Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Cruze we bought it with 29k miles in March 2017. I have filled the coolant reservoir tank up 4 times since buying it. I took it to the dealer with 35k miles on it 3 weeks ago. They pressure tested and found no external leaks. Today the service guy told me they were going to remove the intake manifold and check it. Does coolant pass through the intake I have never seen any that do and they are going to see if it is going out the exhaust. Then if that isn't it he said they were going to start tearing the motor down. I have already opened a case with GM 2 weeks ago about the multiple issues that we have had such as the car being in park and going down the driveway in park.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I believe the turbo is water cooled and it's part of the intake.

The Cruze is prone to a number of external leaks, but there have been a few people here who had internal ones.

·
10,712 Posts
I have never heard a turbo being water cooled.
They usually are, Subaru even adds a coolant tank dedicated to it's turbo for the older models. Not sure of the newer ones with the turbo buried under the engine. When I was foolishly trying to turbo a brand new 2002 Dodge Neon YEARS BACK, the turbo I had was off a super old K car was water cooled.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
It is probably the water outlet that is leaking but getting burnt up and evaporating on the head. I had smell on my car and losing very little coolant until they replaced my water outlet. Probably the water pump too. I passed all the pressure tests too from the dealer. Plastic water outlet is a piece of junk on these cars.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If it is internal it is coming out the tailpipe or it was never filled all the way.
Depending on the amount, it might be hard to detect white smoke.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had the same issue and finally discovered a tiny leak at the connection between the upper radiator hose and the water outlet. Needless to say it took me about a month to catch it happening as the coolant drips onto engine and evaporates. Gonna fix as soon as new outlet arrives. Best of luck to you.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I have had the same issue and finally discovered a tiny leak at the connection between the upper radiator hose and the water outlet. Needless to say it took me about a month to catch it happening as the coolant drips onto engine and evaporates. Gonna fix as soon as new outlet arrives. Best of luck to you.
Get a bottle of GM Coolant Dye (they're $10-20) and put it in. This dye will leave a florescent residue wherever the leak is occurring. Makes finding coolant leaks so much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts