Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is the second time this has happened. mainly while driving through the mountains the power of the turbo goes in and out. first time, a few weeks ago the engine light came on and went off in a day, power came back. this just happen again yesterday so engine light is still on but my power is back to the motor??? still has some hesitation that comes and goes, 62,000 miles, stock everything on a 2014 1.4L well i did fix that Leakey PCV valve back at 35,000 miles

·
Registered
31 Posts
I deal with that issue too sometime. I have my wastegate stiffer than stock so when I get on the hills in NJ/PA sometimes it will cut back. I have a boost guage & it will cut boost to 4 psi. Not fun. What gas are u running?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
83, cheap ****.. lol i just got back from p.a., have family in hollidaysburg area. i live in n.c. i was in v.a. when engine light came on and loss power, it just kept coming and going.. hope the turbo isnt bad

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,708 Posts
83, cheap ****.. lol i just got back from p.a., have family in hollidaysburg area. i live in n.c. i was in v.a. when engine light came on and loss power, it just kept coming and going.. hope the turbo isnt bad
The minimum octane for a Cruze is 87. No wonder it's throwing codes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,936 Posts
Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0299

·
16,708 Posts
i meant 87.. do they even sell 83 anymore?
Not to my knowledge but haven't been all over the US. I've definitely seen 85.

My 2012 threw an underboost code climbing through West VA running 89. The pivot pins on the turbos do start to wear out, and these cars do develop boost leaks around the throttle body hose that can cause them to leak enough air to trigger that code. That said, I never saw it again in the next year and a half.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
this is the second time this has happened. mainly while driving through the mountains the power of the turbo goes in and out. first time, a few weeks ago the engine light came on and went off in a day, power came back. this just happen again yesterday so engine light is still on but my power is back to the motor??? still has some hesitation that comes and goes, 62,000 miles, stock everything on a 2014 1.4L well i did fix that Leakey PCV valve back at 35,000 miles
Not sure if this will help but what you have explained seems similar to what I have seen with my Cruze.

I have seen this code twice on my car. The first time was a couple years ago. I was in the WV mountains. Limped to where I was going to and let it sit for a few hours, return trip went fine.

I replaced a leaking oil pan gasket earlier this year and saw the normal crack near the wastegate while I was in there.

A few weeks later I ran into a loss of power and p0299 code on the way to my brothers wedding trying to keep up with the group. After sitting a while to cool off, it was fine on the return trip again.

What i I feel is happening with mine is that crack in the turbo is opening up when things get hot enough causing a boost leak. Once it cools it closes back up and runs fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if this will help but what you have explained seems similar to what I have seen with my Cruze.

I have seen this code twice on my car. The first time was a couple years ago. I was in the WV mountains. Limped to where I was going to and let it sit for a few hours, return trip went fine.

I replaced a leaking oil pan gasket earlier this year and saw the normal crack near the wastegate while I was in there.

A few weeks later I ran into a loss of power and p0299 code on the way to my brothers wedding trying to keep up with the group. After sitting a while to cool off, it was fine on the return trip again.

What i I feel is happening with mine is that crack in the turbo is opening up when things get hot enough causing a boost leak. Once it cools it closes back up and runs fine.
yes! i have read up on this as well... not sure if its the cause but it definitely could be... i bought the car used at 30,000 miles and it has never performed well when stomping the gas pedal to the floor, only 50% to 60% does it build boost... wonder if thats a leak some where elese??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to my knowledge but haven't been all over the US. I've definitely seen 85.

My 2012 threw an underboost code climbing through West VA running 89. The pivot pins on the turbos do start to wear out, and these cars do develop boost leaks around the throttle body hose that can cause them to leak enough air to trigger that code. That said, I never saw it again in the next year and a half.

my wife said the check engine light went off today like nothing ever happened???? what the **** chevy?? i have owned chevys my entire life but not happy with the problems coming from this cruze at all...

