Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Lost power for 3 seconds with Service Stability Warning

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Rivergoer 
No I have not. Would it be covered? Bought from used dealer last May and it has 103k miles
Not to sound snarky but whatever it ends up costing you it will be less than the alternator you replaced.

Though not your fault, it wouldn’t be the first time that someone sought advice in a similar situation and needlessly replaced their alternator.

So you essentially believe I unnecessarily changed my alternator? I knew I should have just taken it in for a servicing!

Why would it be performing better now though after the switch? The car almost wouldn't run at all before the switch..
It’s possible that the existing alternator was functioning correctly. No one will know for sure until that original alternator is tested by a qualified dealer with the appropriate equipment and following the required procedure.

I’ve been on this forum for over five years, and in that time I’ve observed many people act out of anxiety and fear of getting ripped off at the dealer - only to end up paying more by seeking cheaper options. Batteries and alternators are the most common.

Free advice at a part store doesn’t always save money.

In this case, testing an alternator or battery at a parts store is not as simple as it seems. It’s not a matter of checking your oil level or tire pressure.

The charging system employed in the cruze is quite complex and likely beyond the scope of knowledge of the vast majority of people pushing parts.

The symptoms you describe fit with those associated with a bad negative ground cable. Your battery may also have been drained, but could still be good if desulphated and charged on an appropriate charger, like a Midtronics, CTEK or NOCO.

Your situation may have improved by simply having the cables moved and tightened. That could be one explanation. In addition, any new battery will perform better than a flattened one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.