for a TAC case.

I will update when we hear back from TAC.

As for the transmission, it was better for a few days while it was cooler, an occasional hard downshift but not as alarming as when I was on my trip. On Sunday when it got over 90 degrees, it was acting up again. Long delays leaving lights and a hard slam into first. Today, about 20 degrees cooler, it didn't have a problem with leaving a light, but it was downshifting very hard into 3rd and even once into 4th.

I'm guessing TAC is going to say a valve body problem or just replace the unit since not much is serviceable through GM according to SI.

It has something to do with temperature the best I can figure. Almost reminds me of a fluid concern, but once again mine is full and fresh.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For anyone who cares, TAC made us do a drive and send them the transmission module data. We hooked up the computer and bookmarked when it acted up during the drive.

After they received the data they called two days later and said to replace the transmission.

Either way, new transmission is ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
For anyone who cares, TAC made us do a drive and send them the transmission module data. We hooked up the computer and bookmarked when it acted up during the drive.

After they received the data they called two days later and said to replace the transmission.

Either way, new transmission is ordered.
Glad to hear your getting a new transmission. What fluid did you use for the change?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was in Nashville this weekend and when I went to leave a light there would be a delay then it would slam into first. Did this during the whole trip once I got into 75 degree + weather. Got stuck in traffic on the drive back and it was so bad I was able to record the car shaking when it shifted to first with my phone.

Also noticed a long delay when shifting from reverse to drive.

It was slamming into second gear as well on multiple occasions.

It's not the fluid. The fluid is full and clean, had transmission cooler lines replaced earlier this month and fluid swapped a few months back.

I have had issues with this transmission when the weather gets hot for the last year. The problem is finally bad enough to replicate consistently.

Gonna get it looked at tomorrow and go from there. I know we had one other member experience the same issue and had his tranmission replaced. I'm at just over 87k miles.
I had the same exact problem with the same exact symptoms. The dealer ordered a new transmission which is being installed as I write. The car has about 65K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2011 had the same issues. It started shifting different but not anything to write home about then the wife said it wasn't shifting correctly and then we were lucky to get it to the dealer because it acted like it was in 2 gears at once until it got moving. I ended up making a few phone calls to the right people and basically got a $3,500 trans for $1500. The car was just out of powertrain warranty but only had 89,000 miles.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Shop manuals use to have a description of operation, not doing this anymore, not even a complete circuit diagram. Guess as to whether they are using power MOSFET transistors or just point contact switches, circuit shows point contact switches within the confines of the transmission.

Shows eight pressure switches that I am assuming are taking the control of the solenoid valves, don't even say what they are for. Labeled pressure switch 1, then 2, and so forth.

Gather all they can do is to replace the transmission. Also controlled by the BCM and the ECU, also a good question is what is controlling what. All they can do is to replace the transmission and hope that is the problem, still can be a BDC and/or an ECU problem with code stored in flashram.

With older electronically controlled transmission, had a description of operation, trouble shooting data, and test points. After looking at this, last two GM vehicles had a manual transmission, but you can't buy these anymore unless you get a base model.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
My car sometimes seems to have a harsh downshift, it feels like a 6-5 shift but maybe a 5-4 shift. Either way passengers will sometimes ask what happened and I just tell them it's still under warranty. Problem is I can't always duplicate it

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Update since I never did one, new transmission is in and it shifts better than the day I drove it off the lot brand new.
Good news. How many miles on the original trans? Covered under warranty?

Glad you're back on the road!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Trans Leak

Took the ‘14 CTD (77,000 miles) in to check on a persistent oil leak. The oil pan and trans had a film down both sides that was difficult to trace down without having the car up on a rack.

Got a call today (2 days later) from service manager, found leaking transmission. To my amazement they have already commenced the search for a replacement transmission. I was reassured at least twice this was no charge to me, covered under powertrain warranty. They said the Aisin (diesel) transmission is “not serviceable” so GM just sends out a new transmission.

I did the 3x fluid service with Amsoil this summer (about 6-7K miles ago). Fluid was BLACK. The trans has been working flawlessly, no CELs or issues other than the leak. When I serviced the trans, I noticed the leaking so I wiped it clean to see if it was just spillage from careless oil changes by previous owner.

But at the last oil change I noticed the leak had returned, with fluid blown rearward along the undercarriage. So I brought it in for a look see...and well, here we go. They’re trying to locate a trans, not sure how long it’ll be.

Will post updates along the way.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,884 Posts
Could you see where the leak was propagating from?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Took the ‘14 CTD (77,000 miles) in to check on a persistent oil leak. The oil pan and trans had a film down both sides that was difficult to trace down without having the car up on a rack.

Got a call today (2 days later) from service manager, found leaking transmission. To my amazement they have already commenced the search for a replacement transmission. I was reassured at least twice this was no charge to me, covered under powertrain warranty. They said the Aisin (diesel) transmission is “not serviceable” so GM just sends out a new transmission.

I did the 3x fluid service with Amsoil this summer (about 6-7K miles ago). Fluid was BLACK. The trans has been working flawlessly, no CELs or issues other than the leak. When I serviced the trans, I noticed the leaking so I wiped it clean to see if it was just spillage from careless oil changes by previous owner.

But at the last oil change I noticed the leak had returned, with fluid blown rearward along the undercarriage. So I brought it in for a look see...and well, here we go. They’re trying to locate a trans, not sure how long it’ll be.

Will post updates along the way.
I sure like the 5 year 100k warranty, if this were newer gm product you would be pretty upset to have to pay for replacement

Reactions: Rivergoer
1 - 20 of 40 Posts