·
16,708 Posts
my wife said the check engine light went off today like nothing ever happened???? what the **** chevy?? i have owned chevys my entire life but not happy with the problems coming from this cruze at all...
If the car goes through a couple drive cycles without the condition reoccurring, the check engine light will reset itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds a lot like a problem I was having in my 2014 ECO around 70k miles. I let it get a bit out of hand and the dealer ended up replacing a cylinder head, but at least it was covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. If something else is going to break, I hope it breaks soon--I only have 7,000 more miles left on the warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This sounds like what is happening to my Cruze right now. I started having that power loss while on the gas awhile back almost every trip I took. Some times the CEL would come and other times it wouldn't. Eventually I started getting the P0299 code consistently. I checked a few things and then decided to start small by installing the ZZP wastegate actuator to replace the junk stock one along with a boost gauge. I am still getting the same power loss.

What I have found so far is that boost builds just fine after first starting the car and getting on the road. It never goes higher than 7-10 PSI of boost though before I experience the power loss. After the power loss boost never builds past 0. Overall, I am chalking this up to a s***y turbo. I did a boost leak test and all is fine in that regard, at least when the car is cooled and not running. At this point I am thinking the turbo housing is cracked and expands enough when heated to cause a major boost leak or the turbine stops spinning in the housing causing a severe lack of air flow to build the boost.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
thank you, ill post my findings... not at all familiar with turbo cars so this will be fun

This sounds like what is happening to my Cruze right now. I started having that power loss while on the gas awhile back almost every trip I took. Some times the CEL would come and other times it wouldn't. Eventually I started getting the P0299 code consistently. I checked a few things and then decided to start small by installing the ZZP wastegate actuator to replace the junk stock one along with a boost gauge. I am still getting the same power loss.

What I have found so far is that boost builds just fine after first starting the car and getting on the road. It never goes higher than 7-10 PSI of boost though before I experience the power loss. After the power loss boost never builds past 0. Overall, I am chalking this up to a s***y turbo. I did a boost leak test and all is fine in that regard, at least when the car is cooled and not running. At this point I am thinking the turbo housing is cracked and expands enough when heated to cause a major boost leak or the turbine stops spinning in the housing causing a severe lack of air flow to build the boost.

P0299 is also an indication that the intake PCV valve is going bad.

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Also about the ZZP WGA:
Important: This product will help avoid a P0299 "under boost" code, but will also increase your chance of getting a P0234 "over boost" code. Depending on how your car is tuned, this will most likely require a PCM file update. (i.e. Get a tune)

·
Registered
20 Posts
P0299 is also an indication that the intake PCV valve is going bad.

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

Also about the ZZP WGA:
Important: This product will help avoid a P0299 "under boost" code, but will also increase your chance of getting a P0234 "over boost" code. Depending on how your car is tuned, this will most likely require a PCM file update. (i.e. Get a tune)
Yup. Was getting p0299 before adding the ZZP WGA. Now getting p0234 with it “aometimes”. I am still getting the p0299 all the time though so that leads me to keep digging for other issues beyond the WGA well known issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
Yup. Was getting p0299 before adding the ZZP WGA. Now getting p0234 with it “aometimes”. I am still getting the p0299 all the time though so that leads me to keep digging for other issues beyond the WGA well known issue.
The check for the PCV valve in the intake is relatively easy and pain free although not an absolute guarantee it is OK if it is still there. The cost of the kit is well worth the saved aggravation.. I would at least do that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The check for the PCV valve in the intake is relatively easy and pain free although not an absolute guarantee it is OK if it is still there. The cost of the kit is well worth the saved aggravation.. I would at least do that.
Apologies. I failed to confirm that I did that middle of last year. I totally forgot you mentioned doing that. Auper easy to do as you stated.

·
Super Moderator
7,936 Posts
Apologies. I failed to confirm that I did that middle of last year. I totally forgot you mentioned doing that. Auper easy to do as you stated.
So you are still getting P0299?

Just for grins...
Potential causes of a P0299 turbo underboost code include:

Intake (induction) air restriction or leak
Failed or damaged turbocharger (sticking, binding, etc.)
Faulty boost/charge pressure sensor

Read more at: P0299 Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition

From another website
Possible Causes
  • Damaged turbocharger (TC) wastegate regulating valve solenoid
  • Stuck TC wastegate regulating solenoid valve
  • Wastegate stuck open
  • Wastegate control hose open or plugged
  • Air leak between turbocharger and throttle
I forget, have you done a boost leak test?
GM 1.4L Turbo Boost & Coolant Leak Testing Kits

1 - 20 of 34 Posts