Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Losing power during gear change

2468 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Jaz
I don't know if anyone else is suffering this, but when my auto changes it sometimes has a very long pause before the next gear engages.

It is definitely more noticeable when it is down shifting as I give it a bit of "gusto", but is also there during standard shift driving

There is a pause of around 1 second and then you can definitely feel the bump as it re-engages

I know I am due for a service, but only the general engine oil and filter changes

Is this something that anyone else has encountered?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Yes, and all that has happened the transmission re-learns after 120 miles and back to square one. GM says it's just the transmission in how it's designed.
At times when coasting or at a stop, it will shift to neutral. Sometimes you can surprise it and the re-engage is rather abrupt. (Mine seems to have learned my driving style and seems to run just fine.)

If that's not what you're experiencing, I'd be concerned.
At times when coasting or at a stop, it will shift to neutral. Sometimes you can surprise it and the re-engage is rather abrupt. (Mine seems to have learned my driving style and seems to run just fine.)

If that's not what you're experiencing, I'd be concerned.
I know that when at coast or stopped it will shift into neutral, but this is while travelling at 60-80kph (40-50mph) sometimes even at 100kph

Would it be just a fluid change? or something more sinister
I think you are experiencing torque management. The engine cuts power between shifts. My Corvette does the same thing to a certain extent.
Sorry, I just noticed that this is in the 1.8L section. I have no idea about that engine. I've got the 1.4T.
This behavior is normal with the motor/trans combo.
So I put the car up on a hoist and noticed a leak coming from the trans cooler.
The leak was from a cracked trans cooler hose which was causing it to use more oil.
Replaced the hoses, new oil in tranny and she is as good as new.
Spoke to a mate who works at a holden dealership and he said it is a 'common' problem
$200 and a couple of hours work
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.