Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my OEM iridium spark plugs at 65k miles back in June 2013 with more OEM NGK plugs. I gapped the new ones to 0.028", tightened them down, and thought I was done. Fast forward to last week, when I get a ticking noise at low RPM. It's all the gears, but between 900-1400 RPM when a slight load is placed onto the engine. At the time my waterpump was on the fritz, so I thought it was that. Got the pump replaced, that doesn't fix it. I had some mechanic buddies try to diagnose it, and they were stumped. I had time recently to look at it while doing more research.

Turns out, it was the #2 plug working its way out and rattling around! That plug was barely even finger-tight. I torqued them properly on install, and re-tightened them on re-install. The tick went away.

So, if you have a mystery tick that you can't diagnose, check your spark plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Wow! Good thing that you discovered what it was! My NGK plugs have been in for about 20,000 miles. I think I'm going to recheck all of them.

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,320 Posts
I had a 2.0 Honda that used to vibrate the freaking plugs loose over time (or more commonly unscrew the little caps on the plug and knock the wire off). I wonder if the 1.4s vibrate so much that they do the same. The engine mounts on this car are hugemous.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Most likely it's a case of a single spark plug with just a hare smaller base coming loose. I've seen incandescent light bulbs do the same and they're not subject to constant vibrations. Part of the ignition coil's boot job is to help prevent this.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At least it's getting out there as a potential issue to keep aware of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this thread is old but I thought I would pass this along. I recently gave my 2011 cruze to my 17 year old son to drive (I bought a Camaro, I am a GM kind of guy) and he was complaining of a ticking sound. I listened but could not locate. After some reading on this forum I went to check the plugs. Sure enough #2 was finger loose! I bought some new plugs and tightened them to torque spec and noise is gone. Car only has 51,000 miles. I have had some large "beast' engines over the years and I never had a spark plug come loose. Thanks to everyone on this forum, saved some money and of course headaches!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Loose spark plugs almost got me tonight! I had a chirping noise coming from the throttle body rubbing just a little on one of the black mounts next to the valve cover, and thought I solved the mystery. As i'm driving around trying to break in my new tires the noise comes back, so I stopped and looked under the hood, the chirp was now coming from the coil pack, went back home, and all 4 spark plugs were way loose, very bad, torqued them down to 18 ft lb, double checked that the springs were free on the coil pack, and drove around for a good 2 hours...I can't remember the last time my cruze ran this great!

Don't know if it was driving around with a burst valve cover diaphram and bad pcv valve for a month and then the sudden pressure change from fixing both of those issues, or transitioning from Georgia humidity to Oklahoma cold nights, but i'm glad they didn't blow out on me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had the plugs on my car come loose after I torqued them to 18 ft lb so I go to 21 ft lbs now and check them every time I change the oil. Mine made a chirping sound at take off i thought one of my engine mounts was squeaking. I had a **** of a time figuring that out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had the plugs on my car come loose after I torqued them to 18 ft lb so I go to 21 ft lbs now and check them every time I change the oil. Mine made a chirping sound at take off i thought one of my engine mounts was squeaking. I had a **** of a time figuring that out.
There are a lot of products for stripped spark plug threads....and in the other loose spark plug threads on the forum it's accepted that they'll continue to come loose until they're replaced and installed correctly.

I'm too paranoid as it is, last time I took it my cruze in for a trans fluid flush at a dealership they had me sit around for 4 hours when I scheduled the service, then told me some nonsense about needing 11 quarts of fluid that they didn't have, but they had enough for a drain and fill, which I instantly realized was a made up # and not the spec for transmission...then a week later the PCV valve goes and the valve cover too... and now the loose plugs come to light. It's a good thing i'm way out of warranty, because i'm done being at the mercy of any shop that doesn't let me have line of sight while they do any work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They weren't striped. they just worked themselves loose.
I meant that to me it seems like a safer option to get 4 new spark plugs with uncompressed rings, and install them to spec, than place the unnecessary torque on those aluminum threads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts