Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[FONT=&quot]Although an actual production slowdown has been postponed indefinitely, General Motors has announced a third week of downtime is coming for the Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to local news affiliate WKBN27, the Chevrolet Cruze’s birthplace will shut down for one week beginning on July 17. The previously announced two-week shutdown will still take place in June and July for a total of three idle weeks at the Lordstown facility.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]UAW Local 1714 President Robert Morales confirmed the additional downtime and stated the third week is part of General Motors’ strategy to realign supply with market demand. The 2017 Chevrolet Cruze has been largely overshadowed by crossovers, trucks and SUVs since it went on sale—a far cry from the booming success of the first generation compact car.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]GM builds the Chevrolet Cruze hatchback variant in Mexico, a decision President Donald Trump has lambasted in the past. In the process, he threatened a 35 percent import tax on U.S. vehicles made in Mexico coming back into the country.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Read more: GM Lordstown Shutting Down For Third Week | GM Authority[/FONT]

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
If I read this correctly, the Gen 2 Cruze is not selling enough to keep up with production, and they are blaming it on people preferring SUVs, not on the design of the Gen 2 itself. Interesting.

When I purchased my Gen 1 Cruze, I thought I would probably upgrade to a new one at about 3 years. When 3 years came, I found that there are a lot of things I don't like about the Gen 2 Cruze, so I didn't upgrade. I wonder if other people have had the same thought.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If I read this correctly, the Gen 2 Cruze is not selling enough to keep up with production, and they are blaming it on people preferring SUVs, not on the design of the Gen 2 itself. Interesting.

When I purchased my Gen 1 Cruze, I thought I would probably upgrade to a new one at about 3 years. When 3 years came, I found that there are a lot of things I don't like about the Gen 2 Cruze, so I didn't upgrade. I wonder if other people have had the same thought.
Or perhaps the Mexican Cruzes are simply flooding the U.S. & Canada market as planned? I sat in a new CRUZE Hatch for about an hour at a Dealership and I felt my 2014 looked more stylish. Sure I've seen the expensive top of the line Gen 2 CRUZE which looks very nice too!

So, might be a good time to get one.....

Anyone found any great deals yet?
25% off all new CRUZE units this past weekend, helps with the instant loss in value!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I found that there are a lot of things I don't like about the Gen 2 Cruze, so I didn't upgrade. I wonder if other people have had the same thought.
I think crossovers and SUVs as a whole have done better than compact cars across different brands - so it's probably not a problem unique to the Cruze.

Put the blame low gas prices. If went go back to $4-5/gal, they'd be flying off the lots.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
When fuel prices are low to modest, folks buy what they prefer, by and large it isn't a Cruze. I think the gen 2 is fine just not very exciting unless you get the premier. The biggest thing I would like is the Apple play.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The gen 2 for a car from 18-25 range is a very nice car, cars are not selling like they did a few years ago..I wouldn't go to gen 3 yet...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Up here, every GM dealer is loaded with SUV's, Vans, and Pickup Trucks, lucky to see half a dozen of compact cars. And of course, our roads are loaded with these super large vehicles, beginning to wonder if its even safe to drive a compact car, really have to watch out for these guys, gals are even worse.

Only have three kinds of dealers left, GMC, super large trucks and tons of used school buses. Chevy/Cadillac, and just Buick dealerships. Saturn huge dealership was taken over by some guy selling granite kitchen counter tops, talk about a huge overhead.

Its rare to see more than one driver in these huge things, looked at the window sticker for EPA fuel economy, not required. Chevy/Cadillac dealer only has one Cadillac, also a compact class car, been sitting their for a long time, wonder how long Cadillac's will be around.

Sure burns a lot of gas with these huge vehicles, that is a supply and demand market, sure aiding in increasing the price of fuel. Feel us compact car drivers are becoming a rare breed.

Ford and Chrysler dealers are the same.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Put a 2.0T motor on the option list at a reasonable price and they will sell. Oh I forgot about your average fuel consumption laws. I suppose a SUV must use less fuel than a 2.0T car would.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Every time this thread comes around, people come in and say how they like the first gen so much more than the second gen. Styling is subjective, and frankly most people prefer the new Cruze over the old. Rear seat room, trunk space, performance, standard features, the list goes on. People are buying SUVs, because bigger is better; MURICA.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
With all the SUVs, It gives heart to the truth/reality behind the Rush song Red Barchetta. All in all a time when cars are outlawed and most people have larger SUV type vehicles.
If not so much the outlawing of cars, then the story behind A Nice Morning Drive.

·
2,254 Posts
I think part of it has to do with pricing as well.

We have a new Gen 2 Cruze LS here on the lot for 18k.

Why would I buy one of those when I could get an brand new Elantra base for 13k WITH CRUISE CONTROL and a 10 year warranty?

Or a Kia (they're the same)

Reactions: dhpnet

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Really don't like a large vehicle like an SUV or a pickup on my butt. So far pushing that hazard button works.

Wife is still frightened when driving after a year when she was rear ended by these idiots that drive these things.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I think part of it has to do with pricing as well.

We have a new Gen 2 Cruze LS here on the lot for 18k.

Why would I buy one of those when I could get an brand new Elantra base for 13k WITH CRUISE CONTROL and a 10 year warranty?

Or a Kia (they're the same)
Interesting, because I am in a Chevrolet dealership and on our campus is a Hyundai dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Every time this thread comes around, people come in and say how they like the first gen so much more than the second gen. Styling is subjective, and frankly most people prefer the new Cruze over the old. Rear seat room, trunk space, performance, standard features, the list goes on. People are buying SUVs, because bigger is better; MURICA.
I think the Gen 2 Cruze looks nice. It's the engineering that keeps me from upgrading right now (auto start-stop, direct injection, aluminum block, engine crammed into a tiny engine bay, battery in a swimming pool in the trunk, manual shift mode is just a switch, push button start, I can't get a sunroof without buying almost every upgrade package. To name just a few.). I have had other cars that had as much interior space, got better gas mileage and didn't have any of that garbage. I may buy a new Cruze some day, but I will research all of my options before deciding.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Really don't like a large vehicle like an SUV or a pickup on my butt. So far pushing that hazard button works.
I tend to find that most these drivers that enjoy seeing my bumper and try to "draft me" will only do so at the speed limit.
This may surprise some, but typically I will just get out of their way and let them pass if I don't feel like seeing how much they really don't feel the "need for speed"
and lose them @ 10 -15 mph over for a short time. Once I have proved my point, I typically won't see them any more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts